News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

politics and religion

Started by imaginaryfriendless, July 27, 2016, 06:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: imaginaryfriendless on July 27, 2016, 08:17:10 PM
Hello, Gloucester!
Well...out of the frying pan and into the fire. Once more into the breech, dear friends.

I'm a native Texan. I grew up on our family cattle ranch in extreme west Texas. 240,000 acres of cattle and land that tried to kill you. It was a great way to grow up.

I'm a native Texas, too.  Central Texas for me.  "Extreme West Texas" - Big Bend area?  Close to El Paso?  Or Panhandle??

Recusant

Quote from: Magdalena on July 27, 2016, 11:29:31 PM
Quote from: Recusant on July 27, 2016, 07:48:12 PM
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Ahem. Now that we've got that out of the way, hello and welcome to HAF, imaginaryfriendless:blue smiley:

Question:
What does this mean?  :eyebrow:

It's a movie reference: Donald Sutherland from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." If you've never seen it, an explanation would be a plot spoiler. Also, explaining a joke ruins it, but I guess this one was so lame that there isn't really anything to be ruined.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

imaginaryfriendless

I'm a native Texas, too.  Central Texas for me.  "Extreme West Texas" - Big Bend area?  Close to El Paso?  Or Panhandle??

Way out, by Big Bend Ranch, and the town of Lajitas, in Brewster county...home of Clay Henry III    8)
Jamie

98% of us will die, at some point in our lives.

joeactor

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 28, 2016, 12:16:06 AM
Quote from: joeactor on July 27, 2016, 07:44:23 PM
(I'm even a theist, and still here!)

Seriously, I didn't know that.

Raised Roman Catholic, found my way to "Agnostic Theist" ;-)

imaginaryfriendless

The Donald Sutherland image is a meme. In this instance, imaginaryfriendless has outed himself as a conservative. He talked about the poor reception he got elsewhere. The Sutherland image was an attempt to play off that for humor.  :jaded rimshot:

AAHHHH....I HAVE SEEN IT, many times, although it's been awhile. Makes sense now, and even works, once you dust it off a bit.   ;) ;D
Jamie

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: joeactor on July 28, 2016, 12:28:03 AM

And here I was thinking you were a deist.  :scratch:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

imaginaryfriendless

Wow...I didn't know you could do that. Doesn't the priest lose his set of steak knives or something if a member of the flock departs? I was just a Methodist, it wasn't a big deal, but the big RC...those guys are serious, from what I've seen! I'll bet even a move to agnostic shook up friends and family!
Jamie

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 28, 2016, 12:31:02 AM

And here I was thinking you were a deist.  :scratch:

That's what I thought too!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: imaginaryfriendless on July 28, 2016, 12:25:44 AM

Way out, by Big Bend Ranch, and the town of Lajitas, in Brewster county...home of Clay Henry III    8)

Yeah, I saw him last year.  He's a big goat voted mayor of the town.  I like the restaurant at the resort.  I also like Terlingua. 

For those unfamiliar with Terlingua and Lajitas, the sun does strange things to the residents there.

My wife and I are spending a long weekend in Alpine in September.  We may make it down your way.

Ecurb Noselrub

We are all agnostic, since none of us know for sure.

joeactor

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 28, 2016, 01:15:21 AM

We are all agnostic, since none of us know for sure.

I would tend to agree, but there are a bunch of people who seem awfully sure ;-)

Hmmm... Deist you all say? That's one possibility.

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on July 28, 2016, 12:23:18 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on July 27, 2016, 11:29:31 PM
Quote from: Recusant on July 27, 2016, 07:48:12 PM

Ahem. Now that we've got that out of the way, hello and welcome to HAF, imaginaryfriendless:blue smiley:

Question:
What does this mean?  :eyebrow:

It's a movie reference: Donald Sutherland from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." If you've never seen it, an explanation would be a plot spoiler. Also, explaining a joke ruins it, but I guess this one was so lame that there isn't really anything to be ruined.

That was a great answer, thank you.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

imaginaryfriendless

My wife and I are spending a long weekend in Alpine in September.  We may make it down your way.

I live over east of san Antonio these days, on a much more modest ranch.
I earned my masters degree from Sul Ross in Alpine, awesome town.

Yes, lajitas is...different. that goat has been mayor for...a very long time. Actually they covertly replaced him several times.

The texas desert does very strange things to folks. Ever park and watch the Marfa lights?
Jamie

Tank

Quote from: imaginaryfriendless on July 27, 2016, 06:01:24 PM
..., made a number of interesting new friends,  and was very satisfied with my new peer group.

Then I made some offhand comment that let them know I was a republican conservative.  Within minutes the judgement and hatred and abuse reached epic heights...it was amazing. I told them goodbye and left the forum.

I had never realized atheism was political,  nor had I realized it was predominantly liberal. I just wanted to have conversations without an imaginary friend present...that's it!
Hi IF

In my experience over a few years and forums the majority of atheists that inhabit forums (which may be a self selecting audience and not representative of atheists in totality) are left leaning liberals. But there are plenty that aren't. You can express any opinion you like here. But ideas/opinions are not sacrosanct. But the member is. So "That's a fucking stupid idea." is just inside the line of acceptability while "You're a fucking idiot!" is too far.

Also if you're new to forums it's worth remembering your in a worldwide group and although we share an common language we don't share common values or upbringing. So we can all cause/take unconscious offence. If in doubt count to 10 and clarify what you or your interlocutor meant.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

imaginaryfriendless

Thanks Chris!
I'm new to forums, but honestly, although I have strong opinions, I'm very tolerant of others- believe or not, airline captains have to be fairly accomplished diplomats, as do police officers. That's why the reaction at the other forum caught me so off guard, I had been very respectful of all of the views the others had shared with me, but the instant I went off book...whew! I was going to cut and paste a bit of it here, just to show how quickly and with how little provocation it went south, but I guess after I left they erased all evidence of my existence. I went back as a guest and everything was gone.

I believe liberals have good intentions, in most cases I simply don't think they have the experience necessary to understand the human condition as it applies to much of the world population, particularly that of the...less civilized?..nations, where life is cheaper. Their ideas would often be wonderful, if human nature weren't what it too often is. My comments on the other forum were tamer than this- but they concerned immigration, apparently quite the hot button topic over there.  ::)

Appreciate the welcome, and I look forward to many future arguments.

Cheers!
Jamie