Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

Quote from: Tank on July 06, 2020, 09:30:48 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on July 06, 2020, 09:03:59 PM
can you design a minimalist chess game with that?

say, a king, a knight, a bishop, a pawn . . . with scaled-down capabilities?

and are you going to design chessmen for it?

It would be fun to try! As I said this is just learning how things work. I'm now trying to find a wood lathe small enough to make chess pieces!
That would be cool to see! I hope you get to do it!
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

do it, tank

a 16-square chess game might be your contribution to the future

make the knight one square forward, one square left or right, like the traditional pawn

maybe allow the pawn to capture only en passent

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

can you design a minimal

It would be fun to try! As I said this is just learning how things work. I'm now trying to find a wood lathe small enough to make chess pieces!

If you don't want to buy a lathe, you can cobble together a small drill-powered lathe for the occasional small job like chessmen.

You are good at this sort of thing, so it may be worth looking into it.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

I've tried out a product called Froggz Eggz, which is a hand-mouldable thermoplastic. It is a chemical called polycaprolactone. I used it to hold together some screw threads when I was experimenting with a reverse tube for a camera lens.

http://www.pratleyadhesives.com/special-application-products/pratley-frogzeggz-hand-mouldable-plastic

It is made locally by Pratley, but it can be bought in the UK and Europe.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on July 07, 2020, 01:39:15 AM
do it, tank

make the knight one square forward, one square left or right, like the traditional pawn

Explain please?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 07, 2020, 04:48:26 AM
can you design a minimal

If you don't want to buy a lathe, you can cobble together a small drill-powered lathe for the occasional small job like chessmen.

That's a good idea. Buy a cheap drill and burn it into the ground.

In fact I've got an old B&D hammer drill where the hammer action doesn't work! I feel my next project coming on. :)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 07, 2020, 04:55:28 AM
I've tried out a product called Froggz Eggz, which is a hand-mouldable thermoplastic. It is a chemical called polycaprolactone. I used it to hold together some screw threads when I was experimenting with a reverse tube for a camera lens.

http://www.pratleyadhesives.com/special-application-products/pratley-frogzeggz-hand-mouldable-plastic

It is made locally by Pratley, but it can be bought in the UK and Europe.

Interesting. Filed away for future use.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on July 07, 2020, 07:43:46 AM
can you design a minimal

In fact I've got an old B&D hammer drill where the hammer action doesn't work! I feel my next project coming on. :)

I knew that would appeal to you.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 07, 2020, 09:40:22 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 07, 2020, 07:43:46 AM
can you design a minimal

I knew that would appeal to you.

If you watch it there are loads of other DIY drill lathe designs at the end. Great food for thought!

billy rubin

Quote from: Tank on July 07, 2020, 07:42:19 AM
do it, tank

Explain please?

in chess, a pawn can make its first move one or two squares, and captures one square ahead and one square to one side or the other. if a pawn moves two spaces and thrrefore moves through an opposing pawns capture zone to land safely6 alongside, the oppozing pawn is allowed to capture it anyway, in passing. but the opposing pawn must do it on the very next turn or forfeit the opportubity.

your chessboard is so small that there isnt space for long legged pieces like a rook or queen. or even for a pawn to capture ahead and to the side. so i was thinking of contracting the pawns capture zone to just the two squarez alongside

maybe 8 pieces is too many anyway

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on July 07, 2020, 01:34:20 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 07, 2020, 07:42:19 AM
do it, tank

Explain please?

in chess, a pawn can make its first move one or two squares, and captures one square ahead and one square to one side or the other. if a pawn moves two spaces and thrrefore moves through an opposing pawns capture zone to land safely6 alongside, the oppozing pawn is allowed to capture it anyway, in passing. but the opposing pawn must do it on the very next turn or forfeit the opportubity.

your chessboard is so small that there isnt space for long legged pieces like a rook or queen. or even for a pawn to capture ahead and to the side. so i was thinking of contracting the pawns capture zone to just the two squarez alongside

maybe 8 pieces is too many anyway
Well that's a rule I didn't know. I learn something new every day. :)

billy rubin

its apparently a fairly new rule. i looked up the history in wiki and they say its 15th century

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on July 07, 2020, 04:34:32 PM
its apparently a fairly new rule. i looked up the history in wiki and they say its 15th century

I know the rules, but I'm a terrible player, because I lose interest and start thinking about other things. At that point I couldn't care less about winning.
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

More woodworking please.  ;D

I haven't played chess in decades. My only strategy was to take pieces as fast as possible. Anyone with a real strategy would kick my ass. :shrug:

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on July 07, 2020, 04:34:32 PM

:rofl: