News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

A Word for the Day

Started by Recusant, November 08, 2015, 08:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Barnaclehung - hung like a barnacle.  Their penises are up to 8 times their body length.  This is what evolution does when you just sit at home and copulate with the neighbors.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 19, 2021, 02:09:19 PM
Barnaclehung - hung like a barnacle.  Their penises are up to 8 times their body length.  This is what evolution does when you just sit at home and copulate with the neighbors.

Barnacle penises are actually the number 10 of weird animal penises....just give a listen to Florence explain.

P.S. - If anyone ever checks my search history, they'll wonder what the strange hell I'm doing searching for Barnacle Penises...thanks HAF/Bruce  ::)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

billy rubin

barniculee

noun

the region within the intertidal zone of a barnacle colony which is temporarily sheltered from the tidal stream during the ebb and flood tides, a region of low laminar flow and high turbulence, coupled with a low concentrations of plankton. during flood tide, the barniculee is landward; at ebb tide, it is seaward.

careful observes will be able to hear the barnacles celebrate the arrival of slack water by their joyous cries of "luff! luff!" followed soon after by silence as they extend their cirri into the current and begin to feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM1VBb0BgLo

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Biggus Dickus

Agnorant

adjective

/ˈag-n(ə-)rənt

Definition of agnorant

1.    lacking knowledge or education, extremely ignorant
2.   simultaneously extremly arrogant.

Example: People who believe they know more about science than the scientists are very agnorant.

Synonyms
benighted, illeterate, American, analphabetic, Conservative,uneducated, Republican, unlettered, Christian.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on October 07, 2021, 05:54:53 PM
Agnorant

adjective

/ˈag-n(ə-)rənt

Definition of agnorant

1.    lacking knowledge or education, extremely ignorant
2.   simultaneously extremly arrogant.

Example: People who believe they know more about science than the scientists are very agnorant.

Synonyms
benighted, illeterate, American, analphabetic, Conservative,uneducated, Republican, unlettered, Christian.

Love it :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Icarus

Dark Lightning

Biggus Dickus

I was thinking,...if you spell the word "wrong" wrong, your haven't spelled it right, so therefore it's wrong, but it's also not wrong, because it's not right. Right? ::)

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on October 13, 2021, 05:54:00 PM
I was thinking,...if you spell the word "wrong" wrong, your haven't spelled it right, so therefore it's wrong, but it's also not wrong, because it's not right. Right? ::)

Well, two wrongs don't make a right, so it you are spell wrong wrong, you have two wrongs and it can't be right.  It is still wrong.  But I have always contended that three wrongs do make a right, so if you spell the wrong wrong wrong, it is OK, because after three wrongs, it becomes an accepted way of doing things. Now, what happens if you spell wrong wrong by spelling it Wong?  Then it becomes an international matter, and the Chinese will claim that we are blaming them for all wrongs, and they will incarcerate all American tourists named Long, saying that they are the source of all that is wrong.

Biggus Dickus

I think this it a good place to place this, but l could be wong. ;D

Recusant

An article about the newly revised North American word list for club and tournament Scrabble. Some clearly ridiculous words have been added. Likely only interesting to those with a particular affinity to words or Scrabble.

"HORSEFEATHERSES!" | Slate

QuoteSince Scrabble adopted an official lexicon in 1978, one thing has been constant: People have never stopped arguing about what is or isn't a word.

Players have defended the game by noting that its letter strings—from AA (a kind of Hawaiian lava) to ZZZ (an interjection for sleep)—could be found in a bunch of standard North American dictionaries, books that have been used through the years to compile and revise Scrabble's tournament word list. But after an update last month introduced dozens of suspect words, riling up the community of competitive players, that's becoming harder to do.

[Item about some slurs being reinstated.]

But the slurs were just a warm-up act. When players, including me, started combing the list of additions of words up to 15-letters long—the OSPD (Official Scrabble Players Dictionary) stops at eight—they found a bunch of head-scratching stuff, mostly involving the inflected forms of words, with the plural endings -s and -es and the comparative endings -er, -est, -ier, and -iest.

Inflections can be tricky. Dictionaries have rarely listed every inflected form of root words, in the print age for space and expense and online because of convention. So Chew and his colleagues on NASPA's [North American Scrabble Players Association] dictionary committee did what Scrabble players have done since the first OSPD was published by Merriam-Webster Inc. 45 years ago: They tried to apply rules enumerated by dictionaries to guide decisions on the validity of a word.

That's a sensible approach, and NASPA spent hundreds of hours working on the update; a report to players cites numerous dictionary sources and drops authoritative-sounding terms like "cutback plural" and "suffixal identity." Chew, thanks in part to his Scrabble work, was recently named editor of a planned dictionary of Canadian English. But he's not a professional lexicographer, and NASPA didn't consult any lexicographers to vet its list. As a result, pro lexicographers told me, the group committed errors in assumption and interpretation about dictionary practices, with some lexically comical results.

Take ROUXES, which NASPA added as a plural of the French-derived cooking agent roux. While Merriam-Webster and four other Scrabble source dictionaries explicitly state that the plural of roux is roux, the fourth edition of Webster's New World College Dictionary, published in 2014, does not specify a plural. Chew told me that dictionary's front-matter rule regarding plurals of words ending in -s, -x, -z, and -sh is "extremely systematic" and calls for an -es ending when no plural is specified, which "unambiguously supports ROUXES."

Steve Kleinedler, the managing editor of the fifth edition of Webster's New World (2020), said NASPA's interpretation is incorrect. That particular rule about plurals, he explained, is intended for words that end in the sibilant sounds of the letters—like box or tax—not for French-derived words in which the x is silent. "They're reading way too much in the front matter of a collegiate dictionary that is simplifying broadly so that it's not bogged down in describing a handful of edge cases," Kleinedler emailed. "I don't think this (mis)reading of Webster's New World should be taken as a basis for adding words."

Or consider FECESES. According to NASPA, it was added because the second edition of the Canadian Oxford Dictionary (2005) doesn't list a plural for feces, even though numerous other dictionaries specify, and common sense confirms, that feces is a plural noun. In his email, Chew said that when there is doubt about implied inflections, "we look for credible published citations to support them." In a database for members, NASPA lists three citations for FECESES: a story in Fox News (the only Google hit I found from mainstream media), a passage in a textbook about Japanese marine life, and a 1934 article in a magazine about fox and fur ranching.

[Continues . . .]

In addition to the word used as the title of the article we find "debrises," "brutaler," and "subspecieses," among others.  :eyebrow:

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

I suspect that grammarians will rebel about some of those artificial words.

billy rubin

if enunciators enunciate, and brachiators brachiate, why dont commentators commentate?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Dictionaries only "report", they don't dictate, is what I have been told. Thus, we have the word "nuclear" pronounced as "nucular" by some august "dictionaries". One of my pet peeves. How hard is it to say, "newclear"?