News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Perfect Argument Agianst God

Started by Tanker, June 10, 2008, 12:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voter

Quote from: "Tanker"A couple years ago I came across a web sight that had a variety of tests on it that were very strictly unbiased, cought me in a few misconceptions on my part, such as my willingness to believe atheism over religion when presented with the same amount evidence. Really good tests. Anyway one of the tests you checked off the properties of your ideal god, it was a long list from many current and even dead religions. After submiting them it pointed out the contradicions and inconsistancies. Well I decided that it would be fun to check off the christian god ideals. Well not surprisingly there are some holes in the christian religion. I'll list the three that I remember it hiting on as flawed.

1. God is all knowing
2. God is all loving
3. God is all powerful

The glaring flaw: god knows when your in pain, he loves you so much he would do anything to stop it, he has the power to stop it but doesen't. The Cristian god could actually possibly exist if any one of the three traits wasen't in the equation for their god, but then he woulden't be perfect, and since god is perfect he has to be all three. The very discription of god proves he can't exist.

Of couse this argument works about as well as any, that is to say not well. I do like to watch the gears grind right after I say it to them, just befor brains get traction in blind faith mode, and they trot out the same tired party answers.
Where do you get "God is all loving" from the Bible? Didja skip over the flood the whole earth thing?
Quote from: "An anonymous atheist poster here"Your world view is your world view. If you keep it to yourself then I don't really care what it is. Trouble is you won't keep it to yourself and that's fine too. But if you won't keep your beliefs to yourself you have no right, no right whatsoever, not to have your world view bashed. You make your wo

Tom62

You can find the answers to these questions in the Bible (the skeptic annotated Bbible that is http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/)

1. God is not all knowing
Genesis 18:9 "And they said unto him, Where is Sarah thy wife? And he said, Behold, in the tent."
Genesis 18:20-21 "And the Lord said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous, I will go down now and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and, if not, I will know."
Genesis 32:27 "And he [God] said unto him [Jacob], What is thy name?"
Numbers 22:9 "And God came unto Balaam, and said, What men are these with thee?"
Job 1:7, 2:2" And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, from going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it".
Hosea 8:4 "They have set up kings, but not by me: they have made princes, and I knew it not."

2. God is not all loving
Numbers 25:4 "And the Lord said to Moses, Take all the heads of the people, and hang them up before the Lord against the sun, that the fierce anger of the Lord may be turned away from Israel."
Deuteronomy 7:16 "And thou shalt consume all the people which the Lord thy God shall deliver thee; thine eye shall have no pit upon them."
1 Samuel 6:19 "Because they had looked into the ark of the Lord, even he smote of the people fifty thousand, and three score and ten men."
1 Samuel 15:2-3 "Now go an smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not, but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling."
Lamentation 2:2 "The LORD hath swallowed up all the habitations of Jacob, and hath not pitied."
Lamentations 2:17 "The LORD hath done that which he had devised.... He hath thrown down, and hath not pitied."
Jeremiah 13:14 " I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy."
Jeremiah 16:3-7 "For thus saith the LORD concerning the sons and concerning the daughters that are born in this place, and concerning their mothers that bare them, and concerning their fathers that begat them in this land; They shall die of grievous deaths; they shall not be lamented; neither shall they be buried; but they shall be as dung upon the face of the earth: and they shall be consumed by the sword, and by famine; and their carcases shall be meat for the fowls of heaven, and for the beasts of the earth. For thus saith the LORD, Enter not into the house of mourning, neither go to lament nor bemoan them: for I have taken away my peace from this people, saith the LORD, even lovingkindness and mercies. Both the great and the small shall die in this land: they shall not be buried, neither shall men lament for them, nor cut themselves, nor make themselves bald for them: Neither shall men tear themselves for them in mourning, to comfort them for the dead; neither shall men give them the cup of consolation to drink for their father or for their mother."
Ezekiel 7:4, 9 " And mine eye shall not spare thee, neither will I have pity."
Ezekiel 9:5-6 " Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity: Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women."
Micah 1:12 "But evil came down from the LORD unto the gate of Jerusalem."

3. God is not all powerful
Judges 1:19 "And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron."
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tanker

Tom62 your arguments a probly much more effective than just stating them as the obvious flaws they are. I did state they were the christian ideals not the facts, that was the whole point of showing how contradictory they are in the first place. Geez man you don't have to convince me I already think the bible is a load.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Mastriani

QuoteI dunno about that...
I'm right behind you.
And I am you.
(also the keyboard)

Time fissure implosion.  Divinity is nullified.  :beer:
Praedatorious culminis; hominis necis

theseedoffaith

I doubt that God is a man with a long white beard who knows everything about everyone. God seems more like the ideal of eternity. This is important to determine between when attempting to disprove an ideal. The real question is why you're attempting to disprove an ideal when, as practical people, we already understand that ideals are impossible to reach. Tao Te Ching: If you look for it, you'll never see it; if you listen for it, you'll never hear it; if you reach for it, you'll never reach it.

Loffler

Quote from: "theseedoffaith"I doubt that God is a man with a long white beard who knows everything about everyone. God seems more like the ideal of eternity.
I don't see the connection. "God" is the intelligent creator of the universe. If the origin of the universe lacks intelligence, it's not God.
QuoteThis is important to determine between when attempting to disprove an ideal. The real question is why you're attempting to disprove an ideal when, as practical people, we already understand that ideals are impossible to reach.
Because theists don't think He's a mere ideal, they think He's a real being.
QuoteTao Te Ching: If you look for it, you'll never see it; if you listen for it, you'll never hear it; if you reach for it, you'll never reach it.
Sounds like a waste of time.

Loffler

Quote from: "Mastriani"
QuoteI dunno about that...
I'm right behind you.
And I am you.
(also the keyboard)

Time fissure implosion.  Divinity is nullified.  :beer:

Tanker

QuoteI doubt that God is a man with a long white beard who knows everything about everyone. God seems more like the ideal of eternity. This is important to determine between when attempting to disprove an ideal.

I never stated that it was the Christian god portrayed in mass media. For the N th time I stated "I put in the christian ideals" Those were three that couteracted each other in an obviouse way.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.