News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Tech help

Started by Dave, January 27, 2017, 10:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

I've had a fair amount of experience with QNAP devices with a number of clients and in our own office.  They are reliable and work well.  You also have the option of running them using iSCSI for a SAN - I've run one a a site with iSCSI on one interface and standard SMB NAS on the other, splitting the storage between the SAN and NAS.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tom62

Quote from: Bluenose on January 07, 2021, 12:33:33 AM
I've had a fair amount of experience with QNAP devices with a number of clients and in our own office.  They are reliable and work well.  You also have the option of running them using iSCSI for a SAN - I've run one a a site with iSCSI on one interface and standard SMB NAS on the other, splitting the storage between the SAN and NAS.

Was it easy to set them up? I heard some people say on YouTube and Amazon that the QNAP software isn't so intuitive and even unstable.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Bluenose

Quote from: Tom62 on January 07, 2021, 03:55:53 PM

Was it easy to set them up? I heard some people say on YouTube and Amazon that the QNAP software isn't so intuitive and even unstable.

Earlier versions were a bit clunky with the LDAP integration, but I never had any problem setting up the iSCSI interface.  If you're not going to use it as a SAN (and now there are actual fibre channel SAN expansion cards available for the latest QNAPS) then iSCSI is irrelevant and they are pretty easy to set up and configure.  But maybe I'm just familiar with them.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tom62

Quote from: Bluenose on January 08, 2021, 04:50:11 AM
Quote from: Tom62 on January 07, 2021, 03:55:53 PM

Earlier versions were a bit clunky with the LDAP integration, but I never had any problem setting up the iSCSI interface.  If you're not going to use it as a SAN (and now there are actual fibre channel SAN expansion cards available for the latest QNAPS) then iSCSI is irrelevant and they are pretty easy to set up and configure.  But maybe I'm just familiar with them.

Thanks Bluenose! I'm not going to set the NAS up as a SAN, so I should be OK. The NAS will be used for backup and as a media server; later I'll probably use it for virtual machines and Docker as well.

BTW for anyone interested in NAS technology. On YouTube I found a very nice British channel, called NASCompares (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFyP17HoU-vpxhIpGXnXx2g) that offers loads of very good information about NAS hardware and software.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

Summoning the tech wizards for help!  :P

I'm helping a professor with a Facebook page for this year's Brain Awareness Week. She added me as an editor so I could help her post content, links and updates. 

This evening I got a message from her saying she accidentality deleted an entire Album. Hmm. Ok. I myself am rather clueless as to how to retrieve deleted content from a FB page, which apparently is different from a restoring deleted photos from a personal account.

I looked it up online, read about 7 tutorials, but none of them are really helpful or are outdated. So, I thought about opening a cached version of the FB page in question to retrieve the deleted photos, but when I try it asks me to log into my account and when I do, I leave the cached page.

What do I do?  :-\

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Randy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 13, 2021, 12:42:09 AM

I'm helping a professor with a Facebook page for this year's Brain Awareness Week. She added me as an editor so I could help her post content, links and updates. 

This evening I got a message from her saying she accidentality deleted an entire Album. Hmm. Ok. I myself am rather clueless as to how to retrieve deleted content from a FB page, which apparently is different from a restoring deleted photos from a personal account.

I looked it up online, read about 7 tutorials, but none of them are really helpful or are outdated. So, I thought about opening a cached version of the FB page in question to retrieve the deleted photos, but when I try it asks me to log into my account and when I do, I leave the cached page.

I don't know anything about Facebook but here's an idea. Go through the motions including leaving the cached page. Now try seeing if you can get to it.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Randy on March 13, 2021, 11:28:41 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 13, 2021, 12:42:09 AM

I don't know anything about Facebook but here's an idea. Go through the motions including leaving the cached page. Now try seeing if you can get to it.

Somehow the gods of Facebook smiled upon me and I was able to retrieve the content. :grin:  :thumbsup:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Randy

I don't know if this belongs here however, in my Recent Unread Topics I've got four pages of really old posts. Does any one have an idea as to why?

Edit: Never mind. I must have pressed something else because it's working correctly.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Icarus

Since I was banned and then forgiven, I cannot play any of the video posts.  If I press the button for play, a black screen jumps up and tells me that an error occurred.  I tested my internet speed and it tells me that it is fast enough at 15.2 mb.

What else should I do?  Oh yeah, I can play any You tube video with no problem at all. 

Recusant

Thank you for pointing that out Icarus. Checking, I get the same problem. Seems likely we will have to find a workaround.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

How to post a scanned document on the forum ?. The document is in my files. Will I need to transfer the scanned item to Imgur or some other place before I can post it? A hopscotch routine?

Dark Lightning

:o Icarus got banned!? Guess I better go check on my Ps and Qs.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on April 29, 2023, 11:42:52 PMHow to post a scanned document on the forum ?. The document is in my files. Will I need to transfer the scanned item to Imgur or some other place before I can post it? A hopscotch routine?

Yes. That's exactly what you need to do
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Tank you Tank.   Yes I know that basic information is posted elsewhere. But we have had several revisions to the forum mechanism since that instruction.  Just checking.....

hermes2015

Icarus, to add a little to what Tank has said: a scanned document is just an image like a photo. If you want to edit the text by changing words or adding extra paragraphs, you can use OCR (Optical Character Recognition) to convert the image into real text that can be edited in a word processor. That is even more of a hopscotch routine, but I've been forced to use it on occasion.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames