News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Algorithm Moderators Aren't Quite up to The Job

Started by Recusant, September 03, 2017, 06:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Davin on September 06, 2017, 05:07:30 PM
I'm sure they took into account many possibilities, they did make the instructions very basic and easy to understand. You seem to be hell bent on blaming everyone but the trainers. Given your train of thought here; when a driver ignores a stop sign and crashes into someone, you would blame the sign makers while I would blame the driver.

Well, if professionals design something that allows the non-professional subjects to be lazy, sloppy, untruthful, micheivous, malicious or simply misunderstand, with loose parameters . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

You can't prevent people from being lazy, sloppy, untruthful, micheivous, malicious or simply misunderstand. That's up to the people, hence why one blames the people whoa are being lazy, sloppy, untruthful, mischievous, malicious or for misunderstanding simple instructions.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on September 06, 2017, 05:35:25 PM
You can't prevent people from being lazy, sloppy, untruthful, micheivous, malicious or simply misunderstand. That's up to the people, hence why one blames the people whoa are being lazy, sloppy, untruthful, mischievous, malicious or for misunderstanding simple instructions.
Then those results could be unreliable and that method should not be used to produce something that others might rely on. There must be millions of reported and/or rejected posts and comments out there that are amenable to analysis as to their content. Finance researchers have, reportedly, used positive/negative word or meme frequency in Twitter to predict market fluctuations (but that may have been a case of  correlation without causation, haven't followed it up recently).

Davin

Quote from: Dave on September 06, 2017, 05:53:43 PM
Then those results could be unreliable and that method should not be used to produce something that others might rely on. There must be millions of reported and/or rejected posts and comments out there that are amenable to analysis as to their content. Finance researchers have, reportedly, used positive/negative word or meme frequency in Twitter to predict market fluctuations (but that may have been a case of  correlation without causation, haven't followed it up recently).
The method is fine, it was the trainers that failed.

Here's an example: You ask someone a question. They lie to you. Do you blame them or yourself for their lie?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on September 06, 2017, 05:57:53 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 06, 2017, 05:53:43 PM
The method is fine, it was the trainers that failed.

Here's an example: You ask someone a question. They lie to you. Do you blame them or yourself for their lie?
You are recruiting the wrong kind of "someone" - OK,, this is a never ending argument about a subject that is subject to the failings of human nature in all aspects. They are obviously doing the best job they can with the available real world resources they accessed. But if the product fails - fix it or scrap it, try harder next time, improve the method or use a different one.

Davin

Quote from: Dave on September 06, 2017, 06:13:09 PM
You are recruiting the wrong kind of "someone" - OK,, this is a never ending argument about a subject that is subject to the failings of human nature in all aspects. They are obviously doing the best job they can with the available real world resources they accessed. But if the product fails - fix it or scrap it, try harder next time, improve the method or use a different one.
This can be resolved if you answer this simple question:

You ask someone a question.
They lie to you.
Are you to blame for their lie?

Dave

Quote from: Davin on September 06, 2017, 06:30:19 PM

They lie to you.

In simple circumstances not it is not the questioners fault. In the design of a system like this I refer you to my previous reply. If the product is to be sold as being suitable for a specific purpose the onus is in the seller to ensure that every possible negative factor has been allowed for or tested for during the design and marketing. If you cannot do that just don't bother doing that job.

It was part of my last job, as the senior development lab tech, to look for the basic things forgotten or ignored by the guys with titles in front of or letters after their names. Then test the product to its limits and sometimes beyond. That went for software and written stuff as well as the hardware. It had to be as idiot proof as possible before it went on the market. Had we employed untrained assemblers, even with very carefully written instructions, and produced a line of half functioning products whose fault would it be?

Cybermods are not so easy as lumps of hardware I recognise, but there are still basic "rules" to follow. There have been some horrendously expensive software failures in UK government departments mainly put down to badly written specs, poor analysis, people with no knowledge of, say, health systems in the design chain, a lack of monitoring . . .

Do the cybermod designers employ psychologists, language use experts etc  I wonder.

Dave

Perhaps they need a memeticist as well!  :grin:

QuoteMemetics is notable for sidestepping the traditional concern with the truth of ideas and beliefs. Instead, it is interested in their success.

Quite interesting application of the idea to the evolving concepts of "toxicity" in responses on the web.

Davin

Quote from: Dave on September 06, 2017, 07:07:11 PM
Quote from: Davin on September 06, 2017, 06:30:19 PM

They lie to you.

In simple circumstances not it is not the questioners fault.
In what circumstances does it become the questioners fault for the liars lies?

Dave

I can only repeat my arguments, which you cannot accept, so it is not worth continuing this discussion.

Davin

I cannot accept things that don't make sense. Your arguments as they stand do not make sense, so I cannot accept them.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on September 06, 2017, 09:20:48 PM
I cannot accept things that don't make sense. Your arguments as they stand do not make sense, so I cannot accept them.
You are entitled to your view of things, Davin, as we all are.

Davin

Meh, it's more than just my view of things. But go ahead and do whatever you think you have to do to make yourself feel better about it.

Dave

I feel that is bordering on being offensive, Davin.