News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Dogs vs Kats

Started by Biggus Dickus, March 13, 2018, 05:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

I am looking up at the pictures on the wall of my Man Cave.  I see pictures of five different best friends, all of whom were dogs.   There is Teddy the Bernese Mountain Dog who was as his name implies a teddy bear All 85 to 90 pounds of him. He was the keeper of my kingdom at night or at any other time that he sensed a threat to me.  Teddy bear or no, he was prepared and thoroughly capable of  doing as Bruce has suggested.

I had an Irish Setter girl way back in time. She was my constant companion. She was a sweetheart in every sense of the word but became a vigilant and reliable protector in the many instances when I worked at night in my deserted factory. Who knew that the clown like, fun loving,  Irish setters could be so fierce?

But there was BC, a black cat who showed up one day at my home.  He was a big cat and for whatever mysterious feline  reason adopted me, my home, and the resident two Irish setters.  BC tried his damnedest to earn his status as a family member.  He would too frequently bring home a dead squirrel or dead bird.  He would proudly deposit it in the back room where the pet ports were.  BC knew how to use the pet ports that the dogs used. He was trying to earn his keep and I understood that he had his well earned  dignity. I did not actually appreciate the dead animal smells that sometimes went undiscovered in that back room.  I respected that cat more than a dog person can usually manage.  Damned cat behaved like a dog. Night when we watched TV and had pop corn, BC would line up with the two dogs and beg for popcorn.  Who knew that cats would like popcorn?

One day after about two years..........BC did not show up.  I searched the neighborhood many times for him.  No BC to be found.  I never cried for the loss of a cat before but BC was  by all measures a different breed of cat.  I loved that cat and so did the big red dogs.

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 18, 2019, 09:47:04 PM
I voted for dogs.
Of course, every now and then they rip someone's face off, but that person must have deserved it.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 18, 2019, 09:47:04 PM
After years of deliberation, I voted for dogs.  They just seem to be more loving and lovable, like me.  Of course, every now and then they rip someone's face off, but that person must have deserved it.

So do you also every now and then, rip some deserving one's face off?
We humbly ask with the greatest respect and deference.
Oh thanks Green, good catch, we don't want our face ripped off.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

The past year and a half I have been dogless, and the house definitely has that emptiness about it since my old pup died. :( I would get another in a heartbeat.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 07, 2019, 01:32:02 AM
The past year and a half I have been dogless, and the house definitely has that emptiness about it since my old pup died. :( I would get another in a heartbeat.

:'(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on October 07, 2019, 05:15:32 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 07, 2019, 01:32:02 AM

:'(

As soon as I move to a bigger house I will get another German Shepherd. Maybe even two. 

Now that I think of it, for most of my life I've had at least one dog, it really is strange to not have any. Being dogless is not for me.  :sadshake:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

Dogs are the planet's best animal.

Humans are the worst.

Cats fit somewhere in between.

Magdalena

Wolfen

Her name is Sheba.

When she was a kitten and we first adopted her from the shelter:

Here she is a little bit older:

A little more recent:

She's around twelve or thirteen years of age right now.

Magdalena

I can tell you love her. ;D

Sheba is beautiful.

Anne D.

billy rubin

what an elegant fowl

i mean cat

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Anne D.

Quote from: Magdalena on May 23, 2022, 03:48:50 AM

OMG, Magdalena. I missed this before. So adorably hysterical. I'm dying.