News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Is it time to kill The Consumer?

Started by Dave, May 11, 2018, 12:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

There is this style of music called "vaporwave". I'm sure Davin has heard of it because his job is to work with computers. But there was a description I heard of it a long time ago where it is supposed to spoof consumerism. Whether or not that is true I don't know because most of those songs have no lyrics. But they do go have weird music videos and as far as the genre goes it is very hard to define. There is no single defining thing about the genre to be able to say this is it because it kind of branches into a lot of other internet born genres as well.

But that was my little tidbit for the thread. Now I can post a video but there aren't any defining ones like I said. So I guess you can do a search on youtube and look for yourself but I wouldn't necessarily call those vaporwave. They are mostly chill tunes but a song being slow paced and relaxed doesn't make it fit into a single genre.

Though one thing I could say perhaps is that they all have some sort of affiliation with consumerism. Some have sounds and voices sampled from tv shows or video games or even computers. I would say that the computer versions are the one's that define vaporwave, while the ones that sample tv shows and have a low fidelity with a bass track are called "lo-fi hip hop". And then there is simpsonwave which is...well I will show you for that one.

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

I'm familiar with vaporware, but I'm not sure it's because of my interest in computers. The consistent things with all vaporware seems to be defined by its name, that it consists of little musical things. Like the beats are slight and sparse, and any other instruments or light and airy. And there are not many different kinds of sounds used per song (not talking about the samples, those range from one sample to dozens).
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

Quote from: Davin on May 16, 2018, 10:02:49 PM
I'm familiar with vaporware, but I'm not sure it's because of my interest in computers. The consistent things with all vaporware seems to be defined by its name, that it consists of little musical things. Like the beats are slight and sparse, and any other instruments or light and airy. And there are not many different kinds of sounds used per song (not talking about the samples, those range from one sample to dozens).

There are actually live streams of those now. Specifically the ones that I am familiar with are lo-fi hip hop and simpsonwave. They run 24/7 like a radio program on youtube. But with no commercials. But I assume they make money, but I use adblock software so I never see ads on youtube. However I do see that they get donations from time to time. At least very early on they were when live streaming was first introduced about a year and a half ago. So I don't know if that really counts as spoofing consumerism now since they have become apart of it? It sure still has the affiliation with consumerism now more than ever.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