News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

All things brain...

Started by Claireliontamer, July 12, 2017, 08:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

I had a high ball and a low ball since some questions I had multiple answers to.

High Score 40

Low Score 32

When it comes down to it I am just a balanced being.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on May 12, 2018, 07:01:33 PM
OK, no discussing the pros and cons of this quiz...

:snooty:

I got 40.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Essie Mae

Balanced, tho' I must confess I lost count a bit; does that make me more male or female?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

Quote from: Essie Mae on May 13, 2018, 12:05:53 PM
Balanced, tho' I must confess I lost count a bit; does that make me more male or female?

As an aspiring gentleman I could not possibly offer an opinion, Essie

My excuse would be my age . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

:shocked:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Icarus

32 .............some of the questions had two valid or semi valid numerals from which to choose. 

Essie Mae

Quote from: Dave on May 13, 2018, 12:34:42 PM

As an aspiring gentleman I could not possibly offer an opinion, Essie

My excuse would be my age . . .

Yeah, you're probably right ..... About me I mean, not you .....

Davin

I got 33. There is a lot in there that doesn't make sense, but as a joke quiz it's not bad.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

joeactor

I got 35, smack-dab in the middle.

How many points do you get if you find the music annoying?

Dave

Quote from: joeactor on May 14, 2018, 05:46:47 PM
I got 35, smack-dab in the middle.

How many points do you get if you find the music annoying?

I turned the volume down to zero!

Dave

Listening to BBC's "Start the weel" prog (group of people talking about various subjects with links - this weeks it is "Survival and Destruction"
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

One comment (in a very interesting web of discussion) made my ears prick up, that in WW2 Holland a starvation policy by the Germans caused a higher incidence in schixophrenia in the next generation. It is starving the preghant mothers that is the problem and it seems quite widespread now.

Starvation Increases Schizophrenia Risk
Children born to starving mothers are more likely to develop schizophrenia, according to a new study of people conceived during the Chinese Famine of 1959 to 1961. The results support the idea that prenatal nutritional deficiency raises the risk of schizophrenia and provides hope that schizophrenia risk can be lowered by making sure pregnant women receive proper nutrition.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2005/08/starvation-increases-schizophrenia-risk

Essie Mae

Quote from: Dave on May 28, 2018, 09:51:16 AM
Listening to BBC's "Start the weel" prog (group of people talking about various subjects with links - this weeks it is "Survival and Destruction"
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

One comment (in a very interesting web of discussion) made my ears prick up, that in WW2 Holland a starvation policy by the Germans caused a higher incidence in schixophrenia in the next generation. It is starving the preghant mothers that is the problem and it seems quite widespread now.

Starvation Increases Schizophrenia Risk
Children born to starving mothers are more likely to develop schizophrenia, according to a new study of people conceived during the Chinese Famine of 1959 to 1961. The results support the idea that prenatal nutritional deficiency raises the risk of schizophrenia and provides hope that schizophrenia risk can be lowered by making sure pregnant women receive proper nutrition.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2005/08/starvation-increases-schizophrenia-risk

I never heard that before. How amazing.

Arturo

I'm surprised I missed this. Schizophrenia does have a genetic component and how one eats during their life affects their genes that gets passed down to the next generation. So that's interesting to hear that starvation causes this issue. It comes no surprise though since certain deficiencies during pregnancy have already been shown to increase schizophrenia risk.

However it's not all cut and dry like that. Also schizophrenia has been shown to increase in urban areas. And there is an environmental factor that goes into as well. Like childhood adversity, abuse, or social isolation.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on May 31, 2018, 12:37:34 AM
I'm surprised I missed this. Schizophrenia does have a genetic component and how one eats during their life affects their genes that gets passed down to the next generation. So that's interesting to hear that starvation causes this issue. It comes no surprise though since certain deficiencies during pregnancy have already been shown to increase schizophrenia risk.

However it's not all cut and dry like that. Also schizophrenia has been shown to increase in urban areas. And there is an environmental factor that goes into as well. Like childhood adversity, abuse, or social isolation.

And cannabis msy only increase the problem:
QuoteThe psychosis-cannabis question
To date, the consensus is that cannabis use increases the risk of psychosis but, across the population, the effect is relatively small. However, the effect seems to be stronger in individuals who are already at risk, such as people with a family history of psychotic disorders or those who have experienced childhood abuse.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317170.php