Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

According to Dredge: Abiogenesis is Magic

Started by Dredge, December 30, 2016, 05:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dredge on December 30, 2016, 05:23:33 AM
Only God can perform magic.

I'm not good at science or math, but that above sounds like special pleading to me, which makes the statement completely worthless.  Can you support the idea of magic and supernatural beings without using special pleading?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Gloucester on December 31, 2016, 10:42:46 AM

Shampoo might actually help generate life!

No, no just no, shampoo kills, it kills.
Conditioner gives life, life, it is known.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on December 31, 2016, 03:34:39 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 30, 2016, 08:42:48 PM

And for your listening pleasure:

Oh, my Asmo, that's hilarious!
:picard facepalm:
:lol:
:rofl:
:hug:

:postoday:

:grin:

Everyone should have a squeaky toy or two by their side for moments of stress and frustration I say, and in the absence of toys sound clips will have to do. ;)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 31, 2016, 02:16:54 PM

Everyone should have a squeaky toy or two by their side for moments of stress and frustration I say, and in the absence of toys sound clips will have to do. ;)

Rather have a squeaky person by my side to squeeze!

:hug2:

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on December 31, 2016, 02:48:55 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 31, 2016, 02:16:54 PM

Rather have a squeaky person by my side to squeeze!

:hug2:

:chin: Squeaky people often complain when you squeeze them too hard, others squeak obnoxiously loud. If you find someone who squeaks just right they're a keeper for sure!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 30, 2016, 10:09:31 AM
If you ask me, all research into how life arose from inanimate matter can be rendered laughable and futile by applying a couple of scientific laws learnt in high school.  The first is the Second Law of Thermodynamics and the second is mathematical probability. 

Regarding the latter, the chance of a living, reproducing organism arising from dead matter is so vanishing small that it isn't worth considering.  In any other field of science, such infinitesimally small odds would render a theory dead in the water.  But atheists desperately need to believe that abiogenesis happened, and so they are willing to ignore the rules of science and put their faith in a scientific impossibility.  Such irrational and psychologically-driven reasoning has no place in science, but is mighty useful when it comes to superstition.  Abiogenesis research is really based on belief in magic.

I know Christmas is over but I suggest you gift yourself with a copy of the following book:

You clearly have no understanding whatsoever of the subject of abiogenesis.  :reading:
Ha!

Also, the way some creationist types um... Apply, let's call it, quantum mechanics is cringe-worthy. Is there a For Dummies book for that?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Pasta Chick

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dredge

Quote from: solidsquid on December 31, 2016, 02:00:46 AM
I'd be interested in seeing the math from which you derived this conclusion.  Please enlighten us with your probability model for the origin of life. However, I detect the presence of an argument from personal incredulity so I won't get my hopes up.

An unobserved (past or future) event can reasonably be declared impossible without calculating the mathematical probability of that event.   The mathematical probability of some unobserved events, be they deemed possible or impossible, cannot ever be calculated.  
Furthermore, even if the probability of an unobserved event can be calculated, we still may have no way of knowing if is possible or impossible (for example, if the probability of a certain event is calculated to be one in a trillion-trillion, is the event possible or impossible?)

It is reasonable to declare it impossible for my house to be struck by a brick-size meteorite every day for a year, even though the mathematical probability of such an event occurring cannot be calculated.

It is reasonable to declare it impossible that the action of waves crashing onto the sea shore will ever arrange sea shells on that shore to read out my full name, address, age, occupation, home and email addresses, phone number and bank account details, even though the mathematical probability of such an event occurring cannot be calculated.

It is reasonable to declare it is impossible for a forest to ever build a log cabin, even though the mathematical probability of such an event cannot be calculated.

It is reasonable to declare it impossible for baboons to ever build a space craft and fly it to the moon and back, even though the mathematical probability of such an event cannot be calculated.

It is reasonable to declare it impossible for dead matter to ever arrange itself into a self-replicating, living machine within a few hours (ie, before it dies), even though the mathematical probability of such an event cannot be calculated.

Follow the evidence wherever it leads.

Dredge

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 31, 2016, 12:45:18 PM

I'm not good at science or math, but that above sounds like special pleading to me, which makes the statement completely worthless.  Can you support the idea of magic and supernatural beings without using special pleading?
Er, no; you've got me there.  Since I can't prove that God exists, I concede that "God did it" is a worthless statement - just as worthless as "God didn't do it", since no one can prove that God doesn't exist.

Dredge

Quote from: Tank on December 30, 2016, 01:13:04 PM
Spit from the original thread and moved to the troll pile.

Dredge.

If you want to promote creationism, and that is what this post does, please put your posts in the correct area of the forum. Your card is marked. This means I will ban you at the slightest sign of trolling or abusing the forum. You have been warned.

Have a nice day.

Tank.

Sorry.  My mistake.

Dredge

Quote from: Recusant on December 30, 2016, 03:57:15 PM
Hello, Dredge. In regard to your assertions about mathematical probability, I'd like to see your working out. That is, show the basis for your maths--how do you derive the parameters. Then show what calculations you've performed. Talk is cheap.
Any "first simple cell" would need to reproduce in order for the species to survive.  Do you imagine the reproduction of a cell would be a simple process?  I don't.  Is there any evidence that cell reproduction is anything but extremely complex?  Not a bit. 

And let's not forget that a cell cannot form piecemeal - a chaotic mess of molecules must form a living orgaism very quickly, then it must reproduce before it dies (within a few hours).   I wonder how all the cell's internal components manages to get inside a 100%-intact cell wall (since a less-than-100%-intact cell wall spells death). 
There are of course many other functions that a cell must perform in order to survive.  Which one of them is simple? 

A "simple cell" is as oxymoronic as a "simple computer" - no such thing exists or could ever exist - except as a fantasy in self-deluded minds of atheists.

Bad Penny II

Ah Dredge difficult questions,
such conundrums to be sure.
But tell do, have you any pets?
Who was you're favourite pet?

Dave

Quote from: Dredge on January 04, 2017, 08:38:26 AM
I'd be interested in seeing the math from which you derived this conclusion.  Please enlighten us with your probability model for the origin of life. However, I detect the presence of an argument from personal incredulity so I won't get my hopes up.

An unobserved (past or future) event can reasonably be declared impossible without calculating the mathematical probability of that event.   The mathematical probability of some unobserved events, be they deemed possible or impossible, cannot ever be calculated. 
Furthermore, even if the probability of an unobserved event can be calculated, we still may have no way of knowing if is possible or impossible (for example, if the probability of a certain event is calculated to be one in a trillion-trillion, is the event possible or impossible?)

It is reasonable to declare it impossible for my house to be struck by a brick-size meteorite every day for a year, even though the mathematical probability of such an event occurring cannot be calculated.

It is reasonable to declare it impossible that the action of waves crashing onto the sea shore will ever arrange sea shells on that shore to read out my full name, address, age, occupation, home and email addresses, phone number and bank account details, even though the mathematical probability of such an event occurring cannot be calculated.

It is reasonable to declare it is impossible for a forest to ever build a log cabin, even though the mathematical probability of such an event cannot be calculated.

It is reasonable to declare it impossible for baboons to ever build a space craft and fly it to the moon and back, even though the mathematical probability of such an event cannot be calculated.

It is reasonable to declare it impossible for dead matter to ever arrange itself into a self-replicating, living machine within a few hours (ie, before it dies), even though the mathematical probability of such an event cannot be calculated.

Sophistry
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Gloucester on January 04, 2017, 01:16:00 PM
Quote from: Dredge on January 04, 2017, 08:38:26 AM

An unobserved (past or future) event can reasonably be declared impossible without calculating the mathematical probability of that event.   The mathematical probability of some unobserved events, be they deemed possible or impossible, cannot ever be calculated. 

Sophism.

Stop throwing the isms around.
I want to know what he likes for lunch.