News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

How Was Your Christmas?

Started by xSilverPhinx, December 28, 2015, 11:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

I knew it was a sex position but here I was hoping that the dirty jokes wouldn't show up in the Christmas thread haha.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 28, 2015, 08:06:17 PM
I knew it was a sex position but here I was hoping that the dirty jokes wouldn't show up in the Christmas thread haha.
No chance  :rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bluenose

The Blue xmas proceeded as normal at my sisters place. We share the costs with the main participants contributing to the meal. My sister provides the turkey and the veges, and I get the sparkling red wine, this year I got a rather tasty sparkling shiraz/durif, plus i always buy a 2.5 kg box of jumbo sized cherries. Mum does the studying for the turkey gets the duck fat for the roast spuds and brings chocolates (yum).  This year's "ring-ins" brought some beautiful dips served in whole scooped out loaves of bread - delish!

Because it was a declared total fire ban day we couldn't cook the bird in the webber as planned so we did it in the oven and took it out early, wrapped it in foil and let it rest while we roasted the veges. The turkey turned out absolutely tender, juicy and succulent!  Well be doing it this way in future.

All in all we had a great day. There were 15 people for lunch, we had a blast.

---
Edit: fixed predictive text errors
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Icarus

The nearby family came to their senses for this years holiday. The women decided: to hell with all that work and expense for the traditional fare of stuffed turkey, candied yams, and all those casseroles, condiments, and pies, and other goodies.  They decided that we'd have soup and grilled cheese sandwiches with a suitable amount of beer.  That worked out brilliantly, a good time was had by all, our stomachs were satisfied, our thirst quenched, and none of us bothered to thank Jesus or have a lot of dishes to wash. ............ Halleleulia!!!

Guardian85

Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 28, 2015, 08:06:17 PM
Yeah, right!  8)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 28, 2015, 11:23:24 AM
Mine was awful, just awful. It's safe to say that I'm never going to my maternal grandparent's house for Christmas again. 

Sorry about all that xSPx, esp. the mosquitos.  Fundamentalist relatives I can tune out, but not mosquitos.

Mine was quiet, but very nice.  Teresa's daughter Olivia turned up for a surprise visit and they came over to my place for Xmas eve dinner (T cooked, so nobody got food poisoning): ham, mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts.  I've been eating left-over ham for days.

Everybody gave me books, so I was happy.  Even my brother gave me a book.  At some point I can't remember I sent him a sketch book (inscription in front to remind me), and he sent it back filled up.  Mostly he does rather abstract stuff -- weird looking to me because I'm a philistine.  This sort of image turns up frequently:

This sketchbook, however, had a lot of very realistic drawings in it as well.  My favorites:

If I can get good photocopies made, I'm going to frame a few of them.  The bear, definitely.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Those sketches are exceptionally good.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on December 30, 2015, 09:48:09 AM
Those sketches are exceptionally good.

I've always thought so, but then, he's my brother.
Sandy

Essie Mae

Very creative present.

In deciding to make things easy (8 of us), I bought prepared carrots and parsnips but they failed to cook in the allotted time, and by the time we had put them in the microwave to cook, having then to separate out the parsnips from the carrots because they cooked first, it was twice the work and the two o'clock serving time became 3.30. Fortunately everyone was well oiled with alcohol by then and no-one seemed to mind. When it's my turn again in two years' time, I'll do it all from scratch as usual. We had a lovely time though.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Essie Mae on December 30, 2015, 11:38:41 PM
In deciding to make things easy (8 of us), I bought prepared carrots and parsnips but they failed to cook in the allotted time, and by the time we had put them in the microwave to cook, having then to separate out the parsnips from the carrots because they cooked first, it was twice the work and the two o'clock serving time became 3.30.

I have never known that not to happen at a holiday dinner -- "we'll eat at 2" becomes sit down at 5.  Tho in my experience because somebody seriously underestimated the cooking time on the turkey.  In any case, that's what alcohol and appetizers are for!
Sandy

Firebird

Those sketches are quite good!
Neither the wife or I celebrate  and neither of our families is nearby, and it was in the 70s ( 20s if you're using centigrade) which is unheard of in Boston. So I lay in the backyard reading all afternoon, we grilled a bunch of food, and binge watched Jessica Jones and Dr. Who. It was awesome.
It dropped below freezing and snowed since then, of course.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"