News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What are you watching?

Started by Claireliontamer, October 31, 2015, 05:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on November 29, 2020, 07:22:22 PM
I'm watching "The Queen's Gambit" on Netflix and I'm hooked. Read the Walter Tevis book years ago and love the way they brought it to life on the TV screen.

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 29, 2020, 07:37:25 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on November 29, 2020, 07:22:22 PM
I'm watching "The Queen's Gambit" on Netflix and I'm hooked. Read the Walter Tevis book years ago and love the way they brought it to life on the TV screen.

I got halfway through the first episode and couldn't get through the rest.  :-X

Looks like a 'Marmite' show.

And don't be tempted by AWAY. I fast forwarded the second half of the season to see what happened out of morbid curiosity rather than interest.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

I finished watching "The Queen's Game" yesterday. Great story telling and the actors were superb. A must see for anyone who (like me) likes the game and world of chess. What I loved most was that the main protagonist wasn't a Mary Sue character. She had her flaws and went through difficult times, unlike many of the female characters we see nowadays in woke Hollywood movies.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

I've decided to give in and watch The Mandalorion to see what all the fuss is about.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I figured out what all the fuss is about: it's Baby Yoda  ;D

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 10, 2020, 01:35:37 AM
I figured out what all the fuss is about: it's Baby Yoda  ;D

eeee!  :tellmemore:
So cute!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Too bad the video was worth the time to watch.   But then it is all a matter of taste is it not?

Bad Penny II

The Imitation Game, I love The Imitation Game.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Randy

Borsch - I've been binge watching this for days. There are six seasons to it. It hooks one at the end of every episode to catch the next one. It's on Amazon Prime.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

I've almost finished Season 2 of The Mandalorian. When I finish it's going to leave a Baby Yoda-sized hole in my heart.  :'(

Bad Penny II

The Billy Elliot movie, I recorded it in HD, it's excellent, wonderful, adorable with TRex tunes.

Anne D.

Mr. In Between. Main character is a hitman and possibly a psychopath. But a pretty likeable psychopath. He seems to have a conscience, though, so maybe not a psychopath. I think the term is overused; most people are capable of doing horrible things, but we can't all be psychopaths.

The episodes are like 25 minutes long, which is great. No huge commitment.

Also just bingewatched "The Undoing" (Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant) over a couple nights. Got a little silly at the end, but it was still good. Like one of those old Law & Order episodes with a murder that shakes Manhattan high society. Fun to get a glimpse into how the 5 percent lives. Nicole Kidman must have sold her soul to still have skin that luminous.

Tried to watch a horror movie with Henry Rollins in it (He Never Died or something like that). It was horrible, and I stopped 30 minutes in. Probably should not have even tried. I hate Henry Rollins; he's such a doofus. But it had gotten decent reviews.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Anne D. on June 26, 2021, 06:30:28 AM
Also just bingewatched "The Undoing" (Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant) over a couple nights. Got a little silly at the end, but it was still good. Like one of those old Law & Order episodes with a murder that shakes Manhattan high society. Fun to get a glimpse into how the 5 percent lives. Nicole Kidman must have sold her soul to still have skin that luminous.

Ye, I thought that was OK.
Does a considerable proportion of English people still disapprove of Hugh Grant?
I think some thought him too foppish, back, back in the day, hmm ye, understandable, maybe.  Still, I love About a Boy, Four Weddings and Notting Hill were fun, I'd like some more of those.
He was an excellent bastard in the Bridgets. 
Ye, he was, and Colin Firth is at least as foppish and no one takes him to task.
And Stephen Fry gets to fop wherever he wants, 'cause he's an institution.
A much loved institution.
Yes of course, we all bow to the Stephen

I didn't enjoy The Green Knight movie.
Reviewers swoon, some common folk are less complimentary.