News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

I Hate Rap

Started by Kekerusey, September 26, 2016, 01:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pasta Chick

I haven't seen that mods have been on much to catch things lately, so I asssume it relies heavily on reports currently. I generally don't report much either, and Keke did kinda self ban anyway?

The stuff that really gets me isn't really mod-able anyway. It's the same daily drudgery... you say "um hey, sorta extremely racist/sexist" and then a bunch of white men swoop in to tell you you're probably wrong and they need to discuss this objectively.

And then act surprised when atheism is referred to a white man's club.

There's enough of that shit in my daily life. I don't need it in my downtime too.

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on October 06, 2016, 06:23:25 PM
Not every person who hates rap and makes dismissive comments about it is racist. Just saying.
Oh, how wonderful! We're back to square one.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Pasta Chick on October 06, 2016, 06:26:30 PM
I haven't seen that mods have been on much to catch things lately, so I asssume it relies heavily on reports currently. I generally don't report much either, and Keke did kinda self ban anyway?

The stuff that really gets me isn't really mod-able anyway. It's the same daily drudgery... you say "um hey, sorta extremely racist/sexist" and then a bunch of white men swoop in to tell you you're probably wrong and they need to discuss this objectively.

And then act surprised when atheism is referred to a white man's club.

There's enough of that shit in my daily life. I don't need it in my downtime too.

I really, really want to leave this place, but there's are a few of you that I just can't seem to leave. I would miss you guys terribly.  :'( I don't know what to do. It just breaks my heart, (my heart, not the kind Keke has.)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Not every person who hates rap and makes dismissive comments about it is racist. Just saying.
"Just saying." Sure, you're just saying a meaningless sentence that addressed none of the arguments presented for no reason...

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

Kekerusey has no excuse for his behavior in this thread, and has received a one month suspension.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Quote from: Davin on October 06, 2016, 06:37:24 PM
"Just saying." Sure, you're just saying a meaningless sentence that addressed none of the arguments presented for no reason...

The memes you posted essentially called Kekerusey a racist. Can you cite anything he's posted in this thread or elsewhere that supports that?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

I'm sorry for interrupting, but if you have to ask that, then you don't get it, do you? You know, how racist people masquerade words?... then deny they said that, when it's extremely obvious to those of us who have to deal with that shit, always. That passive aggressive shit they do.

If I were Davin, I would answer the same way Keke answered me when I asked him to do something for me:
"Why the hell should I?

You want someone at your beck and call? Go find yourself a cabana boy."

Davin

Quote from: Recusant on October 06, 2016, 07:28:24 PM

The memes you posted essentially called Kekerusey a racist.
Did they? I don't share your conclusion. I think they make fun of the "some of my best friends are black," type of statement.

Quote from: Kekerusey on October 05, 2016, 08:24:12 PMI would post the same comment anywhere on the net and I would say it straight to any of my black friends.

Quote from: RecusantCan you cite anything he's posted in this thread or elsewhere that supports that?
Is there anything that supports your assumptions? Shouldn't that be on you?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Pasta Chick

Literally half this topic is about why shit like starting "I hate rap" threads is subtly racist.

Davin

Quote from: Magdalena on October 06, 2016, 07:58:53 PM
If I were Davin, I would answer the same way Keke answered me when I asked him to do something for me:
"Why the hell should I?

I don't think it would be fair to treat him a certain way due to the actions of another person. As for the rest, it is tough for a lot of people to see things that only show clearly in aggregate. That's what makes social issues so tough to talk about, because so few social issues (especially now that outright racism is and sexism are seen to be unseemly so most who are racist and/or sexist tend to veil it), are blatant, easy to cite things.

I mean, was it racist to ask a president to release his birth certificate publicly? I mean, if that were all it were, I would let it slide. But it came from a mostly white political party, with mostly white government representatives, and against the first black president. And it's the first time it has ever happened to an American President. They didn't pull that shit with any other democratic president, just Obama. So is that clearly racism? I don't think it's 100% conclusive, but there is enough there for me to accept it with as much certainty as I do scientific conclusions.

