News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Proof of a soul? NDEs in the blind.

Started by manga, April 08, 2017, 12:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: manga on April 09, 2017, 08:20:46 PM
Quote from: Recusant on April 09, 2017, 01:18:57 PM
To me, it is telling that manga has completely ignored solidsquid's excellent investigation of the background of the "Epoch Times" story. There is nothing trustworthy in the contents of the article; nothing solid that can serve as the basis of a rational discussion of the topic. This is a recurring theme in the all the related fields of "out-of-body experiences," "near-death experiences," and disembodied consciousness in general. Lacking verifiable evidence they will always remain in the realm of "what if," and while that may be entertaining in the way that a cannabis-fueled bullshit session is, no rational conclusion can be drawn.

People who want to believe in these things are grasping at the straws offered by charlatans and those who've convinced themselves that they're real. They will never be deterred by those who point out the fact that all there is supporting the belief is spurious logic based on flimsy or misrepresented evidence.

I know epoch times aren't the greatest, but there is a video of the lady telling the story, and why would a blind woman  lie about seeing things?

For similar reasons that a sighted person might?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Gloucester on April 09, 2017, 08:55:37 PM

I know epoch times aren't the greatest, but there is a video of the lady telling the story, and why would a blind woman  lie about seeing things?

For similar reasons that a sighted person might?

Just what I was thinking.  There's nothing that stops a blind person from being delusional, or relying more on wishful thinking than on common sense.  And certainly nothing that stops a blind person from lying.  These are common human failings.

A question: if I made a video talking about the evidence I had for a dragon living in my garage, would that count as evidence for the existence of dragons?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

Maria, that link is a real treasure.  I particularly liked section three, the function of the temporal lobe that causes us, or enables us, to be religious.  The text is lengthy  and is not a casual read. I suspect that most of the HAFers, and others of our ilk, will find it well worth the read.

Guardian85

To me, it is telling that manga has completely ignored solidsquid's excellent investigation of the background of the "Epoch Times" story. There is nothing trustworthy in the contents of the article; nothing solid that can serve as the basis of a rational discussion of the topic. This is a recurring theme in the all the related fields of "out-of-body experiences," "near-death experiences," and disembodied consciousness in general. Lacking verifiable evidence they will always remain in the realm of "what if," and while that may be entertaining in the way that a cannabis-fueled bullshit session is, no rational conclusion can be drawn.

People who want to believe in these things are grasping at the straws offered by charlatans and those who've convinced themselves that they're real. They will never be deterred by those who point out the fact that all there is supporting the belief is spurious logic based on flimsy or misrepresented evidence.

She may not be lying, merely wrong about what she thinks she experienced.
Or she is lying in order to gain something (attention, sympathy, money...).

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

manga

Quote from: Guardian85 on April 10, 2017, 02:51:34 AM

I understand what y'all are saying. So, then for the last time, none of you think the fact that a blind person cannot likely see in dreams makes this supernatural?

Velma

Quote from: manga on April 10, 2017, 03:02:21 AM

I understand what y'all are saying. So, then for the last time, none of you think the fact that a blind person cannot likely see in dreams makes this supernatural?
No. Why would her claim to have seen something during an altered mental state be proof of anything like that?
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Arturo

I believe that the most unlikely thing to happen (based on my view of the evidence leading up to the event) which proved me wrong once I actually saw it, was that
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
was fucking amazing. go goes
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: manga on April 10, 2017, 03:02:21 AM

Got that right for me, manga. There is no evidence for the supernatural, anywhere in any situation, that I can see.

This does not stop me being an avid fan of the fantasy literary/cinematic genre though. But when I close the book or turn off the video I am back in the real world.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

This is a very convincing testimony of how beautiful, and/or ugly, the supernatural if it exists, could be... :shifty:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

manga

thanks to everyone, I think you were all very rational, and I appreciate that.

Recusant

Manga, there are atheists who believe in ghosts and souls, OBE, NDE, and so forth. There are even people who call themselves atheist who believe in a deity or "universal spirit" (see #4 in this list). You'll note that it's a rather small percentage.

I'd surmise that atheists who believe these things are less likely to join a site like this, which is why you haven't got any takers here. When there are multiple plausible explanations for a phenomenon, choosing "it's supernatural" seems unjustified unless you really want to believe in the supernatural. It's not the first logical choice.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

Quote from: Recusant on April 10, 2017, 09:36:00 AM
When there are multiple plausible explanations for a phenomenon, choosing "it's supernatural" seems unjustified unless you really want to believe in the supernatural. It's not the first logical choice.

I suggest you Google Occam's Razor, Manga.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

I'd surmise that atheists who believe these things are less likely to join a site like this, which is why you haven't got any takers here.

Personally, I've got too many other things of greater interest to me to spend serious time on, and I assume that if real, convincing evidence of the supernatural turned up the scientific community would be all over it.  After all, that would be the greatest breakthrough ever, and I imagine there would be something about it intriguing to every scientific discipline.  If there were anything to it, we'd be reading about it daily -- the research papers and peer reviews would be flying.

When that happens, I will change my mind about proposed evidence for the supernatural, but until that happens I will continue to regard it as wishful thinking at best.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

Mags, The SNL vid was a real hoot. I LMAO.   ;D

Pasta Chick

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 10, 2017, 09:34:30 PM
I'd surmise that atheists who believe these things are less likely to join a site like this, which is why you haven't got any takers here.

Personally, I've got too many other things of greater interest to me to spend serious time on, and I assume that if real, convincing evidence of the supernatural turned up the scientific community would be all over it.  After all, that would be the greatest breakthrough ever, and I imagine there would be something about it intriguing to every scientific discipline.  If there were anything to it, we'd be reading about it daily -- the research papers and peer reviews would be flying.

When that happens, I will change my mind about proposed evidence for the supernatural, but until that happens I will continue to regard it as wishful thinking at best.

Definitely this. I've definitely expertthings I have no clear explanation for, but generally I think "huh, that was weird" and that's that. There must be an explanation, and "I don't really know" seems a lot more sound than literally making shit up to explain it. If I'm really motivated I can usually find some related science.