News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

sad news

Started by AngelOfDeath, December 15, 2017, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngelOfDeath

Found out someone I have followed in youtube for a long time just was diagnosed with cancer.

Icarus

We can sympathize with the afflicted person. Praying for her/him has not now and never has been a redeeming or curative exercise. Sometimes life just deals certain people a rotten hand and it seems brutally unfair.  If it makes that person more comfortable, then maybe we should pray. That is an exercise that costs us nothing.  Prayer is horse shit of course but we can and do have compassion for the suffering of others.

AngelOfDeath

gotta feel bad for these folks

Recusant

She certainly has had some nasty luck. Sorry to hear about that. Praying may help people feel better about her suffering--they believe they're doing something to help her. Believers also can say "God has a plan, this is all for a good reason," and again, feel better about the situation. There's no question that theistic belief can help people feel more comfortable with shitty things that happen, but the reality is they're just shitty things that happen whether anybody manages to insulate themselves from them or not.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

I am sorry for your loss but, as Icarus intimated prayer is nit really going to be of any practical hrlp - just makes the prayers feel better maybe.

Better to make a donation to some organisation in memory of the lost friend. That way a bit of your love will be converted to helping others.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74