News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Capital Cities: Personal Opinions

Started by Lark, September 18, 2016, 11:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lark

My capital is London and I think it a beautiful city full of historical interest and green parks while keeping up with the times. At the heart of it is the River Thames  and the spectacular walk along the South Bank. Great views can be seen of Westminster while listening to Big Ben and glancing down river to see St Paul's, the Gherkin and other memorable sights. Continuing towards Southwark there is  Shakespeare's Globe and the Tate Modern to whet  the artistic appetite.  For those  preferring earlier art, take a river boat direct to the Tate Britain further up and on the opposite side of the river.

Crossing the river there are the Law Courts and wandering into the smaller streets not far away the church of the Knights Templar and Dr Johnson's house may be found. A bit away from the river are well known places such as Downing St [Prime  Minister's residence] and Buckingham Palace [the Queen's London home] and plenty of Parks.

Of course there are large, specific areas devoted to a particular activity such as business, shopping, museums, theatres, wild life. music  etc etc,  This is not meant to be a Travel Guide, just a note to back up my opinion that London is a beautiful city. Other people's opinions may differ; they are welcome to them.

I would be interested in hearing from other people about their capital city, or any other big cities in their country.

xSilverPhinx

I don't live there anymore, but I'm originally from Brasília, which is the capital city of Brazil. Being a planned city, built 60 years ago, I think it's beautiful and orderly. Original, modern and innovative, it's listed in UNESCO's World Heritage site. 

Satellite view:

Aerial view:

My favourite bridge in the world (Juscelino Kubitschek Bridge):

The Metropolitan Cathedral:

The Alvorada ("dawn") Palace (the president's official residence):

The National Congress:

The Planalto ("highland") Palace:

The National Museum:

A funny-looking shopping mall where I would frequently go watch a movie instead of going to class (no chance of my parents going there):

The Itamaraty (Ministry of Foreign Relations), where my father works:

Palace of (miscarried) justice:

National Theatre:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Those are marvelous pictures of marvelous creations xSP.  I can see why the bridge is your favorite. It is prime example of imaginative engineering.

Lark

Quote from: Icarus on September 19, 2016, 03:08:58 AM
Those are marvelous pictures of marvelous creations xSP.  I can see why the bridge is your favorite. It is prime example of imaginative engineering.

That was really interesting  and Brasilia  looks a marvellous  and unusual Place,  If it did not exist until 60 years ago I wonder how it  became so big  and what persuaded people to move there in such large  numbers. All  followed good  jobs ?
What came first, the people or the culture, education etc ?  I would love to see it.

xSilverPhinx

Well, Brasília isn't exactly a touristy place, it's actually pretty small and there isn't much to do there besides look at the architecture. It's possibly the most expensive city to visit too. Everything there is so damn expensive, which makes sense because it's the city with the highest per capita income in all of Brazil. Many still go there believing that they'll make it big, and perhaps because of this it's also the land of illusion and delusion, currently living in a bubble that's bound to burst sometime, if it hasn't already. 

Ironically, despite being designed by an outspoken communist, it's possibly one of the worst cities to live in if you're poor. Public transportation is worse compared to less artificial cities and everything is absurdly priced. While you could rent a small apartment for X bucks in another city, there you would probably be able to rent...a toilet for the same amount.  ::)

I think for most people that migrate to the capital it's the prospect of jobs. Till this day many come from the poorest regions of Brazil (the northeastern and northern regions, especially) and the surrounding central-western region, thinking that Brasília is the land of opportunity. If it was once it no longer is for the hordes of people that come from these regions. They are then marginalised, left to populate poorer 'satellite cities', some of which were founded to house construction workers at the time of the capital's building.

These people invade public lands and basically create slums:

Itapoã, on the outskirts of the satellite city Paranoá.

I saw this particular invasion take place when I was living there, about 12 years ago. It was very interesting, to say the least.

Violence is a major problem. Proportionally, when compared to much larger cities such as São Paulo (one of the largest cities in the world) and Rio de Janeiro, Brasília has much higher homicide and domestic violence rates. One problem affecting middle-class youth are gangs, each block seems to have one. Persoanl identity among the youth is associated more with urban "tribes" than in other cities, and people of different tribes don't necessarily mix that well with each other. 

On another note, Brasília's culture is interesting because it took a mix of all local cultures around Brazil and made it its own. There are people from all corners living there, different ways of speaking and different types of food, all meshed together in one place. While I most probably wouldn't choose to live there again, it's my city and I'm proud of it.  8) 

Lark

Hello, xSilverPhinx -

Fascinating and so  interesting.  I am not so  keen  on going now   but still think  your  city  looks  amazing.

Magdalena

xSilverPhinx, MariaEvri, those are nice pictures.

This one is nice and different:  :notsure:

This one is also nice, it reminds me of a rack of lamb:  :grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

Nicosia no!! Your city Maria, is stunning.

xSilverPhinx

MariaEvri

Quote from: Magdalena on September 30, 2016, 02:10:36 PM
xSilverPhinx, MariaEvri, those are nice pictures.

This one is nice and different:  :notsure:

This one is also nice, it reminds me of a rack of lamb:  :grin:

Good thing we dont have it here. It'd make me hungry all the time
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant