News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Atheists have it easier in UK

Started by weedoch, June 19, 2008, 09:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jane

The really evangelical churches I grew up in THRIVE on the "we're a persecuted minority, suffering for Christ" mentality. It's not surprising they'd be more aggressive in less religious areas.  

Knocking door-to-door in Oklahoma and finding out everyone you talk to loves Jesus too isn't going to make you feel self-righteous or superior in any way. In San Fran, though, if everyone you encounter is a "lost heathen" - wow! You are SO superior, and re-enforces the idea that the world needs Jesus - it fuels your missions...

Will

I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

karadan

Quote from: "Jane"The really evangelical churches I grew up in THRIVE on the "we're a persecuted minority, suffering for Christ" mentality. It's not surprising they'd be more aggressive in less religious areas.  

Knocking door-to-door in Oklahoma and finding out everyone you talk to loves Jesus too isn't going to make you feel self-righteous or superior in any way. In San Fran, though, if everyone you encounter is a "lost heathen" - wow! You are SO superior, and re-enforces the idea that the world needs Jesus - it fuels your missions...

Wow.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

weedoch

I definitely have a lot more respect now for openly non-religious over-the-ponders. As for the whole door step thing, we have that over here and in a way I respect their dedication - some seem genuinely worried for my soul - and it takes guts in Europe to proselytise! I wonder why there is such a strong need to condemn non-Christians in America? As an outsider I've noticed that conforming is a strong pull for the national identity - which appears to be the case with the use of the word Patriot too. It seems like the ultimate argument to prevent questioning the governing group to say you are being unpatriotic. Which would be worse to be thought of: atheist or non patriot?

Kylyssa

Quote from: "weedoch"I definitely have a lot more respect now for openly non-religious over-the-ponders. As for the whole door step thing, we have that over here and in a way I respect their dedication - some seem genuinely worried for my soul - and it takes guts in Europe to proselytise! I wonder why there is such a strong need to condemn non-Christians in America? As an outsider I've noticed that conforming is a strong pull for the national identity - which appears to be the case with the use of the word Patriot too. It seems like the ultimate argument to prevent questioning the governing group to say you are being unpatriotic. Which would be worse to be thought of: atheist or non patriot?

In the US atheist = non patriot.

Not all non patriots are atheists but all atheists are considered non patriots.  Bush the First made several public statements to that effect and the rest of the religious right has glommed onto that attitude.

OldGit

Quote from: "weedoch"I definitely have a lot more respect now for openly non-religious over-the-ponders.
I second that.

Mister Joy

The only real fundies I've ever encountered have been either in America or American missionaries in Bristol (they wonder around stopping people in the street and bombarding them with questions). It's definitely a far more unforgiving climate for atheists in the US. I figured that out very quickly when I first went there - the difference is obvious even to an 8 year old. I'd say it's also a pretty unforgiving climate for 'non-patriots'. And homosexuals. And people of Eastern ethnicity living in white areas.

My impression is that elitism and flag-waving bullshit, generally, is everywhere in the States. If you aren't in a majority then keep yourself to yourself, don't voice your opinions openly and don't get in anyone's way seems to be almost the etiquette. If you disobey this rule then people apparently view it as a deliberate attempt to sabotage cultural harmony. Again, this is just my strong impression. However, I think it's becoming a particularly common one at the moment as, with everything going on in the world, the US seems to have become increasingly divided.

So yeah, muchos respect for the American atheists. Being atheistic here, I'd say, is probably easier than being a Christian. Even those in the faith seem to recognise that atheism = religious neutrality, hence nobody - even the Christians - would tolerate a strongly & openly religious leader here. The USA is a whole different kettle of fish. The fact that someone like Mike Huckabee (who terrifies me) could get as close to becoming president as he did tells it all, really.

EDIT: By the way, to the newer members, I'm in the UK. Just so you know where exactly I mean when I use the word 'here'.

Will

Quote from: "Mister Joy"The only real fundies I've ever encountered have been either in America or American missionaries in Bristol (they wonder around stopping people in the street and bombarding them with questions).
Whoa, our trash is in your country? Sorry about that. We're doing our best to keep them in line over here, but it's like have 17 kids. Sometimes they get away from us.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Jane

In Ireland, the base assumption is just that you're Catholic. Weirdly, even the handful I know (very SMALL handful) that don't believe in god have said "I may not believe in god, but I'm still a Catholic"...

Last year, my husband's beloved uncle passed away and due to an intensely stressful time at work, he wasn't able to be at the hospital often. So I took on the role of being at the hospital, talking to the doctors, relaying information to the family, etc. During all the religious cliches at the bedside, I let it slip to one or two that I was an athiest. The most insulting reaction to that is a knowing "tsk tsk - you'll change your mind when it's you or your husband on that bed!"  as if they know WAY better than me about the matter. Ugh. So, the problem is I didn't care enough about our uncle to turn to god, but somehow, I WOULD care if it were my husband? That's insulting.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "weedoch"I've just joined up with this site and am frankly amazed by how hard it seems to be atheist or anything other than Christian in the States. Is this a fair representation? In the UK where I live there just isn't a problem and the vast majority of people I know don't go to church every week. The most I've ever had is a mild eyebrow raising at being so unEnglishly definitive (most would claim to be agnostic) but I've certainly never been called evil or hell fodder. It's an education, I tell ya. Do other Brits agree with me?

It can be very hard here in the states.If you are not Chrisitan atleast in my surrounding towns you are are no better then dirt.Just in my surrounding area I found 34 Churches.3 in my small town,we don't even have a store here.But that doesn't matter we have God. :hail:

OldGit

Jane, that reminds me of the old joke from the North of Ireland:
'Are yeez a catalick 'r a prodistnt?'
'Actually, I'm an atheist.'
But are yeez a catalick atheist 'r a prodistnt atheist?' :rant:

susangail

I've never lived anywhere but little old conservative Bakersfield. We have a high percentage of church-goers here. You can drive anywhere around town and you're bound to see mormon boys in their suits on their bicycles on their two-year mission. It's very rare I go a day without seeing a few.

Hardly anyone is openly atheist. And those who are are considered evil liberals.

Quote from: "Kylyssa"In the US atheist = non patriot.

Not all non patriots are atheists but all atheists are considered non patriots.  Bush the First made several public statements to that effect and the rest of the religious right has glommed onto that attitude.

“No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.” ~George Bush (senior)

I want to know, since when is this "one nation under God"? but that's a different topic....
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "susangail"I've never lived anywhere but little old conservative Bakersfield. We have a high percentage of church-goers here. You can drive anywhere around town and you're bound to see mormon boys in their suits on their bicycles on their two-year mission. It's very rare I go a day without seeing a few.

Hardly anyone is openly atheist. And those who are are considered evil liberals.

Quote from: "Kylyssa"In the US atheist = non patriot.

“No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.” ~George Bush (senior)

I want to know, since when is this "one nation under God"? but that's a different topic....
I think alot of Americans ,atheist or not are non-patriots as of late.George Bush Sr. has no right to say anything.If it weren't for him and his spawn we wouldn't be in the mess we are now.

Smallville

Quote from: "Willravel"
Quote from: "Mister Joy"The only real fundies I've ever encountered have been either in America or American missionaries in Bristol (they wonder around stopping people in the street and bombarding them with questions).
Whoa, our trash is in your country? Sorry about that. We're doing our best to keep them in line over here, but it's like have 17 kids. Sometimes they get away from us.

A niece's husband recently spent six weeks as a missionary in England. He was stationed around Nottingham, if memory serves, bringing the word of the American evangelicals to the heathenish Church of England.

Oh, by the way, during this time his daughter was born but he couldn't get back until his service was up.
Two wrongs don't make a right but three left turns will.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." â€" Nietzsche
"Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." - Clarence Darrow

Mister Joy

Quote from: "smallville"
QuoteThe only real fundies I've ever encountered have been either in America or American missionaries in Bristol (they wonder around stopping people in the street and bombarding them with questions).

A niece's husband recently spent six weeks as a missionary in England. He was stationed around Nottingham, if memory serves, bringing the word of the American evangelicals to the heathenish Church of England.

We do ship some of our nutters over to the US, though. I think the really crazy British Christians tend to move to the States of their own accord. Check this guy out, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt1Yo610lG0&feature=user

He also claims that the 'posh' British accent is 'charming' & therefore 'SaTaNiC', that WW2 was a 'Satanic Plan' & that people had computers in ancient Greece. :unsure: Oh and he thinks that Aliens assassinated JFK.