News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 12, 2018, 01:16:15 PM
I think I should try to project a more butch image by wearing one of these.

Ingenious design, but a bit of a gimmick. Or "practical jewelry". Butch bling.

I have carried a small multitool for yesrs. So far it has been used to deal with the results of my perenial fragile nail problem and extract a £1 coin jammed in a shopping trolley lock!

Probably get arrested for carrying an item  that could be used as a weapon in UK  -  not so much "brass knuckles" as "steel wrist"!

Later: Coo, only about £160! And with my skinny wrists I would probably have to decided which two tools to remove to fit.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Just thought of another use for my vacuum pump.

I have some really tiny bottles that are perfect for really tiny screws etc. 'Cept the real cork corks are a bit fragile, lacking sufficient binder. So, I could dump them in something like thinned polyurethane varnish, silicon or flexible acrylic filler or even melted wax and impreganate them.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on August 12, 2018, 02:09:14 PM
Just thought of another use for my vacuum pump.

I have some really tiny bottles that are perfect for really tiny screws etc. 'Cept the real cork corks are a bit fragile, lacking sufficient binder. So, I could dump them in something like thinned polyurethane varnish, silicon or flexible acrylic filler or even melted wax and impreganate them.

This is a family forum. You can't go impregnating things here.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I don't see why not Hermes. After all, that's how families are made.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on August 12, 2018, 03:21:06 PM

:snicker1:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on August 12, 2018, 03:21:06 PM

Wot! In a vacuum chamber?!

:whirly:

Though there are a couple of families near me who need evacuating.

hermes2015

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 11, 2018, 01:01:25 PM
A progress report on my project to convert the non-AI Nikon lens. I went out this morning and bought a 2.5mm Wiha screwdriver, which is made in Germany. I tried to unscrew the first little screw, but it would not budge. The tip of the screwdriver was starting to flex, so I stopped before it was bent permanently or before the head of the screw got damaged. I have read that baking the lens at 50 to 55°C would soften the thread lock compound, but I thought I would try a soldering iron first. I then applied the tip of a soldering iron at maximum temperature to the head of each little screw for 2 minutes and then quickly used the screwdriver to try and unscrew it before it cooled. The screws all unscrewed quite effortlessly, which made me very happy!

I am currently working on a sculpture project, so will leave the lens unopened for now. At least the screws can be removed easily when I have time to continue the lens conversion project. Watch this space for further updates.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on August 20, 2018, 02:34:42 PM
What color was the locktite?

I haven't removed the screws completely, just unscrewed about halfway, since I don't want to do any more at the moment. But I still did notice some material of a pale grey colour that came away from the screws.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 20, 2018, 02:52:56 PM

I haven't removed the screws completely, just unscrewed about halfway, since I don't want to do any more at the moment. But I still did notice some material of a pale grey colour that came away from the screws.

Other thread lockers and sealers than Locktite are available, in a range of colours.

I use yellow nail varnish, 'cos I a lady friend did not like it and gave me the bottle (knowing that I would find a use for it). I hasten to add that I do not use it on my finger or toe nails!

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on August 20, 2018, 03:13:18 PM

Other thread lockers and sealers than Locktite are available, in a range of colours.

I use yellow nail varnish, 'cos I a lady friend did not like it and gave me the bottle (knowing that I would find a use for it). I hasten to add that I do not use it on my finger or toe nails!

Yes, of course. We believe you, you cheeky thing.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 20, 2018, 03:16:17 PM

Just to be sure; I don't use it on my teeth either. Oh, heck, no! Please do not let a nontoxic coloured tooth stains become a fashion item!!

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on August 20, 2018, 04:43:35 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on August 20, 2018, 03:16:17 PM

Just to be sure; I don't use it on my teeth either. Oh, heck, no! Please do not let a nontoxic coloured tooth stains become a fashion item!!

As long as it co-ordinates with your nose ring.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

You should be fine with grey. If it was red you might've damaged the lens trying to screw them back in if you didn't clean the threaded holes out. I probably should've mentioned that before but it turned out alright in the end!

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on August 20, 2018, 09:47:34 PM

You should be fine with grey. If it was red you might've damaged the lens trying to screw them back in if you didn't clean the threaded holes out. I probably should've mentioned that before but it turned out alright in the end!

I feel better about it now and know the rest of the job should be OK when I resume, probably only in a few weeks. The screw issue has been on my mind; I just wanted to get it out of the way.
― Charles Eames