News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Multi-Association Thread

Started by Kekerusey, August 25, 2016, 10:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Yikes! i did not know about the risk from coon poop. 

Today the Banana parts were gone but there was no sign of the cute little masked one.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on April 06, 2021, 01:32:07 AM
Yikes! i did not know about the risk from coon poop. 

Today the Banana parts were gone but there was no sign of the cute little masked one.

Well, they do potentially have the parasite. It's quite common. Just something to be aware of.

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

My racoon ( I use the posessive here) is a most friendly little guy.  Racoons are mostly nocturnal beasties but this one is entirely active throughout the day.  He/she has not yet offered to become a pet but it does not withdraw from close proximity to humans....like me.   The little guy does not seem disturbed or frightful when we encounter each other within a few feet.  Neither have I threatened him with a broom or other tool of dispatch. 

Of the five neighbors, two have an in ground pool. We will see if the little guy finds a way to poop in their pools.  My research  into the Raccon world is that they are hell bent to swim in the pool and do their business there. Other advice is that if you have gold fish or Coi in your pond, they will be gone by morning.  Not a problem because i have no fish pond,.  I do have bird feeder that seems to become empty of sunflower seeds faster than it has in the past

I am being cautious but I am also beginning to like the little guy.

Dark Lightning

If the eggs are in the raccoons feces in the pool, the chlorine will not kill them. Even bleach won't. One can inhale or swallow the eggs. I have no intention of ever interfacing in any friendly fashion with a raccoon. They get their territory, I get mine.

"The parasite invades the lungs, liver, heart, eyes, and brain and sparks serious inflammation throughout the body. While some people make a full recovery, the infection can leave others blind, in a coma, or with permanent brain damage. It's sometimes fatal."

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/raccoon-roundworm

Icarus

Thank you DL.  I wlll be wary of the the little masked bandit.  It seems that we have some odd Florida wild life regulations.  The trapper that was contacted explained the the law required him to euthanise any racoon or opossum that he trapped. I have not verified that claim.  I will contact the Florida Wildlife department to learn more.

I do not have dogs anymore. If I still had Teddy, the Bernese mountain dog, the presence of the racoon would have been most improbable.  Teddy was also a vigilant snake killer.  We have some harmless Blacksnakes around the yard that I leave alone.  They are not dangerous. One of Gods creatures it is said.  Teddy, evidently not a bible reader, thought it his role to destroy them, which he did with skill and certainty. Teddy has gone to the rainbow bridge and I am sad that he is not here to be the best friend and the loyal protector that he was.

Dark Lightning

We have two dogs, but they aren't interested in other wildlife, except for rats, in the case of the beagle/dachshund mix. I walk the spaniel in the mornings, and she isn't interested in crows (they are everywhere!), or cats or squirrels. She looks at them on our walks, and that's about it. If she sees other dogs, or working people (gardeners, roofers) she does get worked up and usually barks or at least growls. I'm trying to train her out of that, but we got her at the age of four, so there is a lot of water under the bridge. It's a big change from our little Maltese and Chihuahua, who were all over that rodent and bird stuff. Except for the one Maltese, who was friends with every being. She'd be laying outside sunning herself, and birds would hop all around her without fear. She had been observed touching noses with lizards, if you can believe that. The other two were all over those lizards, with ill intent. I still miss that dog. She was the sweetest dog of ever.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bad Penny II

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore
When the world seems to shine like
You've had too much wine, that's amore

NO no no no NO!

Bells will ring ting-a-ling-a-ling

NO!

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken