News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Another Mass Shooting

Started by Recusant, October 02, 2017, 06:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

I've finished reading all the forums now.  ;D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

I was trying to be subtle through the use of title and the location of the shooting being otherwise-peaceful Norway.

You see, my post was made when this thread was still hot, and "every time" there is a mass shooting in the US, there is a clash of pro- and anti-gun lobbies everywhere from the halls of power to the darkest back alleys.

Well, our gun laws did not help the victims of the shooting I mentioned. They did not prevent the perpetrator from not only obtaining weapons and ammunition, but also using them to lethal effect. They did not deter the perp and they did nothing to aid the victims.

Still, our pro-gun people are very careful about using this as a platform from which to proclaim that if only there was an armed civilian there, lives could have been saved. Equally, the anti-gun people are very careful about proclaiming that all guns need to be confiscated and destroyed immediately. Some of it is just people trying to avoid any heat - the cowards (Nah. Not really. Although, a little bit, maybe) some of it though is people realising that it's harder to deny a criminal (or a criminal-to-be) the tools of his trade than merely passing a law.

Law-abiding citizens obey the law - hence the definition. Criminals don't give a shit when it suits them - or when they think they can get away with it.

...So here it is. Whatever your preferred brand of social engineering - don't expect too much from it. All it takes to topple it (if for a time) is an occasional guy who just doesn't give a fuck.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Split it back if you like, I won't merge it again.  :)

Asmodean

Nah. Just discussed the issue in my previous post.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

the islam thing seems to be mostly western europe

i am leaving out the vastly more murderous examples of muslims in muslim countries killing other muslims over religion and politics

here in the states mass murders . . . mostly . . . seem either racist or some white guy with a gun running amok.

amoks are exactly appropriate, imo. but nobody makes the parallel here

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Tank

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on October 15, 2022, 10:36:38 AMAt least Alex Jones won't be denying.
Who cares? Like, seriously. You know, there are nations where it is a crime to deny the Holocaust. Why? Does any-one honestly thinks that an opinion does not exist unless it is voiced openly, or that it's somehow less dangerous if silent?

It's all little more than a bunch of touchy-feely crap, if you ask me. We won't ever be "done" with conspiracy theories, Communism, Fascism, other tribe-related isms or... Any of it, really. People still fully embrace the Flat Earth hypotheses, after all. The best "we" can do, is argue against. Again and again. Sometimes, if "we" are lucky, the opposition will make a good argument, putting some strain on whatever orthodoxy "we" happen to subscribe to at the moment, potentially challenging and changing the standing truths.

But not the point I originally set out to make.

Apparently, there was a other shooting in St. Louis. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63375659

At least three people are dead, one of them being the shooter. What is it with people and suicide by mass murder? Whatever happened to just finding a very tall bridge over some very hard pavement?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Tank

billy rubin

here it is

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_amok

when i was a kid in malaya and the philippines, amoks made the papers every month or two. the parallels between the sociological symptoms of amoks and american mass murderers are so clear to me that i wonder why nobody seems to make tbe connection.

Tank

Well I'll be darned. There's nothing new under the sun.

Asmodean

Nope. It's all made from the same ancient stardust. :sadshake:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

As the blood continues to flow in abundance, a Republican congressman speaks his wisdom: "a horrible, horrible situation. And, we're not gonna fix it." But you know what will? A Christian revival. Oh yeah, and home-school your children.

"GOP Rep Shrugs Off Nashville Shooting: 'We Homeschool' Our Daughter" | The Daily Beast

Quote"Criminals are gonna be criminals. And my daddy fought in the Second World War, fought in the Pacific, fought the Japanese, and he told me, he said, 'Buddy,' he said, 'if somebody wants to take you out, and doesn't mind losing their life, there's not a whole heck of a lot you can do about it.'"

The Tennessee lawmaker was then asked if Congress had any responsibility in the wake of this latest school shooting, prompting Burchett to claim that he and his fellow representatives would only make things worse.

"I don't see any real role that we could do other than mess things up, honestly, because of the situation," he replied. "Like I said, I don't think a criminal is going to stop from guns, you know, you can print them out on the computer now, 3-D printing, and, there's really, I don't think you're going to stop the gun violence."

Rather than pass any gun regulations or restrictions, Burchett suggested that a better solution may be to pray the murders away.

"I think you got to change people's hearts," the congressman said. "You know, as a Christian, as we talk about in the church, and I've said this many times, I think we really need a revival in this country."

At one point, a reporter asked the GOP lawmaker: "What else should be done to protect people like your little girl from being safe in school?"

Burchett replied that it wasn't a personal concern of his.

"Well, we homeschool her," he responded with a shrug. "But you know, that's our decision. Some people don't have that option and frankly, some people don't need to do it. I mean, they don't have to. It just suited our needs much better."

[Link to full article.]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank