News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Stumpy Nubs has a presence at Lumberjocks.com. A lot of people gave him crap when he started out blogging there many years ago, but I and many others gave him encouragement. He's done a great job with it. I post there as Dark Lightning, and have published many projects.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 12, 2021, 03:18:18 PM
Stumpy Nubs has a presence at Lumberjocks.com. A lot of people gave him crap when he started out blogging there many years ago, but I and many others gave him encouragement. He's done a great job with it. I post there as Dark Lightning, and have published many projects.

I just checked out the site and there seems to be lots of useful content.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Hats off to this guy for his excellent methodology. If only all YouTubers were this rational and articulate.

― Charles Eames

Icarus

Good link Hermes. So much for conventional wisdom.

Here is another vid that describes a method for intricate inlays.  This one may be of interest to our maker of elegant boxes; Tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=005_HNv_v4w

Tank

The first box I did for my mother in laws ashes turned out to be way too big. So I made another one which fits a lot better.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Making the Mahler hammer.

― Charles Eames

Recusant

Quote from: Tank on October 17, 2021, 01:19:35 PM
The first box I did for my mother in laws ashes turned out to be way too big. So I made another one which fits a lot better.

Elegant. The little claw feet are a nice touch.  :thumbsup:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

It hasn't got any handles so the feet let you get your fingers underneath to lift it safely. The last thing you'd want to do is drop them!

billy rubin

why is it a problem if its too big?

quartersawn?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

I have quite a big bag of old coins, mainly pre-Euro, from different countries. They are remnants from countless trips to various parts of the world for the last 51 years. I am reluctant to just throw them out, so would appreciate any non-rude suggestions of what I can do with them. One idea I have is to solder them into an undulating sheet that can be a precursor to a hammered sculpture. I could also use them as metallic accent elements in paintings. Any other suggestions?
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 07, 2022, 04:44:27 PM
I have quite a big bag of old coins, mainly pre-Euro, from different countries. They are remnants from countless trips to various parts of the world for the last 51 years. I am reluctant to just throw them out, so would appreciate any non-rude suggestions of what I can do with them. One idea I have is to solder them into an undulating sheet that can be a precursor to a hammered sculpture. I could also use them as metallic accent elements in paintings. Any other suggestions?

Are they of sufficiently varied colours to do an artwork with?

billy rubin

i could never do that

ive got coins from everywhere. precommunist china, victorian pennies, kenyan shillings, borneo, nazi germany, ancient rome, medieval england . . .

i would find it very hard to destroy any of those, even if the result was a thing of beauty.

its a weakness of mine, old stuff

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."