News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What are you watching?

Started by Claireliontamer, October 31, 2015, 05:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Ah, yes! Lucifer! One of the very best of the more current crop of entertainment in my book.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on August 02, 2022, 07:25:06 PMAh, yes! Lucifer! One of the very best of the more current crop of entertainment in my book.

Apparently Tom Ellis, who plays Lucifer, was asked to read at the audition in an American accent. He didn't think it worked so he read it in his normal English accent. It helped get him the part.

Did you watch it dubbed or with the original soundtrack?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Original. English accent absolutely works for the way he portrayed his character.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on August 02, 2022, 09:48:13 PMOriginal. English accent absolutely works for the way he portrayed his character.

Well the yanks love a baddy with an English accent and Lucifer is the ultimate baddy  ;D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Indeed. Speaking of bad guys,

Time Machine - the one from the early naughties.

The Morlock leader. In my book, one of the best silver screen villains in the history of silver, screens and villainy.

SPOILER BELOW!

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Asmodean

The film was not bad at all. Even had some thought provoking elements to it, although I personally found the answer to the storyline question intuitively obvious.

I recommend. Also, the baddie really ought to be the role model for us all.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

The Great a rich concoction of historical fantasy, sex, gore and comedy. How this ever got funded is a miracle. But it got a lot of funding, the scripts are second to none, the acting brilliant and the sets and costumes amazing. A real gem of a production.

Asmodean

Wholesome, educational entertainment for a happily-fascinated The Asmo. :smilenod: This pleases Him.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Asmodean

Really? :-( I think the BBC might have it. It's Secrets of the Castle - a series about the Guédelon project.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on August 18, 2022, 01:17:38 PMCan't see this in the UK  :(

I set my location to Toronto in my VPN and could access the video. I always watch BBC TV programs by setting my location as London.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

I watch it on the Timeline channel, therefore I posted it as a YouTube link.

Whatever the case, I do recommend if you like castles and/or medieval technology and/or lifestyle and want some, how did I put it?
QuoteWholesome, educational entertainment for a happily-fascinated The Asmo

It's in five parts. They do make sense individually, and the one I posted is narrowly my favourite, but can recommend the whole thing.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

BWAHAHA! Oh, The Asmo's The Asmo!

Still watching the castles series, and Ruth, the historian lady just made my week. She was making a period-accurate paint brush.

"I went and found some badger hair. Well, I'll be honest, there was a b- there was some road kill... So I shaved it." I mean, the way she presented it... Pure gold. :lol: The badger's life was not in vain.

Still a probably-geolocked Timeline vid. The scene I'm talking about is from 28:38-ish.

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

The Game of Thrones prequel.

A short, spoiler-free review of episode 1;

I expected to be disappointed, but was not. They do push all kinds of progressive narratives, but it is done tastefully, as part of the greater story. For example, they spend some time in the prologue discussing how the assembly of lords chose a man as the heir to the Targaryen household rather than a woman, but in stead of making some political point about how "It's muh whamen's turn now!" they continued on as to the king's motivation for choosing an heir - to avoid the house tearing each other apart in a civil war (And setting up the future plot of it doing just that, I suspect) They approached motherhood - specifically, the duty of royal motherhood - with respect and... yeah. No spoilers, I said. Might start a breakdown discussion later. Suffice it to say, if indeed this is a political show, so far, it is so in-universe, without being pushy or preachy and without breaking immersion. I can live with that.

...In general terms, it seems like the creators actually tried to tell a good story above other concerns. The cast works well. The sets are of good quality. The CGI is adequate-to-good. Matt Smith is... Matt Smith.

I still fully expect this show to fall off a cliff in a hurry, but so far, I definitely recommend giving its debut episode a bit of a watch.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.