News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

new to group and the name is just pretty random ( and scary, lol)

Started by AngelOfDeath, December 01, 2017, 04:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngelOfDeath

Hello all here, Thanks to several nice folks here for the hello/welcome already.

Tank

Hi AoD

See you've already been reduced to an acronym. If you want to change your user name just drop a staff member a PM or tell us here. People do change user names from time to time, it's no biggy.

"living as a secular agnostic/atheist to just be really grim and cold and a dead end lately,"

Well facing the truth can be like that. Why do you think our ancestors dreamed up gods in the first place? They were shit scared in a universe where they knew nothing and where nothing made sense.

You may like to read and consider this Why God?

Welcome to the forum, may you add your unique flavour to the collective  ;)

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Welcome to the forum, AoD.

QuoteI find the ideology and thought processes of living as a secular agnostic/atheist to just be really grim and cold and a dead end lately

Maybe in such a case one needs to change one's outlook rather than taking comfort from beliefs one knows to be false.

Dragonia

Welcome, Angel, I wonder what your past experience is with religion. I am always curious when someone has sentiments such as yours:
QuoteI find the ideology and thought processes of living as a secular agnostic/atheist to just be really grim and cold and a dead end lately
I look forward to seeing more of what you think!  :boaterhat:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Recusant

Quote from: AngelOfDeath on December 01, 2017, 04:48:03 AM
Hello all here, Thanks to several nice folks here for the hello/welcome already.  I won't go into great detail but I'll tell a bit.  I'm a single man in my 30s and for lack of a better way to put it I currently consider myself an "aspiring christian".  Could also be that I just need to be medicated, but in truth... that's never helped.  I've never done anything really bad in life, so I'm not looking for god to forgive me for some awful thing I might've done.  I find the ideology and thought processes of living as a secular agnostic/atheist to just be really grim and cold and a dead end lately, and that's the way I've lived for a long time.  Too many people truly do have a nature for evil, and in this modern world we are constantly bombarded with the filth and degeneracy that is popular culture.  I'm probably as cynical as anyone here about religion and organized religion, but we'll see what comes of it, even if it's not a "transformation" into a practicing Xtian.  As to "why join an atheist forum?"... could be multiple reasons, but I don't have any one good reason in mind other than i was a part of an atheist forum years ago.  We'll see what happens

Honestly I expect you aren't going to be worrying much about what anybody here thinks, nor should you. As well, it doesn't matter to me whether you decide to become a Christian or not--whatever works for you is what's important. In the meantime, I hope you'll enjoy some discussions here, and maybe they'll even help you clarify your own position.

:welcome:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

To also chime in on this one:

Quote from: AngelOfDeath on December 01, 2017, 04:48:03 AM
I find the ideology and thought processes of living as a secular agnostic/atheist to just be really grim and cold and a dead end lately, and that's the way I've lived for a long time.

My experience was the exact opposite.  I spent some 30 years trying to be religious, mostly because I thought I was supposed to, and giving that up for my natural attachment to reality was like coming out of a heavy, confining fog into a wide-open, sunlit vista.  Without the supernatural, everything suddenly became bigger, more cheering and vastly more interesting. 

But everyone is different.  I know plenty of people who think reading is boring, and even people who dislike avocados.  Just for example.

In any case, it doesn't really matter here.  We have other theist members (tho not so many as previously) and at least one deist so however you fall on the question, you'll fit right in.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Hello and welcome to the forum, AoD!

Good intro. :smilenod:

I've known few people aspiring to believe, my father among them, but I never really felt like I understood where they're coming from. Perhaps its because I have no such inclination.

It seems to me though, if I may be frank, that you're looking to add some literal magic to your life, but I'm not sure such a thing is all that wonderful. There is plenty of wonder in the universe without such magic, but I guess whether to delve into that is up to each person. As long as they don't turn into a self-righteous nasty people in the process of becoming religious or "spiritual" (whatever that is)...  :shrug: 

Anyway, whatever your outlook, I hope you enjoy posting here, and I look forward to reading some more of your perspective. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

AngelOfDeath

yes, thats a very good point...... im gonna try & figure out how to reply multiple members in one post

AngelOfDeath

It might be that that's the way to go. 

AngelOfDeath

Ok, will add more on this later  :)

Tank

Quote from: AngelOfDeath on December 02, 2017, 05:51:13 AM
Quote from: Tank on December 01, 2017, 09:12:59 AM
Hi AoD

Well facing the truth can be like that. Why do you think our ancestors dreamed up gods in the first place? They were shit scared in a universe where they knew nothing and where nothing made sense.

yes, thats a very good point

................. im gonna try & figure out how to reply multiple members in one post

No need to do that and it also make subsequent replies difficult. Just quote and reply to individual posts. There is no limitation on data the forum uses.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

AngelOfDeath

;)