News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What's Cooking?

Started by Bad Penny II, August 22, 2018, 02:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Biggus Dickus

I spent the weekend canning soup,...I'm freaking exhausted!

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Recusant

Heh, there you go. The first thing that came to my mind was sealing them in pure nitrogen, immediately dismissed since it shouldn't improve the shelf life of the soup. Way to spoil the joke, eh? :excuse:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

do you people eat pancakes? its an american tradition, but i cant remember whether you brits or southern folks do them.

buttermilk pancakes

2.5 cups plain white flour

3 tablespoons white sugar

2 teaspooons sodium bicarbonate. dunno what its called overseas. baking soda?

2 teasoons salt

1.5 teaspoons baking powder. you can skip this if you add a little more sodium bicarbonate

2.5 cups buttermilk

3 oz butter. melt it.

two or three eggs, beat em a little.

the acidic buttermilk activates the baking soda to produce carbon dioxide, which bubbles into the batter and makes the pancakes airy.. if you dont have buttermilk you can use milk and just increase the baking powder to compensate. or you can use ordinary milk and squirt in some lemon juice. if you use too much baking powder tho the pancakes will taste metallic because of the aluminosilicates. you can buy non-aluminum baking powder, or just stick with the bicarbonate.

mix all the dry stuff together, then put in the liquids, and stir it all up ONLY UNTIL THE DRY STUFF IS WETTED. the mixture will be lumpy. if you keep stirring until the batter is smooth your pancakes will be dense and leathery.

take an iron frying pan and heat it up with some olive oil or something in it. when a few drops of water skitter across the surface its hot enough. turn the heat down to medium.

dip in about a half cup of batter. let it cook until there are bubbles rising through most of the surface. then turn it over, and cook some more until the interior is dry.

this batter will turn out to be thicker than you think appropriate. try it first and see, because it usually works okay, but if not, add a little more buttermilk and stir it in just enough to mix.

this is an easy thing to make. i m not racing until next summer, so im eating carbohydrates for a while in spite of the weight i know ill gain. while im on the road i eat almost nothing except dried meat, canned fish, and hard cheese. so when im at the house i get a chance to actually eat real food. miso and tofu and plants and such.

are pancakes real food? you make em and decide.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

In this part of the world we wouldn't call those pancakes. Our pancakes are identical to the French crepes; I suspect the Huguenots brought them here from France in the 17th century, and they have become one of our traditional dishes.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

obviously the name is generic. i know nothing of your region's cooking. what cultures got blended into your food?

i had a schoolteacher once who spent a few weeks on a houseboat somewhere in kashmir over the summer. he got homesick for american food and wanted pancakes, so went to town and bought all the necessary ingredients, including a bottle of maple syrup.

americans like that stuff, even though 99 percent of what s sold is just artificially flavored high fructose corn syrup.

anyway, he handed it off to the indian who was doing the cooking, who was totally mystified by the assignment. apparently the result was sort of half way between a chapatti and an american taco-- large,flat, and crispy. it was also quite sweet because the cook had poured all the maple syrup into the batter. not a successful recipe, but certainly memorable

hermes2015

The traditional food here is very varied. African food, unlike the rest of the continent, is not very prominent, apart from a few theme restaurants visited by tourists and locals. Since the mid 17th century, there have been successive waves of Dutch, British, French, German, and Portuguese immigrants. A huge influx was from Dutch colonies in Asia like Indonesia, as well as Indians. All these groups brought their food, making for a an interesting mixed cuisine. Later arrivals were Jewish refugees rom Eastern Europe, making this one of the countries with the largest Jewish communities in the world. There are also many Lebanese, Greek, Polish, and Chinese people here. After WWII, many Italian families decided to settle here, so we have an abundance of really excellent Italian restaurants as well. I guess you can see the food situation is similar to what you have in the USA.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

the US is uneven and diversity concentrated in the urban areas. i live in what some people call a food desert. the fresh prod7ce section in my local grocery store is about 15 feet wide, witu produce shipped 2000 miles from california and arizona, some als9 from the eastern seaboard, 400 miles.

when i moved here most of 20 years ago you had to drive 40 miles to find a mexican r3staurant. there was a a cheap chinese take out place in town, now there a mexican restaurant and a chinesea buffet about 15 miles away in the county seat, about 3000 people

here there are pizza chains and inependent pizza shops, generic amrrican mom and pop places, and national chain r3staurants, all in the county seat. if you want ethnic indian, thai, vietnamese, frenfh, italian, or similar, its 120 milss west or 75 east in the cities.