News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Human extinction : Choose the way we go.

Started by afreethinker30, June 23, 2008, 03:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afreethinker30

The human race is looking at a threat that will destory all living beings...How would you want the human race to end?

The Earth hurls into the Sun. :pop:  Of course I'm sure if this were ever to happen we would have some notice.I'd be on the first plane to Ireland.A wish of mine since I was a wee one.

susangail

I would love for us to nuke ourselves, leave the world to the cockroaches....
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "susangail"I would love for us to nuke ourselves, leave the world to the cockroaches....

Well looking at American presidential candidates that might just happen.Oh if only I believed in reincarnation.

crocofish

I'm not sure if I would want to have a lot of forewarning or something more instantaneous.

If there was a lot of forewarning, like slowly falling into the sun, I think the world would go into chaos since many people would disregard laws and the usual responsibilities.  I doubt things like airlines would continue to run normally since employees in all businesses worldwide aren't going to want to keep working at their jobs if the world is ending.  In the movie, Children of Men, the scenario of worldwide sterility is a very slow extinction, and shows a chaotic world caused by the lack of children.

In a fast extinction scenario, everyone goes about life as normal, and then POW everyone dies.  One such possibility (although very unlikely any time soon) is a gamma ray burst aimed at Earth.  Hopefully a gamma ray burst is almost instantaneous death and not a prolonged radiation burn.
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown

tornado

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

LARA

Daeth by internet addiction.  We create a metaverse so appealing and addictive that we can have have anything we desire in the virtual universe.  Then we forget our physical bodies and neglect eating, sleeping, dental care and procreation.
But we all go with big, cheesy grins on our faces.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Asmodean

Quote from: "LARA"But we all go with big, cheesy grins on our faces.

But... but... A meteor rain would be so much more spectacular!  :pop:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

The Earth's orbit takes it through a huge cloud of alcohol vapour which is drifing in space.  The cloud is thin at first, then gets denser and denser..... :beer:

joeactor

I'm going for the ironic ending:

A group of fundies invents a highly contagious virus to "cure" homosexuality.
However, due to a random evolutionary mutation in the virus, and an accidental release from the lab, it ends up turning everyone gay.
The human race dies out in one generation due to lack of procreation.

... but as the end nears there will be FABULOUS parties!!!
(plus, designer coffins and urns will be all the rage)

Ok, I'm done,
JoeActor

Will

Americans become so fat that the collective weight drags the North American tectonic plate down into the mantle. In response to the loss of part of the crust, the other plates float into the big, gaping, molten hole. The massive earthquakes are enough to destroy the whole world. As the last inhabitant in the world is about to perish, he curses the heavens: "YOU MANIACS! DAMN YOU, MCDONALDS! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!"

I'm going to enjoy this thread...
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Will

A group of CEOs and international bankers plan a final solution: a disease that only effects the poor. As they've been shitting on the poor for decades, if not centuries, this seems the next logical step. The only cure is to pulverize thousand-dollar bills and inject them into your bloodstream. Soon all of the third world falls, then the rarely mentioned second world. Finally, as the American and Western European economies collapse due to the fact that they can't exploit labor from the third world, the CEOs and international bankers realize their great folly: the "poor" are actually the foundation of the entire planetary economy. Without them all are poor. As Paul Wolfowitz and Kenneth Lay finally start seeing symptoms of the disease, they chronicle their mistakes so that whatever species replaces humans some day will learn that being greedy and not appreciating everyone for their contributions will eventually lead to a civilization's downfall. That and biological warfare.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Smallville

Entropy.

At the farthest end of time mankind, having reached its full potential will peaceably fade away as the universe finally wears down.

Or, Mother Earth, having tired of the infestation of mankind, goes through a series of catastrophic natural disasters, climatic changes, and volcanic eruptions that it fumigates itself and allows a truly sentient life-form, free of superstition and self-importance, to arise.
Two wrongs don't make a right but three left turns will.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." â€" Nietzsche
"Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." - Clarence Darrow

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "LARA"But we all go with big, cheesy grins on our faces.

But... but... A meteor rain would be so much more spectacular!  :pop:

True but think about how ironic it would be.Something we made unmaking us all.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Willravel"Americans become so fat that the collective weight drags the North American tectonic plate down into the mantle. In response to the loss of part of the crust, the other plates float into the big, gaping, molten hole. The massive earthquakes are enough to destroy the whole world. As the last inhabitant in the world is about to perish, he curses the heavens: "YOU MANIACS! DAMN YOU, MCDONALDS! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!"

I'm going to enjoy this thread...

Will I can tell you have thought alot about this.Mommy hold me. :D