News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Strictly Speaking ...

Started by Kekerusey, September 25, 2016, 09:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kekerusey

OK,

So a modification (and possible exception) to my earlier statement that all reality TV is inherently cr** ... Strictly Come Dancing.

Hard to explain why I quite like it, I hated it to begin with because of the fake music, the similar format to shows like "X Factor" and so on but a few years back I agreed to watch it with my wife.

My wife and I have very different ideas of what is good in terms of TV and film ... I love science fiction, thrillers and other stuff. I collect an awful lot of DVDs and (these days) blurays, so much so that a couple of people have nicknamed me "blockbusters". I'm not a fan of horror for horror's sake, doesn't scare me, just doesn't interest me but I have no objection to blood and gore in support of a decent story. I have a similar attitude towards big effects films i.e. big FX are great for realising a story but can never pass as a replacement for a decent story ("Skyline" anyone? Brilliant effects, utterly shyte story). I even love a decent romcom but I hate reality TV and soaps. My wife likes British dramas as well as EastEnders and other soap-like dramas (Holby, Casualty and similar) but doesn't really have the patience for films. Our differences can be summed up in the simple observation that I love the TV series "Game of Thrones" as well as other classics such "Buffy The Vampire Slayer", "Babylon 5", "Firefly", "24" and "Dexter" and she... well ... doesn't. So we have to find stuff we will watch together, usually American shows like "ER", "Grey's Anatomy", "Desperate Housewives" and the odd British or UK-centric dramas such as "Cold Feet" and "Lucky Jim". Suffice to say, my idea of a good evening at home would be good company, a decent film and a bottle of wine).

But Strictly ... yeah, I've grown to like it. Some reasons should be obvious (I'm a man, go figure) but primarily because it's good natured, predictable, funny and a bit of a spectacle.

Anyone else watch it and if so who's your favourite this year (at this point I haven't finished watching last night's episode)?

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Pasta Chick

My mom was very into the American version (Dancing With the Stars) for a long time. It was a fun show... Seemed very real, I suppose, as opposed to just staged crap with meanness for the sake of meanness like everything Simon Cowell has ever touched.

Not sure it's even on the air anymore tho. The joke years ago was that it turned into "Dancing With the D-listers" because they just couldn't get anyone on.

Tank

SCD addict here :)

Going to be a cracking year. Daisy, Danny, little Claudia, Ore (I said he'd make the last 4 before I even saw who else would be in the show), Luise, Robert 'Judge' Rinder, Greg, Will and Laura are all going to Blackpool!

This. Just this!!!

Here is a link to this years competitors http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/37010676
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Kekerusey

Yeah ... based on the weekend's episodes it looks like they have has a very good celebrity lineup.

Danny Mac (my daughter tells me he is or was in "Hollyoaks") was excellent and it didn't harm him that the band did a version of DNCE's "Cake by the Ocean" which is one of those songs I got to like because of said daughter. To my mind the best dancers so far are Daisy Lowe, Louise Redknapp and Danny Mac but my favourites are Rob Rinder and Ms. Lowe.

Keke

Tank

I'm looking forward to the bitch fest when Craig takes the 'Judge' to task  ;D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

I noticed they did the clean version of Cake by the Ocean, not surprising really and they upped the beat a little which can't have helped the singers who did a very good job. They also did a very good Bowie on Red Shoes.

Tank

If you watch the video without sound and watch their feet they never miss a beat together. Quite astonishing. He's better than Jay last year. If he can do ballroom, they've got the Viennese waltz next week, Daisy is going to have a serious job on her hands to win. Although at this point I'd think they'll both make the top 4.

Kekerusey

Quote from: Tank on September 26, 2016, 12:53:09 PMI noticed they did the clean version of Cake by the Ocean, not surprising really and they upped the beat a little which can't have helped the singers who did a very good job. They also did a very good Bowie on Red Shoes.

Yeah I noticed that.

As for DNCE, not a bad video ...

Keke

Tank

I hadn't noticed but if one says Keke in a very very posh accent it sounds like Cake!  ;D

Kekerusey

Quote from: Tank on September 26, 2016, 07:08:48 PMI hadn't noticed but if one says Keke in a very very posh accent it sounds like Cake!

I hadn't either :)

Keke (about 5 miles from the English Channel ... I suppose it's really the Medway estuary).

Kekerusey

Strictly will often surprise you but, even though he showed considerable improvement, my money's on Ed Balls being the first to leave.

Keke

Tank

If you find out who leaves please don't post it here until after the 'Sunday' night programme, or put it behind a spoiler.

Ed or Lesley should go but I think Naga is in the mix as well. She's a little cold and characterless. Melvin Odoom is not well liked either. We'll have to see.

Kekerusey

Quote from: Tank on October 02, 2016, 05:10:46 PMIf you find out who leaves please don't post it here until after the 'Sunday' night programme, or put it behind a spoiler.

Good advice anyway so yeah, though I don't have any special information sources ... I only find out when everyone else does, probs later since we often record then watch.

Quote from: Tank on October 02, 2016, 05:10:46 PMEd or Lesley should go but I think Naga is in the mix as well. She's a little cold and characterless. Melvin Odoom is not well liked either. We'll have to see.

Yeah, a lot of the time it seems to be more about personality than skill which is a shame. I don't often vote because I tend to watch later ... didn't finish last night's until about half hour after the voting had closed (and I would only vote online if I did).

Keke

Tank

I inhabit a secret SCD group on fb. Invite only. And if somebody post spoilers the admins delete them :)

Kekerusey

Quote from: Tank on October 02, 2016, 07:06:33 PMI inhabit a secret SCD group on fb. Invite only. And if somebody post spoilers the admins delete them :)

I make a habit of getting kicked out of groups :)

Interesting result tonight though ... controversial for the surviving celeb (potentially more so in today's somewhat vicious world of social networking).

Keke