News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Another Mass Shooting

Started by Recusant, October 02, 2017, 06:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

Quote from: Asmodean on April 25, 2023, 02:13:56 PMI don't have the answers either, hence I call it a "probe into" rather than an "attempt at."

I think that while ultimately, it's the shooter who makes the choice to proceed, there is probably a lot of blame to be had "all around" long before the fact. Cultural value of human life. A conflict between self-perception and experience. Mental healthcare. The parents. It's always the parents. There's a lot of variables there, and I think preventing a potential shooting would take changing several of those in most cases - or a lot of luck. Or "always" being prepared to react to an attempted mass shooting and being well-trained in that regard.

...So yeah. I can pretty-much point out what the solution is not, and for what reason, but what, if any, it is... A different matter.

I wonder if it's a bit like "cure for cancer." They exist, and yet we will probably never find one (barring perhaps "omnimedical" nanobots or some such Sci-Fi), because ultimately, we are trying to treat different illnesses, and perhaps there is no "one jab to cure them all."

It's a grim picture you paint. To me, human beings are rational beings in the end. It is our politicians that are cowards.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Asmodean

It reads more grim than it is. A difficult solution which needs to be addressed from many seemingly-unrelated angles may still be achievable.

The grim part is that... Well, the voters like buzzwords. "No more guns!" "Arm the teachers!" "Free healthcare for everybody!"

...Not that simple, I'm afraid.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

Hoomans are rational? What planet are you from?

Tank

Quote from: No one on April 26, 2023, 09:41:15 AMHoomans are rational? What planet are you from?

I agree. At the end of the day most humans are bags of emotional garbage.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding.

How can you say that?
I thought you understood.  :'(  :'(  :'(

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Icarus

I live in the land populated by deranged gun nuts. Last night at 11:19 PM I heard two gunshots. 30 seconds later three more gun shots.....Holy shit that was very near my back yard. Now  a few more gunshots were heard. Double holy shit! I opened the drawer that had one of my guns..........I have had no occasion to open that drawer in a long long time. I sure as hell do not want to get involved in a gun fight. I will if I must. At longer range I will use the 38. If at short range I will use the 12 gauge shotgun....I hope to hell that none of this will be necessary.

I called 911.  The operator was almost apologetic. She told me that an officer had been dispatched to the scene. It was only fireworks. Possibly by some asshole who was celebrating Cinco De Mayo  past eleven PM. (sigh of relief was heard in my house and from my neighbors house)

billy rubin

when i lived in arizona, christmas and new years and cinco de mayo were all celebrated with gunfire

california too

theres gunfire commonly around where i live. people plinking, mostly

i expected nothing but im still disappointed

Tank

8 killed and 7 wounded in Texas mall shooting. The gunman is also dead

This is in Whitney's neck of the woods, Allen Texas. She has marked herself safe on Facebook.

"CNN
 —
Eight people were killed in a shooting at an outlet mall near Dallas, and seven victims are being treated at trauma facilities, officials said Saturday night. The gunman, who authorities believe was acting alone, is also dead."

Tank

RWDS = Right Wing Death Squad

Texas mall shooting: Officials probe gunman's possible far-right links

QuoteFederal authorities are investigating whether the gunman who killed eight people including children at a Dallas shopping mall had far-right links.

The attacker, who was shot dead at the scene by a police officer, has been named as Mauricio Garcia, aged 33.

Investigators are reviewing social media to look into his ideology, the BBC's US partner CBS news reports.

During the attack he wore a clothing patch with the letters RWDS which stands for "Right Wing Death Squad".

This is a phrase popular among right-wing extremists and white supremacy groups.

Tank

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Tank on June 07, 2023, 09:49:33 AMAnother one :(

Seven shot and two killed at Virginia high school graduation

If only they'd banned those damned homosexual books ten years ago, this would never have happened.

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein