Hmm, Not Sure What to Think About This One

Started by Recusant, March 01, 2017, 11:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Everything looks good except the actual handling of goods.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Davin on March 02, 2017, 03:48:03 PM
Everything looks good except the actual handling of goods.

Haha, I thought the same...probably would need to design a tote specific for the robot to handle, seems like the one thing they overlooked.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Ecurb Noselrub

At some point only highly educated/trained/talented people will have anything to do, and they will control everything.  We won't need unskilled or low-skilled labor.

Dave

I was not sure about a 100lb load in that crate, looked like plastic. Would such a lattice crate take that weight without distorting?

But, still gotta admit I am impressed with the balance acheived,

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on March 02, 2017, 05:12:04 PM
At some point only highly educated/trained/talented people will have anything to do, and they will control everything.  We won't need unskilled or low-skilled labor.

Awesome opportunity right here for an excellent lawyer joke, but I promised to be nice during lent. 8)

Dave

For the moment the Chinese have enough people to keep occupied it is not worth their while going fully auto. After making enquiries about the spec of a device I was offered it up to quantities of 10 000 per month, with a one month lead and 75% discount for that quantity. I did a little research into the company, they emploedy up to 20 000 people, in huge dormitories for the country kids flocking to town for work, on their main manufacturing site. With special features to reduce the suicide incidence.

That was some years ago, wonder if it has changed.

Edit: I conflated two stories, the suicide one was at Foxconn, then Apple's manufacturer of choice.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Father Bruno on March 02, 2017, 05:32:31 PM

Awesome opportunity right here for an excellent lawyer joke, but I promised to be nice during lent. 8)

I absolve thee of all sin, therefore you may state your joke, my son. 

Icarus

I am reading Velmas description of her facility and its level of automation. Then I am thinking....buzz whirr, buzz, whirr, and I see political overtones. Our new Prez is going to bring back jobs, Right.  A principle reason for job loss is automation.  Which makes me think of the Luddites that destroyed machinery that took their jobs....buzz, whirr....etc. 

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on March 02, 2017, 09:55:21 PM
I am reading Velmas description of her facility and its level of automation. Then I am thinking....buzz whirr, buzz, whirr, and I see political overtones. Our new Prez is going to bring back jobs, Right.  A principle reason for job loss is automation.  Which makes me think of the Luddites that destroyed machinery that took their jobs....buzz, whirr....etc.

Not to mention the French saboteurs who committed sabotage, put the boot in, by chucking their sabots into the machinery to clog it up...

Now they will just hack it, imagine a factory full of "insane" robots!

Arturo

Bring back the jobs and give them to robots herp derp.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

American Conservatives are trying to stand rigid against a changing world. That makes us fragile, not strong. If they really wanted to support American jobs, they'd spend money to educate the people and to support the sciences.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on March 02, 2017, 09:02:31 PM
Quote from: Father Bruno on March 02, 2017, 05:32:31 PM

I absolve thee of all sin, therefore you may state your joke, my son.

Thank you for absolution, but it won't be as funny now as the window of spontaneity has been shut, however. I will keep this for use a a later date, sort of a "Get Out of Jail Free" card. 8)

Arturo

Quote from: Davin on March 03, 2017, 02:11:55 PM
American Conservatives are trying to stand rigid against a changing world. That makes us fragile, not strong. If they really wanted to support American jobs, they'd spend money to educate the people and to support the sciences.

If they get a big enough pay check, they will do what ever their corporate masters want and promise (lie) to give what their voters tell them to do.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Lark

Thinking about jobs for people  .....  When the Industrial Revolution occurred and mechinisation in all fields began and jobs disappeared it was hard to see what people would find to do.  Everything advanced and jobs appeared though of a different sort.  Maybe when robots  take over it will be the same  ??????

Dave

Quote from: Lark on March 11, 2017, 02:05:00 PM
Thinking about jobs for people  .....  When the Industrial Revolution occurred and mechinisation in all fields began and jobs disappeared it was hard to see what people would find to do.  Everything advanced and jobs appeared though of a different sort.  Maybe when robots  take over it will be the same  ??????
Seems it may be that the trend is still that way:

Technology has created more jobs than it has destroyed, says 140 years of data

The trick is to give the kids the skills and knowledge they will need tomorrow, not those of yesterday. But I fear that there is far to much "traditional" teaching going on.

Though, reading the article more carefully, it seens that we might be getting into tge same problem as the Golfafrinchabs:

QuoteThe Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B was a way of removing the basically useless citizens from the planet of Golgafrincham. A variety of stories were formed about the doom of the planet, such as blowing up, crashing into the sun or being eaten by a mutant stargoat. The ship was filled with all the middlemen of Golgafrincham, such as the telephone sanitisers, account executives, hair dressers, tired TV producers, insurance salesmen, personnel officers, security guards, public relations executives and management consultants.

Ark Fleet ships A and C  were supposed to carry the people who ruled, thought, or actually did useful work.

The ship was programmed to crash onto its designated planet, Earth. The captain remember [sic ]that he was told a good reason for this, but had forgotten it, although the reason was later revealed to be because the Ark Ship B Golgafrinchans were a 'bunch of useless idiots'.