News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Started by MommaSquid, August 02, 2006, 02:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

Quote from: "laetusatheos"
Quote from: "onlyme"laetus, do you have kids of your own?

No, but I've worked in a day care and took care of other people's kids.  I was able to get kids to mind me without having to even smack their hand lightly.  All you have to do is get the kids to respect you as an authority figure and they will do what you say...sometimes it requires being firm, but does not require hitting.   We tell kids not to hit each other...what kind of standard does it set if we are hypocritical and hit the child?

Hitting kids? That's for weaklings and fools. Tasers are the way to go!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

McQ

I apologize for my previous message. I would never Taser someone else's kids.

Unless they REALLY deserved it. :lol:

No, really. I wouldn't.

really

:shocked:
--Penn Jillette

MommaSquid

Quote from: "laetusatheos"And, yes, I'm saying that spanking is absolutely not necessary for teaching a child right from wrong or how not to harm themselves.

It’s interesting that the men on this forum seem to be OK with spanking while the women are against it.  (Hurray, girls!)

I’ve never witnessed a child being spanked without anger, frustration, or laziness being a factor in the parent’s action.

Tasers, hmmm.
Taser Training Clip

McQ

Quote from: "MommaSquid"
Quote from: "laetusatheos"And, yes, I'm saying that spanking is absolutely not necessary for teaching a child right from wrong or how not to harm themselves.

It’s interesting that the men on this forum seem to be OK with spanking while the women are against it.  (Hurray, girls!)

I’ve never witnessed a child being spanked without anger, frustration, or laziness being a factor in the parent’s action.

Tasers, hmmm.
Taser Training Clip

Heh-heh...

By the way, to set the record straight on men thinking spanking is ok:
I spanked my oldest son. Once, when he was four. Never again, and never any of my other three boys. The one and only time I did it was just plain wrong on my part, and the mistake was never repeated. We've been able to rear them without any corporal punishment. But it's amazing what taking away their privileges will do to gain co-operation.
 :lol:
--Penn Jillette

Court

Quote from: "mommasquid"I’ve never witnessed a child being spanked without anger, frustration, or laziness being a factor in the parent’s action.

Me either. I really am serious about not having children, and this is one of the reasons. I'm so impatient, I want to beat other people's children all the time, just from impatience and frustration.
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

MommaSquid

Quote from: "McQ"By the way, to set the record straight on men thinking spanking is ok:
I spanked my oldest son. Once, when he was four. Never again, and never any of my other three boys. The one and only time I did it was just plain wrong on my part, and the mistake was never repeated. We've been able to rear them without any corporal punishment. But it's amazing what taking away their privileges will do to gain co-operation.
 :lol:

Bravo.   :D

Big Mac

Eh, I"m going to still disagree. I deserved the ass-whoopings I received. I misbehaved and acted out a lot and I think I didn't get fully what I deserved. Now I'm kind of worried about trying to become a cop after seeing that video. You know, I'll just be a postal worker, they carry guns around.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: "Court"

Unless you're too stupid to know how else to get your child to understand. Onlyme, do you honestly think that spanking is the only way?

Of course I don't think spanking is the only way, Court, but I do think it is 'sometimes' necessary to give a light spank.  I don't mean putting them over your knee and repeatedly hitting them, I just mean the odd, gentle slap on their legs or bottom or hand sometimes, when all else fails.  Also, it should only be used as a last resort.  I think anybody who goes through all other means first, then finds for the child's own safety, a gentle slap is necessary, should not be labelled 'abuser'.  A little spanking here and there never did me any harm, and actually was instrumental a lot of the time in preventing me from doing some things I would probably have otherwise done, if I'd known I could have gotten away with it.

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: "McQ"I apologize for my previous message. I would never Taser someone else's kids.

Unless they REALLY deserved it. :lol:

No, really. I wouldn't.

really

:shocked:

What's wrong with Tasering kids anyway?   It's the only way of keeping the little blighters in check, sometimes, especially OTHER people's kids.

.....am I thinking out loud again?

Asmodean Prime

Mommasquid, along with your list - frustration, anger, etc

you never mentioned another factor which comes into play in the scenarios I'm talking about - concern - concern for the child's safety, etc.

If I spank a child, it's not out of hate, laziness, 'losing it' etc, but concern, and realising that this is sometimes necessary.  Of course I always regret afterwards that it came to that, and explain that to the child, but I explain that I also thought it necessary in light of their continued, and often dangerous behaviour.  I still say a light spanking is better for the child than for them to run into the road and get killed, or injured in some other way.  Maybe I would class it as the lesser of two evils.

Tasers, hmmm.
Taser Training Clip

Asmodean Prime

Mommasquid, along with your list - frustration, anger, etc

you never mentioned another factor which comes into play in the scenarios I'm talking about - concern - concern for the child's safety, etc.

If I spank a child, it's not out of hate, laziness, 'losing it' etc, but concern, and realising that this is sometimes necessary.  Of course I always regret afterwards that it came to that, and explain that to the child, but I explain that I also thought it necessary in light of their continued, and often dangerous behaviour.  I still say a light spanking is better for the child than for them to run into the road and get killed, or injured in some other way.  Maybe I would class it as the lesser of two evils.

Tasers, hmmm.
Taser Training Clip

Whitney

Quote from: "onlyme"mommosquid:  Yes, corporal punishment (a light slap) CAN be included in unconditional love, if it's done with the intent of teaching the child and securing his safety. Is a lesser effective alternative better?

MikeyV: of course you can be a 'loose cannon' too.  Seems there are a lot of loose cannons on here, and I sometimes think I'm the only SANE person here.

It reminds me of a fairytale I heard as a kid, can't remember how it went exactly, but it was something about a wicked witch poisoning the well, and everybody in the village, except one, drank from the well and became insane.  Well, they all thought that the 'sane' person was insane, because they were all of one mind, and eventually the sane person got fed up and drank the water himself, then became insane.  The result was that all the other people exclaimed...'Oh, look (so and so) has regained his sanity at last!'

Well, I'm keeping my sanity!  Ha ha

I'm sane.  I'm sane.  I know if I keep telling myself this, I will be alright.  
I'm sane.  I'm sane.  ... la de dah, dee da dum, la la dee

Quote from: "McQ"We've been able to rear them without any corporal punishment. But it's amazing what taking away their privileges will do to gain co-operation.

Court

In my pedagogy classes, we've always learned to use the "least" principle. Basically, if a kid is acting up in class, use the least amount of punishment (and, as an added bonus with teaching, the least disruptive) possible, because over-punishment will simply make the kids disrespect you.
When I was spanked as a child, lesser punishments would have made me behave just as well. In fact, spanking only made me afraid of my parents. Taking away certain priveliges makes the child fear the punishment, not the punishers, which is more healthy, I think.
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Court"In fact, spanking only made me afraid of my parents.

Taking away certain priveliges makes the child fear the punishment, not the punishers, which is more healthy, I think.

Well said.

Asmodean Prime

I had a girlfriend that insisted on being spanked, and I can attest that it did not change her behavior one bit.  Ok, ok, no! The problem with spanking is that it is almost always accompanied by anger, and that means fear is the response.  Fear may prevent a repeated action, but is a terrible result, especially if it then seeps into other areas of the child's behavior.