News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

All things gardening

Started by Tank, June 25, 2017, 10:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

orchids come out in different colors due to diffwrent growing conditions

i have one that had white flowers and im waiting to see what the nww ones will look like

light and temperature i think


more people have been to berlin than i have

Randy

Maybe you are supposed to paint them. i guess it was quite the shock to see that.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on February 12, 2021, 02:07:00 PM
I have a question.  :oooh-me!:

A while back someone gave me orchids, pink/purple. New flowers came out but they are white.
What happened?  :headscratch:

If I had to guess, it's probably a white orchid which had been dyed.

I'm not orchid expert, but it seems it's common for blue orchids to have undergone this dying process to get their colour. Maybe in the case of your pink/purple it's the same? :shrug:

https://www.justaddiceorchids.com/orchid-care-blog/dyed-orchids

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey


Magdalena


"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on February 12, 2021, 04:29:36 PM
orchids come out in different colors due to diffwrent growing conditions

i have one that had white flowers and im waiting to see what the nww ones will look like

light and temperature i think
I think you're right. I gave it A LOT more sun than before.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Randy on February 12, 2021, 05:57:55 PM
Maybe you are supposed to paint them. i guess it was quite the shock to see that.
It was a shock!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 12, 2021, 06:00:00 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on February 12, 2021, 02:07:00 PM
I have a question.  :oooh-me!:

A while back someone gave me orchids, pink/purple. New flowers came out but they are white.
What happened?  :headscratch:

If I had to guess, it's probably a white orchid which had been dyed.

I'm not orchid expert, but it seems it's common for blue orchids to have undergone this dying process to get their colour. Maybe in the case of your pink/purple it's the same? :shrug:

https://www.justaddiceorchids.com/orchid-care-blog/dyed-orchids
Why would they do that!?  :eyebrow:
That's not right.
Thank you for the info, next time, I will ask if they have undergone this dying process. Good to know.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

found this

Bringing a new orchid home from the store is fun. We are attracted to the beautiful colors and/or patterns on the flowers. But sometimes, after the newest buds develop in our homes, the newest flowers on the bloom spike don't look like the others. How can this be? There are a variety of reasons behind changes in color but rest assured the plant is usually perfectly healthy. In the case shown, the newest flower is a shade of yellow where all other blooms on the spike are nearly white. The change in color is likely due to differences in light and temperature between the environment it was grown in and its new environment inside the home. In this case lower light likely lead to deeper color saturation.

https://www.repotme.com/pages/orchid-blooms-different-colors



more people have been to berlin than i have

Magdalena

^^
Interesting. Good to know.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

Mags, the person who gave you Orchids, is surely someone who likes you.

Here are some virtual orchids 'cause I like you too. 


Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on February 13, 2021, 02:42:39 AM
Mags, the person who gave you Orchids, is surely someone who likes you.

Here are some virtual orchids 'cause I like you too.
Awwww. That's so sweet!  :hug:
I like you too, Icarus.
Thank you.

Yes, my man gave me the Orchids. We've been having problems, and one day he brought me the Orchids and said:

"This plant represents my heart, please take good care of it."

I not only took good care of it, I also made it bloom.   :grin:


"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant