News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

DNC

Started by Mr. B, July 29, 2016, 03:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. B

I am looking forward to herstory being made tonight.

Although, I don't think it's as important to make history as it is to make good decisions. Still feeling the Bern.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Mr. B

Is that Morgan Freakin Freeman narrating her biography video?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Ecurb Noselrub

Yes, that's Morgan.  Hillary will be the next President.  We Americans are not quite stupid enough yet to elect that carnival barker Trump.

Mr. B

This is definitely the best speech I have ever heard her give. My fear is that it's all just campaign hubris. My hope is that if she is the next president she will at least try to do some of the things she is promising to do. 

Mr. B

I was hoping that she wouldn't even mention Trump by name.

Oh well.

Mr. B

Oh god...she is making this about him now.

IT'S NOT ABOUT HIM!

Leave that shit to the superpacs.

Mr. B

Wow...she just connected gun violence with racism. That's a little fucked up.

joeactor

Overall, the DNC was a resounding success compared to the debacle of the RNC.

You can see the sheer amount of planning, coordination and resources they have put into it.

It's like comparing a Broadway production of "Hamilton" to a kindergarten nativity play where a fight breaks out.

Here's an interesting summation of tweets by conservatives:
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/conservatives-agree-dnc-was-disaster-for-gop

Recusant

The more die-hard Republicans are focussing on the Bernie supporters' protests and statements made by some of them that they're going to abandon the Democratic party. These are legitimate issues, but they don't outweigh the generally positive and optimistic tone of the convention, which was apparent to anybody who paid any attention to it.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

I thought that Hillary did a fair but not spectacular job with her speech. She spent too much time damning Trump and not enough emphasis on the unity that had been stressed by the other speakers. She had some hard acts to follow because there were several more brilliant speeches given by others over the four day span. Among the ones that I thought the most fun was the fire breathing speech from the governor of Michigan, Jennifer Granholm. Not the best of the lot but one that you'd damn sure pay attention to. Elizabeth Warren was good, not spectacular, and Bill did his folksy thing in his speech. Actually I rather liked the speech by Chelsea.

There were some pretty good speakers at the RNC convention but not with the oratorical quality of either of the Obamas. I agree that the choreography of the DNC event blew the RNC program out of the water. If show business is to be the determinant then Hillary is a shoo in. But wait.......There are about 99 days left before the showdown at the voting booths. All kinds of shit can do down between now and then. Not only that but the emotional components from the conventions will have faded to nearly nothing. Because of those factors, all the opinion polls that are currently going on, mean precious little. Bottom line; don't bet the farm on the outcome. 

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Icarus on July 30, 2016, 12:42:48 AM
I thought that Hillary did a fair but not spectacular job with her speech. She spent too much time damning Trump and not enough emphasis on the unity that had been stressed by the other speakers.

I rolled my eyes at the constant harping on Trump instead of concentrating on how much of a progressive agenda they're going to push, but I suppose they feel that Trump is the giant gorilla in the room -- they can't ignore him.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Mr. B

Quote from: Mr. B on July 29, 2016, 04:22:48 AM
Wow...she just connected gun violence with racism. That's a little fucked up.

Okay. Here is what she said that prompted my comment.

QuoteAnd if we're serious about keeping our country safe, we also can't afford to have a President who's in the pocket of the gun lobby.  I'm not here to repeal the 2nd Amendment. I'm not here to take away your guns. I just don't want you to be shot by someone who shouldn't have a gun in the first place.

We should be working with responsible gun owners to pass common-sense reforms and keep guns out of the hands of criminals, terrorists and all others who would do us harm.   

For decades, people have said this issue was too hard to solve and the politics were too hot to touch. But I ask you: how can we just stand by and do nothing? You heard, you saw, family members of people killed by gun violence. You heard, you saw, family members of police officers killed in the line of duty because they were outgunned by criminals. I refuse to believe we can't find common ground here.

We have to heal the divides in our country. Not just on guns. But on race. Immigration. And more. That starts with listening to each other. Hearing each other. Trying, as best we can, to walk in each other's shoes. 

So let's put ourselves in the shoes of young black and Latino men and women who face the effects of systemic racism, and are made to feel like their lives are disposable.

Let's put ourselves in the shoes of police officers, kissing their kids and spouses goodbye every day and heading off to do a dangerous and necessary job. We will reform our criminal justice system from end-to-end, and rebuild trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-hillary-clinton-convention-speech-transcript-20160728-snap-htmlstory.html

Does she really intend to listen to the NRA and defend our constitutional rights? I hope so. I am credulous about which people she will choose to listen to when it comes to our constitutional rights. She said she was glad to lay out her plans but I still didn't hear any policy details.

Thoughts? 

Dave

Mr B

Like I said elsewhere, never believe what a politician says - only what they do.

OK, that's the extreme of it, at this point one can only vote-and-hope. Perhaps Hilary is just baiting for votes, perhaps she means it, no way of knowing short of an ear in the speech writer's office.

When you first mentioned the "link" between guns and race I did wonder, thought you meant that she made a direct link. Now I see it is a progression, two things on the "to-do" list (supposedly). Perhaps she has a streak of reality in there?

Out of a poor selection Hilary still seems the more rational IMO.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Mr. B

This was an interesting thread to re-read. A snap shot of our understaning of things before the shit hit the fan.

Ecurb Noselrub

Ouch. I predicted Hillary would win. How wrong I was. My eyes have been opened to American stupidity.