News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

The Art and things we've made thread...

Started by Claireliontamer, January 28, 2016, 06:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 21, 2021, 02:49:23 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 20, 2021, 10:01:30 PM
(So, when are you going to mail me an pair of concrete dog bookends? :grin:)

Thanks! I think wrapping bookends with raised hind legs will be a bit challenging.

:lol:

Just because they're books doesn't mean they're still trees.  :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 23, 2021, 02:24:47 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on December 21, 2021, 02:49:23 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 20, 2021, 10:01:30 PM
(So, when are you going to mail me an pair of concrete dog bookends? :grin:)

Thanks! I think wrapping bookends with raised hind legs will be a bit challenging.

:lol:

Just because they're books doesn't mean they're still trees.  :P

Yes, but my dogs would probably fancy themselves as literary critics.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 19, 2021, 02:06:56 PM
Concrete bookends: Egyptian cat god Bastet.

I took an existing Bastet image, but put a contemporary twist on it by applying my favourite slicing technique to it. I wanted to give the concrete a patina that made the bookends look like ancient artifacts, but without looking too kitschy. I think I have managed to make them look battered and old, as if they were found in a tomb in Egypt.

I included some objects in the second photo to give a sense of scale.

Wow! Those are nice.  :tellmemore:
You're creative and talented.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Hermes, you also stage photos with some skill and talent.

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on December 25, 2021, 12:22:02 AM
Hermes, you also stage photos with some skill and talent.

Thank you for noticing, Icarus. I take pleasure in the whole process. from making stuff, all the way to the end when I take the photos for my records.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

I had an idea to apply rapid set concrete, that has been my go-to medium for sculptures for a while, to hardboard panels. The problem is the weight and the challenge of making it stick, so I decided to bolt stainless steel mesh to the panel, spaced 5 mm from the surface.

This panel is 610 x 760mm and was the foundation for the following painting:

This series of paintings was intended to be hung on my own walls, so the aim was to produce something that was not seductively pretty. I am fond of dark, almost black, paintings, hence my use of sombre colours. I didn't expect anyone to take to it, but it has been received very well over at the Creative Spark forum. This one weighs 8.4kg. The dark green bar near the bottom is 16mm thick.
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 10, 2022, 02:12:58 PM
Looks kind of brutal. I like it!

Thank you, you've detected the essence of what I intended, so that makes me happy. It belongs to a tradition of art brut, to which Jean Dubuffet and Antoni Tapies, amongst others, were venerable contributors.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Love the combination of colours and textures. As DL says brutal.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on January 10, 2022, 04:56:51 PM
Love the combination of colours and textures. As DL says brutal.

Thank you, Tank. I think it is the least accessible one in the series. I will show the others as well. Still finishing the last one in this group.
― Charles Eames

Ecurb Noselrub

The impression it gives is stark and ominous. I think I'll go back to bed and hide under the covers. Barbarians are at the gate!

hermes2015

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 14, 2022, 04:07:19 PM
The impression it gives is stark and ominous. I think I'll go back to bed and hide under the covers. Barbarians are at the gate!

Well, I am happy that at least you were not indifferent to it! That is worse even that dislike or hatred. It is the least accessible painting in the series, as you will see when I post the rest.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Another in the series of my concrete texture paintings. This one is friendlier than the first one I posted and is fairly big and heavy at 800 x 800mm and 10.2kg. The groove has a metallic silver texture.

I hope it doesn't cause too much distress, gentle HAF members.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Compared to the first one this feels 'disconnected' in some way. Doesn't stir emotions in the same way the other one did.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.