News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

10 years of HAF 22nd June 2016

Started by Tank, May 20, 2016, 12:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

HAF entered the world on the the 22nd June 2006.

Leave your congratulations here to Whitney and many many others members and staff!

But mostly to this little bit of insane sanity that is Happy Atheist Forum.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Honestly this forum has been such a huge part of my teen years that I cannot imagine how my life would be if I hadn't found it almost 5 years ago. This place is full so so many different an amazing people.

I love you all, even you Siz.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

joeactor

Cool...

HAF began a little after I switched careers.

Quite a special place. Always interesting and entertaining...

Happy HAFDay!

Sweetdeath

I think I joined this place in 2012 or so..? Maybe earlier? I was mainly on my mobile phone. I just got my first smartphone ever (some cheap android) and I made a post. I made that typo that Tank will hold over my head to my grave. I remember googling atheists after attending a meeting irl, but the people were so hostile to me. I thought to myself "Not all people who don't believe in God can be this rude and cranky, surely."

So I ended up here via google. I was immediately grateful. I never realize it was possible, since my forum days never last, but this is my family. I realized more than ever than you don't need to be related by blood or even live in the same state or country to be a real family. I love you all so much. You have helped me through hard times, like losing my jobs, of my mom dying in the hospital. Everyone is pretty bold and honest here. I like tough love and don't beat around the bush.  I've become the angry New yorker here and I don't mind.

I like that even though many of us have varying opinions, we all try our best to respect one another.  I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm glad this forum is here.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

No one

Quote from: Tank on May 20, 2016, 12:49:08 PM
HAF entered the world on the the 22nd June 2016.

And to think today is only May 20,  2016.
That,  is a real neat trick.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: No one on May 20, 2016, 06:19:48 PM

Shhhh, don't let Tank know that he screwed up.

Tank

No one read what I wrote!

Well spotted!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 20, 2016, 06:47:40 PM

Shhhh, don't let Tank know that he screwed up.
Too late :)

Asmodean

I've been here, on and off, for a better part of a decade myself (VERY rapidly closing on eight years)

This place has seen me get an education, a couple of careers, make friends, lose friends, change my views, my style, my purpose... And in many ways, it has evolved in its own directions while I evolved in mine.

...People came and left and came back. Things have changed, and others stayed the same. In the end, HAF is the people who visit here. A half-insane cauldron of opinions and ideas ranging from militancy for reason to lunacy for religion. "Everyone" half-serious about their opinion gets heard here - then gets his nose rubbed thoroughly in the dirt of his own ignorance if such rubbing is warranted. That right there, I think, is something worth keeping.

Happy Decade of HAF Day!
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Firebird

I signed on 4.5 years ago. At the time, I was just looking for an outlet because I was pissed off over an incident where my wife was pressured to say "So help me god"  during her citizenship oath. Never really cared much about atheism or my lax secularism before that.  Ended up staying and having lots of fun discussing, arguing,  and clowning with all of you. Got lots of great book recommendations, you motivated me to finally watch Cosmos, which has reignited my interest in astronomy, and you've all really helped me discover more about myself and what I believe in than I thought possible.
You are all awesome and I feel privileged to be part of this place.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

Wow, it's been almost 6 years since I've been posting here. 8)

Back then I registered for accounts in various atheist forums, but HAF is the only one I stuck to, being the great small forum it is. :grin:

I'm terrible at speeches so I would just like to take this opportunity to say thank you to all who make this forum what it is.  :blahblah:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Guardian85

5 1/2 years I have been here. I think I have more real friends through the forum then I have in real life.

Some amazing people in here. Thank you for helping me maintain my tenuous grasp on my sanity.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Icarus

I have been around this forum for quite a while, it has given me much satisfaction and pleasure.  Here is a special thank you for all the good people who  keep the forum going. You know who you are.

I like to think of the members as family even when we disagree. Actually I am old enough to be every one else's father or grandfather or even great grandfather. In the interest of full disclosure: June 27th I will be 76 years older than the forum.  .....Wonder of wonders, you still let me participate. Thank you everyone for that kind consideration.

Bad Penny II

I'm glad Tank sorted out that time paradox, those things make me nervous.
I'm only new here but it doesn't seem too bad a place, compared to reality anyway.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Firebird

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 21, 2016, 10:38:04 AM
I'm glad Tank sorted out that time paradox, those things make me nervous.
I'm only new here but it doesn't seem too bad a place, compared to reality anyway.

Thank you Doctor.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"