News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

How can ANY moral, rational and kindhearted person justify the bible?

Started by MatureMcLeod, July 18, 2016, 11:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Recusant on July 21, 2016, 04:59:05 AM
Quote from: gentle_dissident on July 21, 2016, 01:06:58 AMNo venom. I care for these people every day.

OK. A religious person is equally justified in asserting that all atheists are suffering from a mental disorder. I just have trouble understanding what that accomplishes.

The difference is... they're wrong. We have to look for all causes and solutions to religion. It will kill the planet if left unchecked. Religion is both an excuse to repress and a death wish.

Jezebel

Quote from: MariaEvri on July 20, 2016, 12:24:42 PM
I am reading the bible currently (so far I am at ezekiel) and not only have I not seen wisdom but a lot of times I found myself saying wtf

There's plenty of wisdom in Ezekiel; eat, drink and be merry because life is short.  IIRC the end was added on.  That is from Bart Ehrman.  It's his favorite bible book.  I think he was debating Matt Slick or some guy named Mr. Butt.  Yea it was Butt. 
for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked...OR he doesn't exist

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: gentle_dissident on July 20, 2016, 10:13:12 PM
Rational? The religious are Schizophrenic by definition.

So, since I'm a Christian, I think you've just diagnosed me.  Thanks.  Do I owe you anything?

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Jezebel on July 24, 2016, 01:56:06 AM
I am reading the bible currently (so far I am at ezekiel) and not only have I not seen wisdom but a lot of times I found myself saying wtf

There's plenty of wisdom in Ezekiel; eat, drink and be merry because life is short.  IIRC the end was added on.  That is from Bart Ehrman.  It's his favorite bible book.  I think he was debating Matt Slick or some guy named Mr. Butt.  Yea it was Butt.

Hmmmm.  I think you mean Ecclesiastes, but I could be wrong.  Ezekiel was instructed to eat shit (literally).  I'm not sure he was all that merry about it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 24, 2016, 03:18:33 AM
Hmmmm.  I think you mean Ecclesiastes, but I could be wrong.  Ezekiel was instructed to eat shit (literally).  I'm not sure he was all that merry about it.
;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Pasta Chick

I'm a little concerned with the over-simplifying of schizophrenia.

Dave

Good, nourishing stuff shit, about 40% protein - but stick with your own, that of others might be less good for you! The legend goes tbat British commandos have to eat shit sandwiches to qualify for their berets!

Personally I will go with anything chocolate, same colour but . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Jezebel

Yes you are right Ecclesiastes it is.  Apologies.  My memory is not the best in the world.  :-[
for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked...OR he doesn't exist

Magdalena

Yes, he was not all that merry about it, and even 'negotiated' this part with god:
QuoteEzekiel 4:12-15New International Version (NIV)

12 Eat the food as you would a loaf of barley bread; bake it in the sight of the people, using human excrement for fuel." 13 The Lord said, "In this way the people of Israel will eat defiled food among the nations where I will drive them."

14 Then I said, "Not so, Sovereign Lord! I have never defiled myself. From my youth until now I have never eaten anything found dead or torn by wild animals. No impure meat has ever entered my mouth."

15 "Very well," he said, "I will let you bake your bread over cow dung instead of human excrement."

New International Version (NIV)
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Magdalena on July 25, 2016, 07:27:29 PM
Yes, he was not all that merry about it, and even 'negotiated' this part with god:
QuoteEzekiel 4:12-15New International Version (NIV)

12 Eat the food as you would a loaf of barley bread; bake it in the sight of the people, using human excrement for fuel." 13 The Lord said, "In this way the people of Israel will eat defiled food among the nations where I will drive them."

14 Then I said, "Not so, Sovereign Lord! I have never defiled myself. From my youth until now I have never eaten anything found dead or torn by wild animals. No impure meat has ever entered my mouth."

15 "Very well," he said, "I will let you bake your bread over cow dung instead of human excrement."

New International Version (NIV)
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

I read this right after lunch and almost threw up.  The horror, the horror!