News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Name calling and blaming. Atheism v theism.

Started by Dave, August 06, 2018, 05:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

In many discussions I have seen theists have lumped all atheists together, mentioning the likes of Stalin or Pol Pot and the crimes their regimes committed.

Well, theists have sects and I would like to posit that atheism also does. One could consider Humanism, atheism and antitheism, the "soft" end to the "hard one, to be the three main "sects". http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=6487 offers 17 further divisions that are mainly details of depth of disbelief.

OK, in strict honesty we should accept Stalin etc since, if the disbelieve in the supernatural is the qualification, they do qualify as atheists. So - all atheists belong in the same box, eh?

So, surely that means that all theists, regardless of denomination or sect, are likewise in the their box. As all atheists disbelieve in the supernatural so all theists believe in it, many worshipping the same entity. But, well, theists are theists, if they all worship some form of supernatural entity. So, to be fair, they have to own to the likes of Osama bin Laden, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi et al as being their brothers-in-god.

It seems unfair of, say, Christians to claim that such people are not really "men-of-god"; but those people claim that Christians are the blasphemers - both cannot be right. Even Muslims suffer the same dichotomy within their religion, most extreme Muslim groups being Sunni they consider the Shi'ites to be blasphemers.

I am just developing the idea, any comments?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

No one

All subsects that humans dissect themselves into, have their level heads and their asshats. Unfortunately, the spotlight shines brightest on the asshats.

Recusant

Quote from: Dave on August 06, 2018, 05:38:36 PM
In many discussions I have seen theists have lumped all atheists together, mentioning the likes of Stalin or Pol Pot and the crimes their regimes committed.

It's a faulty syllogism:

P1. Stalin and Pol Pot were atheists.

P2. Stalin and Pol Pot committed atrocities.

C. Atheism results in the commission of atrocities.

No actual logical connection is shown between atheism and the commission of atrocities.

Stalin and Pol Pot committed atrocities in furtherance of establishing control over their respective states; attempting to eliminate any and all perceived threats to that control. Their atheism was irrelevant in regards to motivations for their actions.

As for "sects" within atheism, I'm not convinced that there is much utility in the idea, and have found attempts to promote them (Atheism+, Sunday Assembly) unattractive.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: No one on August 06, 2018, 08:19:53 PM
All subsects that humans dissect themselves into, have their level heads and their asshats. Unfortunately, the spotlight shines brightest on the asshats.

Yep, every team has its super stars and its duds.  And a lot of Average Joes.

Sandra Craft

Can't agree that no atheist believes in the supernatural, tho I'd be willing to bet that most don't.  I have known some who do believe in the supernatural, just not in gods.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: Sandra Craft on August 10, 2018, 09:31:40 PM
Can't agree that no atheist believes in the supernatural, tho I'd be willing to bet that most don't.  I have known some who do believe in the supernatural, just not in gods.

Hmm, so atheists don't have to be rationalists? The "astral plain" etc may be real for them? OK, I just find it difficult not to lump all of that in the same category. Such things cannot, at the moment at least, be scientificaly detected and measured, they have no rational explanstion that I know of.

Problem is, as has so often been said "atheist" defines prople in terms of something they disbelieve in - it attaches us to "god(s)" by a negative tether.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on August 10, 2018, 10:00:49 PM

Hmm, so atheists don't have to be rationalists? The "astral plain" etc may be real for them? OK, I just find it difficult not to lump all of that in the same category. Such things cannot, at the moment at least, be scientificaly detected and measured, they have no rational explanstion that I know of.

Problem is, as has so often been said "atheist" defines prople in terms of something they disbelieve in - it attaches us to "god(s)" by a negative tether.

No, I don't think atheists can be assumed to be rationalists.  I think all that can be said of atheists is that we don't believe in gods, not necessarily for rational reasons or application of the scientific method, and not necessarily excluding belief in other supernatural things.  It's just no gods. 

As far as lumping goes, I'd lump belief in the supernatural as silly but not outside of atheism.  I also wouldn't consider use of the scientific method as something automatically a part of atheism.  The supernatural may be out and the scientific method may be in for most individual atheists but from what I've seen atheism in general doesn't require either stance, and not all atheists take either stance.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: Sandra Craft on August 10, 2018, 11:49:53 PM

No, I don't think atheists can be assumed to be rationalists.  I think all that can be said of atheists is that we don't believe in gods, not necessarily for rational reasons or application of the scientific method, and not necessarily excluding belief in other supernatural things.  It's just no gods. 

As far as lumping goes, I'd lump belief in the supernatural as silly but not outside of atheism.  I also wouldn't consider use of the scientific method as something automatically a part of atheism.  The supernatural may be out and the scientific method may be in for most individual atheists but from what I've seen atheism in general doesn't require either stance, and not all atheists take either stance.

Hmm, things to think sbout.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on August 10, 2018, 11:49:53 PM

I agree with this.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on August 06, 2018, 05:38:36 PM

Well, theists have sects and I would like to posit that atheism also does. One could consider Humanism, atheism and antitheism, the "soft" end to the "hard one, to be the three main "sects". http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=6487 offers 17 further divisions that are mainly details of depth of disbelief.

OK, in strict honesty we should accept Stalin etc since, if the disbelieve in the supernatural is the qualification, they do qualify as atheists. So - all atheists belong in the same box, eh?

So, surely that means that all theists, regardless of denomination or sect, are likewise in the their box. As all atheists disbelieve in the supernatural so all theists believe in it, many worshipping the same entity. But, well, theists are theists, if they all worship some form of supernatural entity. So, to be fair, they have to own to the likes of Osama bin Laden, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi et al as being their brothers-in-god.

It seems unfair of, say, Christians to claim that such people are not really "men-of-god"; but those people claim that Christians are the blasphemers - both cannot be right. Even Muslims suffer the same dichotomy within their religion, most extreme Muslim groups being Sunni they consider the Shi'ites to be blasphemers.

I am just developing the idea, any comments?

Double standard. Many theists I've argued with want to lump the likes of Stalin in the same bag along with all atheists, yet mention that Hitler had ties to the Catholic Church to diehard Catholics and you'll see them squirm and screech like you've never seen anyone squirm and screech before. If you're lucky, you might even see them twitch.  :twitch:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Oh, snap. I thought I had found a new source of invective. I am disappoint! J/K, the people who make claims about Stalin and Pol Pot are just mushy thinkers who are most likely just vomiting up what they've already swallowed from their "godly leader's" rhetoric. Personally, I can't see how someone can stand to go on diatribes that vilify so many people. It makes me sick just to hear some of it.

Dave

Quote from: Fireball on August 18, 2018, 10:53:52 PM
Oh, snap. I thought I had found a new source of invective. I am disappoint! J/K, the people who make claims about Stalin and Pol Pot are just mushy thinkers who are most likely just vomiting up what they've already swallowed from their "godly leader's" rhetoric. Personally, I can't see how someone can stand to go on diatribes that vilify so many people. It makes me sick just to hear some of it.

Of course, we never indulge in diatribes  :)

Well, in a responsive rather than attacking mode in most cases. Though there are some pretty good attack mode vilifiers amongst atheists on Youtube.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Dave on August 19, 2018, 07:26:00 AM

Well, in a responsive rather than attacking mode in most cases. Though there are some pretty good attack mode vilifiers amongst atheists on Youtube.

One of the aspects of this place that I enjoy is the lack of vitriol. Then again, I don't really spend a lot of time in the "religious" sections. My life is too short to sit here going 'round and 'round with people and their beliefs. I've done it in the past, and consider it right up there with teaching a pig to sing- a complete waste of time. I applaud people who care enough to argue with the religious ad infinitum. Maybe something will come of it. I'm not expecting much, though.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 22, 2018, 03:57:10 AM
Quote from: Dave on August 19, 2018, 07:26:00 AM

One of the aspects of this place that I enjoy is the lack of vitriol. Then again, I don't really spend a lot of time in the "religious" sections. My life is too short to sit here going 'round and 'round with people and their beliefs. I've done it in the past, and consider it right up there with teaching a pig to sing- a complete waste of time. I applaud people who care enough to argue with the religious ad infinitum. Maybe something will come of it. I'm not expecting much, though.

That about sums up my position as well. I read those debates with interest, but restrict my interactions with HAF to those topics that deal with my quite narrow range of interests.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames