News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

I Hate Rap

Started by Kekerusey, September 26, 2016, 01:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Like Pasta Chick mentioned earlier, this is not the first time, and probably won't be the last time we'll hear someone say, "I hate rap." But is it the music they hate or the artists? And "hate?" That's such a strong word. Hate means unable to bear/stand, to find intolerable. Hate causes rage and violence even death.

I found this article, I think it explains a lot of what I'm trying to say, but can't  :-\ because I am not a 35 year-old black woman with a Masters degree in Multicultural Counseling like the author of this article is. She has the ability to say things better than I can.
How To Stop Being Racist #20: Stop Saying You Hate Rap Music

Someone who says "I hate all music except rap and country" is less likely to get the side eye from me, because we all know that while black people make rap, white people make country. So they probably just hate the different sounds associated with the different musics.

But when someone says,

"I hate rap...Just rap...Rap really annoys me for some reason I just haven't been able to put my finger on yet."

What I hear is:

I hate young, urban black males and all that they stand for. It is not acceptable for me to say I hate young
black urban males and all that they stand for, but is IS acceptable for me to say I hate rap, so...I hate rap.

I'm not saying this is a conscious thought on the part of these people, or that it is even accurate. It's just my perception. Also, I realize it is a bit unfair to associate things with peoples' unconscious minds, since that is not something that can be proven or disproven in a court of law or a labratory. But don't blame me, blame Freud. Personally, I think he's onto something. And if you're white getting mad, I think this rule applies to people of color too--just put internalized in front of the word racist.

Very interesting...  :chin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on October 03, 2016, 04:55:23 PM
That got kind of intense.
I know...and this is only the beginning.  :worried:
We started with rap, then it went to police brutality, hating hoes in different area codes, rednecks, "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" and the "ideal black friend," etc, etc, etc!

So it looks as if rap and many other things are connected.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Asmodean

Quote from: Pasta Chick on October 03, 2016, 01:56:54 PM
Both use of "all/everything" and "femanazis" are red herrings. Nothing to do with the discussion at hand, and "femanazis" as a concept were made up by people supporting the status quo.
Yes, well... I do use the term selectively to describe those feminists, some of whose very loud and public ideas I find ridiculous and tiresome to have to answer again and again. Thus, my use of the term is akin to that of "crackpot" or "fundie." I do not apply it to people who promote equality in the eyes of the law rather than, say, try to get me to conform to some bullshit "wouldn't it be nice if..." social "norm."

As to the rest, I'll put it this way...

I want a black friend that's quiet and knows his place. He should be happy to hang out and clean up whenever he's around my place. I want him to call my BF "sir" and avert his gaze whenever either of us enter the room, and not speak unless spoken to. He should be happy and humble about his lot in life but also clean up well for show when in public or when other company is over. I'm not racist, these are just qualities I value in my black friends.
I'm not from the US, so slavery, which I assume is what you are ever-so-subtly referring to, is not a sensitive issue to me. With nothing read between the lines though, that description is pretty mild on racism scale (however astronomical heights it may reach on the asshole scale), although one would imagine it might be percieved otherwise simply because you made a generalised distinction based on skin color at all.

How is that diffrerent from "my hoe is a gardening tool?" Well, them square brackets from earlier...
Quote from: The AsmoWhen it comes to objectifying [often specific, and I do stand by that particular point's importance] women...

...Still accepting hate mail. HAF is way too civilized for the real world in which we live, is what it is.  :(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

Quote from: Magdalena on October 03, 2016, 05:00:31 PM
And "hate?" That's such a strong word. Hate means unable to bear/stand, to find intolerable. Hate causes rage and violence even death.
Also, this. This deserves its own QFT-reply. If you actually hate rap, that ought to be a different emotion entirely from, say, a six year old's "hatred" of broccoli.

Oh, and me, I generally dislike Country, because fuck them white people and their red necks. Well, no, just not pleasing to my ears. There is a song or two which do work for me, but I think in the Country vs. Rap question, my favourite song would go to the latter. It's Ballin' by Snoop Dogg and The Dramatics... It's smooth, but not exactly representative of the genre.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on October 03, 2016, 05:44:03 PM
Oh, and me, I generally dislike Country, because fuck them white people and their red necks. Well, no, just not pleasing to my ears. There is a song or two which do work for me, but I think in the Country vs. Rap question, my favourite song would go to the latter.
Asmo... :smileshake:
Quote from: Asmodean on October 03, 2016, 05:37:37 PM
...Still accepting hate mail. HAF is way too civilized for the real world in which we live, is what it is.  :(
Maybe this time you'll get something in the mail.

:secrets1: ...But I doubt it. 

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on October 03, 2016, 05:44:03 PM
It's Ballin' by Snoop Dogg and The Dramatics... It's smooth, but not exactly representative of the genre.
Ballin' by Snoop Dogg and The Dramatics
:notes:
:dance1:
- Im Fly by Snoop Dogg Feat Nate Dogg, Warren G

Davin

Quote from: Magdalena on October 03, 2016, 05:02:42 PM
Quote from: Davin on October 03, 2016, 04:55:23 PM
That got kind of intense.
I know...and this is only the beginning.  :worried:
We started with rap, then it went to police brutality, hating hoes in different area codes, rednecks, "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" and the "ideal black friend," etc, etc, etc!

So it looks as if rap and many other things are connected.
Conversations like this tend to go to many places. I found the "bleating by lesser mammals" bit particularly disturbing. And I agree with the point of hating a one genre of music for having some artists do a thing, but no hate on all the other genres that have artists who do the same thing.

I think it's perfectly fine and reasonable for a person to not like a genre, but I don't understand hating a genre. But I can also understand the colloquial usage of "hate," but I hear people hating on rap so much that I'm not sure that there are a lot that actually hate it. And it's kind of clear that there is hate when a person goes so far as to call those who perform rap to be "lesser mammals."
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

Quote from: Asmodean on October 03, 2016, 05:37:37 PM
Quote from: The AsmoWhen it comes to objectifying [often specific, and I do stand by that particular point's importance] women...

I don't have any hate. I think it's fine to do a little bit objectifying, it happens on both sides from time to time. Finding people attractive or not is not something that can be controlled. What can be controlled is how we treat other people, but that is another topic. What I mean is, that I would be fine with an objective song every now and then, I find my GF attractive and while I appreciate her for many things, that is one... if only there were a song appreciating her putting up with my terrible jokes all the time...

My complaint about the objectifying, most of time they are objectifying and belittling. While I'm not a feminazi, I do tend to find condescending and objectifying lyrics in many popular songs. So what I really have a problem with, is the dehumanizing of women, not that there are songs about women being attractive. Yeah, dehumanizing is a better word for it. And if it were a song her and there, I wouldn't have a problem. I think it's a lot like chemicals, in that all chemicals are safe in the right amounts, but that our airwaves are filled with large amounts of reducing women to sexual objects. Which I think it bad for the environment.

A lot of this stuff is like running on a broken foot. The broken foot being how women are treated in total by society. You get some guys saying, it's healthy to run while ignoring that the foot is broken. And many feminists are saying, let's let the foot heal because running on a broken foot doesn't help.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Kekerusey

Interesting but I still pretty much hate modern day rap (by which I refer to the more commercial types as I believe I said earlier), there are exceptions and I don't agree that "hate" is too strong a word. If I were prepared to listen to more maybe my mind would change but, in general terms I'm not. I do not believe that liking/disliking (even loving/hating) one particular genre of music says little about anyone except that they love or hate that partricular genre.

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Siz

Quote from: DavinI don't have any hate. I think it's fine to do a little bit objectifying, it happens on both sides from time to time. Finding people attractive or not is not something that can be controlled. What can be controlled is how we treat other people, but that is another topic. What I mean is, that I would be fine with an objective song every now and then, I find my GF attractive and while I appreciate her for many things, that is one... if only there were a song appreciating her putting up with my terrible jokes all the time...

You do jokes??!?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Davin

Quote from: Siz on October 03, 2016, 08:25:51 PM
Quote from: DavinI don't have any hate. I think it's fine to do a little bit objectifying, it happens on both sides from time to time. Finding people attractive or not is not something that can be controlled. What can be controlled is how we treat other people, but that is another topic. What I mean is, that I would be fine with an objective song every now and then, I find my GF attractive and while I appreciate her for many things, that is one... if only there were a song appreciating her putting up with my terrible jokes all the time...

You do jokes??!?
Almost all the time. Some are successful.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on October 03, 2016, 07:25:00 PM
Conversations like this tend to go to many places. I found the "bleating by lesser mammals" bit particularly disturbing.

Yes. I'm still waiting for an answer from Icarus, so I will not talk about it, yet. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what he meant by that. I even did the whole "Kanye West fish stick diagram."  :lol:
I'll just wait.  If he doesn't want to answer that's fine.

Magdalena

Quote from: Kekerusey on October 03, 2016, 08:22:10 PM
Interesting but I still pretty much hate modern day rap (by which I refer to the more commercial types as I believe I said earlier), there are exceptions and I don't agree that "hate" is too strong a word. If I were prepared to listen to more maybe my mind would change but, in general terms I'm not. I do not believe that liking/disliking (even loving/hating) one particular genre of music says little about anyone except that they love or hate that partricular genre.

Keke

How much hate are we talking about? Is it hate like the terrorists hate this side of the world? Or hate like when people say, "I hate, hate, hate, English Breakfast tea, Scottish Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, scones, devonshire cream/Clotted cream/Cornish cream/lemon curd, strawberry jam, cucumber tea sandwiches, and pastries? --Oh, and no disrespect to the British."

:sad sigh:

It doesn't matter, really. It's just a dumb question. I wish you the best in all your hate. May you live long, stew in it for as long as you can, and prosper in it.

:spock:

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on October 03, 2016, 09:03:34 PM
Quote from: Siz on October 03, 2016, 08:25:51 PM

You do jokes??!?
Almost all the time. Some are successful.

This one was.  :lol:

Icarus

Quote from: Magdalena on October 03, 2016, 10:11:58 PM
Quote from: Davin on October 03, 2016, 07:25:00 PM
Conversations like this tend to go to many places. I found the "bleating by lesser mammals" bit particularly disturbing.

Yes. I'm still waiting for an answer from Icarus, so I will not talk about it, yet. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what he meant by that. I even did the whole "Kanye West fish stick diagram."  :lol:
I'll just wait.  If he doesn't want to answer that's fine.

Mags I used the term; "lesser mammals" in a fit of irritation. Here's why....I am not pleased when I drive down the boulevard, a generally acknowledged civilized area, and have to listen to ....or be exposed to the high decibel sound systems in certain cars. Specifically the ones that are doing rap that includes the apparent obligatory use of words like motherfucker and bitch, slut, whore, and motherfucker again and again.  I don't like that such stuff is inflicted on the general public and especially little girls who are made of sugar and spice and everything nice. 

I am anything but a goodie two shoes. In fact I can and occasionally not publicly, do  use profanity equal to the worst of it. That I am opposed to, and vociferously condemn that kind of "rap music" is not something that I am inclined to apologize for. Lesser mammals is a descriptive term that fits the semi humans that I describe.

And just wait a damned minute.  In the above I have not once assigned a racist suggestion so do not get all stirred up about your own sensitivities by misinterpreting what I have written..  Dumb honky ass holes are just as culpable as the darker skinned assholes. I make no distinction.