News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on January 08, 2022, 01:10:22 AM
i could never do that

ive got coins from everywhere. precommunist china, victorian pennies, kenyan shillings, borneo, nazi germany, ancient rome, medieval england . . .

i would find it very hard to destroy any of those, even if the result was a thing of beauty.

its a weakness of mine, old stuff

I have thought of that. but the majority are from the late seventies and eighties. I will keep the older, rare ones intact.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on January 07, 2022, 06:11:19 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on January 07, 2022, 04:44:27 PM
I have quite a big bag of old coins, mainly pre-Euro, from different countries. They are remnants from countless trips to various parts of the world for the last 51 years. I am reluctant to just throw them out, so would appreciate any non-rude suggestions of what I can do with them. One idea I have is to solder them into an undulating sheet that can be a precursor to a hammered sculpture. I could also use them as metallic accent elements in paintings. Any other suggestions?

Are they of sufficiently varied colours to do an artwork with?

Not really, they are just silver and brown-copper. They aren't very old.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Recusant

I have quite a big bag of old coins, mainly pre-Euro, from different countries. They are remnants from countless trips to various parts of the world for the last 51 years. I am reluctant to just throw them out, so would appreciate any non-rude suggestions of what I can do with them. One idea I have is to solder them into an undulating sheet that can be a precursor to a hammered sculpture. I could also use them as metallic accent elements in paintings. Any other suggestions?

A ceramic armature as a base, thin enough to be broken with some judicious use of a hammer and a pin punch/small cold chisel. Solder coins to each other over the surface to create a sort of filigree effect, breaking out the armature afterwards to leave just the coins. The problem is the ugly underside of the soldering will then become visible, but maybe paint the inside of the piece black to de-emphasise it.

Thinking about it though, probably would be rather tedious to carry out.  ;D
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

Quote from: Recusant on January 08, 2022, 06:13:21 AM

A ceramic armature as a base, thin enough to be broken with some judicious use of a hammer and a pin punch/small cold chisel. Solder coins to each other over the surface to create a sort of filigree effect, breaking out the armature afterwards to leave just the coins. The problem is the ugly underside of the soldering will then become visible, but maybe paint the inside of the piece black to de-emphasise it.

Thinking about it though, probably would be rather tedious to carry out.  ;D

Thanks for the suggestion! Tedious isn't a problem for me — I am very patient when I am doing this kind of work.
― Charles Eames

Icarus

This will work for ants, yellow jackets and other subterranean pests.  The idea is to create a novel sculpture, not necessarily to kill the ants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGJ2jMZ-gaI

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hackenslash

There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

billy rubin

i remember standing next to a steam locomotove and tender at a steam exhibit in sacramento.

the machine was immense, and weighed over a million pounds.

words do not do it justice.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

This may be of interest to some of you guys. I have just bought a few SPAANSTEQ HTS-2000 fluxless aluminium brazing rods to test. I need to join some aluminium parts in a new outdoor sculpture project I am working on. I will post the design in the art thread some time. I know that there aren't any reliable adhesives for aluminium that will survive long term exposure to the elements, so I think brazing is the way to go. I have quite a lot going on, but will report back when I get the time to do some tests. In the meantime, here are two videos on the product. I have always thought that brazing aluminium is not easy. Have any of you had any experience?

― Charles Eames

billy rubin

no

welding aluminum is hard e nough

is this similar to the low temperature alumaloy? i think those are aluminum and magnesium

Dark Lightning

When I was still working, I had people who knew how to weld aluminum do the welding.  ;D  I make my stuff out of steel because I know how to do that. I like the looks of this product!

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on May 31, 2022, 02:47:13 PMno

welding aluminum is hard e nough

is this similar to the low temperature alumaloy? i think those are aluminum and magnesium

At the family factory there are some experienced welders who are experts at Al TIG welding who could do it for me, but I have more control if I do it myself this way. I don't know what kind of alloy this is.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 31, 2022, 03:06:55 PMWhen I was still working, I had people who knew how to weld aluminum do the welding.  ;D  I make my stuff out of steel because I know how to do that. I like the looks of this product!

I don't want to use steel because of the rust issue. For some other project I am thinking of using COR-TEN type steel, but it will not suit this sculpture. I want this one to look bright. It is of a kneeling young man holding a tray one could put bird seed into.
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 31, 2022, 04:12:35 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 31, 2022, 03:06:55 PMWhen I was still working, I had people who knew how to weld aluminum do the welding.  ;D  I make my stuff out of steel because I know how to do that. I like the looks of this product!

I don't want to use steel because of the rust issue. For some other project I am thinking of using COR-TEN type steel, but it will not suit this sculpture. I want this one to look bright. It is of a kneeling young man holding a tray one could put bird seed into.

Cool! Now that I know about this product, I may use it in future. I made a frame to place in the guide slots on my table saw so that I could extend the throat and use a sled to cut small parts. It is assembled with button head socket screws and a metallized epoxy called J-B Weld.