No one

I am not sure how me not liking rap means I dislike people with dark skin? I hate rap because it sucks! It is not music, it is extremely poorly choreographed noise! I would tell anyone that to their face. I would say it in a room full of rappers, to snoppy the rappers face. I don't give a shit who you are! I have hated rap since it was introduced. I will continue to hate it until the day I die. There isn't anyone who will ever convince me otherwise. People have been trying to get me to listen to the "good stuff" for years. But, it doesn't exist. Now as my hatred for people, it's the same. I hate people because the suck! I hate all of them. I don't care what patch of Earth you call home. I don't care what god you believe, or don't believe in! I don't care how much money you have! I don't care what sex you are, or what sex you are attracted to! People suck! All. of. Them!

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on October 06, 2016, 08:51:02 PM
"Why the hell should I?

I don't think it would be fair to treat him a certain way due to the actions of another person...
You are right, but if he has to ask that, it gives me the impression that he hasn't read the whole thing, doesn't understand it, or doesn't see it. I used it as an example of the passive aggressive way Keke responded. Like Pasta Chick said, "Literally half this topic is about why shit like starting "I hate rap" threads is subtly racist." And Recusant still wants you to provide proof? We have how many pages of "subtleness" so far?

This topic has made me cry, and I'm beginning to feel irritated and frustrated by it. I'm about to bust out some rap lyrics!

~I need a break. I don't like to disrespect people. I have always been very careful about that, right now, I feel like biting anything that gets near me.

~I'm sorry, Recusant.

Recusant

Quote from: Davin on October 06, 2016, 08:08:56 PM
Quote from: Recusant on October 06, 2016, 07:28:24 PM

The memes you posted essentially called Kekerusey a racist.
Did they? I don't share your conclusion. I think they make fun of the "some of my best friends are black," type of statement.

Quote from: Kekerusey on October 05, 2016, 08:24:12 PMI would post the same comment anywhere on the net and I would say it straight to any of my black friends.

I had hoped to be proved wrong about this. Even though you posted directly after Kekerusey, and he had every reason to believe that your post is directed at him, and is calling him out as a racist, you're going with the "who, me?" feigned innocence ploy, rather than even attempting to support your mud-throwing memes with anything substantial.

I think that if you were able to support your not-so-subtle accusation of racism, you'd have been quick to cite it. The fact that you haven't speaks directly to the validity of the accusation.

Quote from: Davin on October 06, 2016, 08:08:56 PM
Quote from: RecusantCan you cite anything he's posted in this thread or elsewhere that supports that?
Is there anything that supports your assumptions? Shouldn't that be on you?

My "assumption" is that you directed those memes at Kekerusey. Are you telling me that they just happened to get posted directly after his post, and have nothing to do with him? Are you telling me that they do not strongly imply that Kekerusey is a racist?
— H. L. Mencken

Davin

Quote from: No one on October 06, 2016, 09:06:00 PM
I am not sure how me not liking rap means I dislike people with dark skin?
It doesn't in itself. Many have said that already. You can dislike rap, even hate it, and not be a racist.

Recusant

Quote from: Magdalena on October 06, 2016, 09:06:41 PM
Quote from: Davin on October 06, 2016, 08:51:02 PM
"Why the hell should I?

I don't think it would be fair to treat him a certain way due to the actions of another person...
You are right, but if he has to ask that, it gives me the impression that he hasn't read the whole thing, doesn't understand it, or doesn't see it. I used it as an example of the passive aggressive way Keke responded. Like Pasta Chick said, "Literally half this topic is about why shit like starting "I hate rap" threads is subtly racist." And Recusant still wants you to provide proof? We have how many pages of "subtleness" so far?

This topic has made me cry, and I'm beginning to feel irritated and frustrated by it. I'm about to bust out some rap lyrics!

~I need a break. I don't like to disrespect people. I have always been very careful about that, right now, I feel like biting anything that gets near me.

~I'm sorry, Recusant.

I'd been following this thread since the OP, but admit I hadn't read every single post when I was alerted to the bullshit from Kekerusey this morning. I do have other things going on in my life, believe it or not, and I went out and did them.

On returning this afternoon, I (re)read the whole thread. My statements and the moderation action I took are based on that.

I don't buy the crap about "if you have to ask, you don't understand." A person can dislike rap, and make a public statement to that effect, but that does not make them a racist. Assuming otherwise is remarkably like the blindly judgmental behavior of racists themselves. I do not condone making assumptions about people based on broad-brush inference.

"She's blonde and has a southern accent, so she's a dummy."

"He's young and black and has interacted with the police, so he's a thug."

"He hates rap music and wants to tell other people about it, so he's a racist."

None of those three statements will get a nod from me.

— H. L. Mencken