News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

The Art and things we've made thread...

Started by Claireliontamer, January 28, 2016, 06:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on May 11, 2022, 12:36:06 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on May 10, 2022, 05:39:21 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on May 10, 2022, 04:27:05 PMwhat is your opinion of georgia o keefe?

I do admire her work, but I must admit my judgement may be clouded by an admiration for the persona behind the products of her aesthetic point of view.

i know little about her life, but her flowers and skulls have adorned my walls whenever o have the opportunity. your second piecereminds me of her stuff

very different style but still reminiscent

Georgia was married to the great Alfred Stieglitz, who played an important role in Marcel Duchamp's life when Duchamp was in New York as a young man.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

i expected nothing but im still disappointed

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 09, 2022, 01:02:46 PMA useful technique to expand art skills is to try something totally outside one's comfort zone. I did a self-imposed exercise like that recently, when I gave myself the task of painting a still life of a Hokkaido pumpkin, a tomato, and a green bell pepper. Not something I am usually interested in doing. The idea wasn't to produce a "work of art", but at least one person like it enough to ask me for it and it is now hanging in her kitchen. It was an interesting exercise in that I felt uncomfortable painting it, but it was nevertheless a good learning experience.

Alkyd oil paints, size 600 x 760 mm

Quote from: Magdalena on May 10, 2022, 08:23:15 PM

Hermes!

These are both very beautiful, nice work, nice work indeed!!

I love the colors in both paintings,...the more I look at the flower the more and more I like it, again very nice work. I feel as if I'm lying in the grass staring at the petals against a long green meadow!!

:hammock:
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

hermes2015

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on May 11, 2022, 05:14:40 PMHermes!

These are both very beautiful, nice work, nice work indeed!!

I love the colors in both paintings,...the more I look at the flower the more and more I like it, again very nice work. I feel as if I'm lying in the grass staring at the petals against a long green meadow!!

:hammock:

Thank you for your kind words. They have both been received very well, in spite of just being self-imposed training tasks and a bit of a slog.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

I haven't produced any art for almost a year. I have experienced low physical and emotional energy caused by the hormone therapy which was part of my prostate cancer treatment. This painting is not like my usual sombre non-figurative paintings, since I did it at the request of someone close to me, who has helped me through some difficult times. She wanted something floral, cheerful, and sunny. I produced what is frankly a pastiche—something I would not do for anyone else, so don't judge me too harshly! At least she is really happy with it.

The flowers are fairly realistic, but the background of leaves is more abstract. Oil paint. Size: 800mm x 800m.

― Charles Eames

MarcusA

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 06, 2023, 04:36:55 AMI haven't produced any art for almost a year. I have experienced low physical and emotional energy caused by the hormone therapy which was part of my prostate cancer treatment. This painting is not like my usual sombre non-figurative paintings, since I did it at the request of someone close to me, who has helped me through some difficult times. She wanted something floral, cheerful, and sunny. I produced what is frankly a pastiche—something I would not do for anyone else, so don't judge me too harshly! At least she is really happy with it.

The flowers are fairly realistic, but the background of leaves is more abstract. Oil paint. Size: 800mm x 800m.

I'd say that it's anything but passe.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

hermes2015

Quote from: MarcusA on May 06, 2023, 04:48:47 AMI'd say that it's anything but passe.

Thanks. Not passé, but definitely a pastiche.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 06, 2023, 04:36:55 AMI haven't produced any art for almost a year. I have experienced low physical and emotional energy caused by the hormone therapy which was part of my prostate cancer treatment. This painting is not like my usual sombre non-figurative paintings, since I did it at the request of someone close to me, who has helped me through some difficult times. She wanted something floral, cheerful, and sunny. I produced what is frankly a pastiche—something I would not do for anyone else, so don't judge me too harshly! At least she is really happy with it.

It's not in your usual style that's for sure. Love it :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Thank you Tank. I wouldn't do it for many other people in the world.
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

That's quite nice, Hermes! I haven't carved anything in a year, and it took me 6 months to get around to running the wiring for my new table saw. I'm using it, and when I get some space cleated out, I'll get some carving done.

billy rubin

i had to look "pastiche" up.

is that necessarilly a bad thing?

i expected nothing but im still disappointed

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on May 06, 2023, 03:07:09 PMi had to look "pastiche" up.

is that necessarilly a bad thing?

In an absolute sense, no. But an artist's ego comes into play here, because producing a pastiche is somehow seen as a betrayal of one's own style.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 06, 2023, 02:52:24 PMThat's quite nice, Hermes! I haven't carved anything in a year, and it took me 6 months to get around to running the wiring for my new table saw. I'm using it, and when I get some space cleated out, I'll get some carving done.

Thank you! I know what you mean. Even at the best of times I have to push myself to start doing things. I guess my inborn laziness can be blamed, along with the recent hormone treatment.
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Periods of inactivity might be going around in the HAF community.  I too have not done much of anything in my workshop. I do have plans to build some things but have not yet mustered the energy to commence.