News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

A Word for the Day

Started by Recusant, November 08, 2015, 08:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

In some government circles in the US, "nucular" is used when referring to armament, while "nuclear" is reserved for civilian installations. Not a hard and fast rule, and probably only applies to a particular demographic, but I've heard that distinction described by somebody who claimed to have insight.

Of course it is also common pronunciation among those who don't know what they're talking about. And fictional nuclear engineers.

As for the Scrabble words, they're likely to exist mostly/only in the Scrabble list and on higher level Scrabble boards. I considered the article a bit of curmudgeonly whimsy--the invented words are silly feceses.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

The Asmo particularly approves of the word "poofta" today. It never fails to amuse Him when He's reminded of its existence. :smilenod:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

The word nucelar is attributed to George W Bush, a True Texan whose language usage was not quite in line with OED details.

Dark Lightning

I remember it as Jimmy Carter's mispronunciation. Interesting, as he has a PHd in Nuclear Physics and served in the nuclear navy.

Asmodean

A doctorate in nucular physics? I didn't know that. The Asmo learneth things.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Carter was, and is, much more than a peanut farmer. 

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on November 18, 2023, 01:21:38 AMCarter was, and is, much more than a peanut farmer. 

Indeed, he walked the talk. Imagine any other ex-president out pounding in nails for charity. He's big, in my book.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 18, 2023, 02:25:15 AM
Quote from: Icarus on November 18, 2023, 01:21:38 AMCarter was, and is, much more than a peanut farmer. 

Indeed, he walked the talk. Imagine any other ex-president out pounding in nails for charity. He's big, in my book.

He is a good example in exactly the opposite way that Trump is a bad example of humanity.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Bah! I would be careful looking for role models even among the most saintly career politicians... But then of course if you are power-hungry, then that's where your success stories lie. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Carter was not a career politician. He is certainly a role model for people who aim to be civilized and caring for others.

That he is a lifelong Christian is of no matter to me. For what it is worth, he never proselytized when he was in a position of power.

Tank

He was a good guy in spite of his beliefs.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

he was regarded as a failure at the end of his presidency. his redemption was all after

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

Well he had the Iranian hostage crisis to deal with. Short of declaring war no incumbent president could survive that.

billy rubin

that and the arab oil embargo didnt help. gasoline soared to US 0.48 cents per gallon and people were terrified.

inflation was high as well

set the function, not the mechanism.

Icarus

Yeah, I bought an El Camino (Chevrolet passenger car pretending to be a truck) at about that time.  I opted for the smaller engine and the sales guy persuaded me to get the bigger one because it was more economical for fuel consumption. That damned engine was a gas guzzler.  It got about 14 Miles per gallon.  Then I discovered that there were some smog supressing features on the engine that could be eliminated.  I eliminated them and the mileage went up by 40%.

Gasoline prices in those days were pretty much in line with the state of the economy.