News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

The Art and things we've made thread...

Started by Claireliontamer, January 28, 2016, 06:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on January 15, 2022, 08:30:38 AM
Compared to the first one this feels 'disconnected' in some way. Doesn't stir emotions in the same way the other one did.

Thank you for the valid comment, Tank.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

i cant see jack on my phone. but ill be home tuesdsy and ill look then

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

This is some dark stuff, Hermes. Darker than the first one, to me.

hermes2015

This one is prettier than the first two. The size is 400 x 400mm, so very small for me. After the brutalist character of the first two, I wanted to do something more lyrical, with a gentler texture. I decided to do a variation on one of the profiles of the left leg of my concrete poolside reclining nude. As a reminder, I'm referring to this one I posted before.

This is one of the A0 size AutoCad files I used when I was making the sculpture:

The shape I used is top left.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Ecurb Noselrub

These are quite interesting. They invite me to consider at a deeper level.

hermes2015

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 16, 2022, 04:24:35 PM
These are quite interesting. They invite me to consider at a deeper level.

Thank you! Ha, yes, the level is 7mm deep on this one.
― Charles Eames

Tank

I really enjoy seeing the these insights into your work.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on January 17, 2022, 10:04:54 AM
I really enjoy seeing the these insights into your work.

Thanks! I am finishing the last of the concrete painting experiments before moving on to other ideas. I feel some brighter, more cheerful colours bubbling up.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

This one is 760 x 610mm. The textured areas are stained and painted concrete, with the intentionally exposed stainless steel reinforcing mesh painted as well. If anyone spots a resemblance to Stonehenge, you are not wrong. The shapes are based loosely on one view of Stonehenge. This was purely a design decision; there is no deeper meaning apart from whatever a viewer may see in it. If anything, in my mind it has a certain ancient Egyptian undertone.

Detail
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

To show that I am capable of making bright and cheerful paintings, here is something from my youth. When I was a post grad student I found a discarded spokeless bicycle wheel on campus. I took it home and mounted it on a 910 x 1220mm primed board. I painted sharply defined stripes in complementary colours on the board with Winsor & Newton oils, then strung nylon sash cord through the rim. I painted the cord with pigmented polyester resin. There is an interesting moving optical effect when one walks past the painting, because of the relative movement of the cords in front of the background stripes. I've had many offers, but I still have it.

― Charles Eames

TheFightSong

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 07, 2021, 05:05:38 AM
Exploring precarious balance.

Fast set concrete with metallic powder detailing. Height 800 mm.

:yum:
That makes me think of long, hard, and thick elbow macaroni pasta. Also, it makes think of a long, hard, and thick cheeseball. Makes me want to eat some small, soft, and thin macaroni pasta with cheese in a bowl. Mmm... I'm thinking about the arousing sound of stirring macaroni and cheese before it reaches my lips.
:let'seat:

Recusant

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 29, 2022, 04:47:30 PM
This one is 760 x 610mm. The textured areas are stained and painted concrete, with the intentionally exposed stainless steel reinforcing mesh painted as well. If anyone spots a resemblance to Stonehenge, you are not wrong. The shapes are based loosely on one view of Stonehenge. This was purely a design decision; there is no deeper meaning apart from whatever a viewer may see in it. If anything, in my mind it has a certain ancient Egyptian undertone.

. . .

I like this one best of the concrete painting series you've shared. The red dominates and seems to make it the warmest of them. Also, I am a sucker for megalithic references.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

Thank you guys. I appreciate your comments.

I am working on a painting that incorporates copper tubing. Will see whether any megalithic references spring to mind.
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Cool! Does the red medallion signify the sun?

Will you be patinating any of the copper? I gotta get going on some projects. I'm chipping away at a carving, atm.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 01, 2022, 04:00:16 PM
Cool! Does the red medallion signify the sun?

Will you be patinating any of the copper? I gotta get going on some projects. I'm chipping away at a carving, atm.

Thank you. My public stance is that the painting and its components have no deeper meaning, other than being purely physically attractive (to me) elements. I must confess, though, that I was thinking of Egyptian art while working on the painting. So, the red element could symbolize Ra if that is what anyone wants to see in it.

I don't think I will apply any chemical patination to the copper, which is in the form of 3mm refrigeration grade tubing, but will probably do some glazing effects. I used ammonia fumes on a small objet trouvé brass sculpture once, but I feel I will not have enough control over that process in my painting.

Later: I forgot to ask what you're carving. Are you going to show us the work in progress?
― Charles Eames