News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Living longer.

Started by zorkan, July 14, 2024, 06:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zorkan

I seem to be almost tripping over books on longevity these days, usually written by some bald head who looks his age, or older.
Listened to David Sinclair last night. His book is called Lifespan, and he promotes Resveratrol.
Then there's Outlive by Peter Attia.
Any number of other titles are available, with names like How Not To Age, or How Not To Die.
So you've bought a gym membership, an ant-ageing cream, tubs of vitamin pills, signed up for yoga class.
Then you look in the mirror, if you still dare.

Goes back a least as far as the Epic of Gilgamesh and a magic plant which allowed immortality.
Pity a snake got there first.

Then I read this article.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_extension

Maybe there's a pill coming for outrunning the 2nd law of thermodynamics.
Until then I'm a sceptic.

billy rubin

why would one want to live forever?

jonathan swift pilloried the idea of mere longevity in his voyage to Luggnagg, where people lived forever but did not enjoy any freedom from the infirmity that came with age.

anyway, i dunno why people want to live forever. i would rather live well than live longer. like jack london, i would rather be ashes than dust.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Asmodean

I agree with Billy.

I want a certain quality to my life. Been there, done that, planted a tree, built a bunch of houses... Yeah. I think there may come a point where I will be content with what's in my rear view mirror without really looking forward to what's in my windshield.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

vonnegut wrote of a man who was given a choice- to complete his death or walk the galapagos as a ghost for a million years and then choose again for a final time.

after a million years of change nothing that he valued was still recognizeable. when his time was up, he chose to move on.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galápagos_(novel)

set the function, not the mechanism.

zorkan

Quote from: billy rubin on July 14, 2024, 06:13:16 PMwhy would one want to live forever?

Not if you were Tithonus.

"Aurora abducted Tithonus and asked Zeus to grant him immortality, which Zeus did. However, she forgot to ask that he also grant eternal youth, so Tithonus soon became a decrepit old man who could not die. Aurora finally transformed him into a grasshopper to relieve him of his sad existence."

There is an episode of Star Trek where a planet is so full of people they crave to be alone.
It has been suggested that living to 150 could be common by next century.
We would have to find a second home.

zorkan

Quote from: billy rubin on July 15, 2024, 01:53:22 PMvonnegut wrote of a man who was given a choice- to complete his death or walk the galapagos as a ghost for a million years and then choose again for a final time.
I have a book called Darwin's Finches, and from what I understand you wouldn't want to be there for even one year.
Great book, though.

Maybe if the island I was on had a golf course.