News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Religulous- the movie

Started by Smarmy Of One, June 07, 2008, 11:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoicheion

heh i like the end part of the trailer when a man comes over the intercom and they're like "Hey it's god!"
[size=85]So why does there only have to be one correct philosophy?
I don't wanna go and follow you just to end up like one of them
And why are you always telling me what you want me to believe?
I'd like to think that I can go my own way and meet you in the end
Go my own way and meet you in the end
"Same Direction" - Hoobastank
[/size]

McQ

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"
Quote from: "McQ"I'm looking forward to this flick. Not a big Maher fan at all, but this looks good. I went to the movies today and was torn between this and "Burn After Reading". Tossed a mental coin and BAR won, so I'll have to see Maher next time.

How was BAR? The lady and I want to see it, but I've heard it's pretty hit-or-miss. Wanna chuck in your review? :)

Happy to let you know my thoughts on it, although I'm still "digesting" it. My immediate impression as I watched it and after it ended was that I liked it. It ends seemingly abruptly, and is pretty short, at just over an hour and a half. It is very typical Coen Brothers stuff, black humor, which I like. Clooney and Pitt are excellent, as is Frances McDormand. A day later, I still like it, but not as much as Fargo, which is still my favorite of their films. It goes by fast though, and has a way of making you feel just uncomfortable enough, yet glued to it, the way "No Country For old Men" did for me. I recommend it if you like the Coen bros. and if you like any of the main actors in it (Tilda Swinton is just ok, IMO).
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

NoFearNoLimits

I've been waiting to see this movie, but it's not playing at any local theaters here.  Here is an interview of Bill Maher on the Daily Show, and a clip of him ranting about Scientology.

[youtube:3maeizwv]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzmqtYbyWH4[/youtube:3maeizwv]

[youtube:3maeizwv]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz4q7e9vQ58[/youtube:3maeizwv]
"I'd rather live one day as a lion, than a lifetime as a sheep"

myleviathan

Quote from: "McQ"A day later, I still like it, but not as much as Fargo, which is still my favorite of their films.

I loved Fargo, but I love the Big Lebowski and O Brother Where Art Thou even more. Just my opinion.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Whitney

I saw the movie last night.  I thought many parts of it were hilarious and most of the audience was also laughing (that might have been helped by the fact that a large group of freethinkers went to the same showing...we were going to meet up with them but I had thought they were going to another location further away so we went on our own.)  But there was a lot more than just that group causing the laughter.

As we were walking in there was a small group of older people and one fellow was telling his friend about the movie and that it was going to be a lot of one sided "propoganda."  There was also a group of people who spoke arabic who sat down behind us.  I'm guessing both of those groups came to see what sort of evil was contained in the movie and hurting the minds of our youth.

I think the movie jumped too quickly from this is why religion is rediculous to this is why it is dangerous.  I don't think that those who were not already "in the know" would quite get the correlation...well, at least not the correlation to their own belief system.

jrosebud

Question:  Those of you who saw the movie, do you think it *mocked* the religious?  There's quite a discussion going on one of the other boards I'm on (not an Atheistic board) about the movie and a good chunk are saying that they are boycotting the movie and think Maher's an ass because he's mocking people in this movie.  Was that your impression?
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

jrosebud

Quote from: "NoFearNoLimits"I've been waiting to see this movie, but it's not playing at any local theaters here.  Here is an interview of Bill Maher on the Daily Show, and a clip of him ranting about Scientology.

[youtube:2wq7xnea]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzmqtYbyWH4[/youtube:2wq7xnea]

[youtube:2wq7xnea]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz4q7e9vQ58[/youtube:2wq7xnea]

NoFearNoLimits, those were great.  Thanks for posting!
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise

rlrose328

The hubby and I dragged ourselves away from our respective work today and went to see this... I just love popcorn for lunch!

Anyway... it was fabulous, fantastic, frustrating, exhilarating, and everything in between.  We were crying during the last 5 minutes or so during his wrap up... he is so right.  More non-believers need to stand up and be counted.  We can no longer sit back and say that what others believe is their own business... they're making it a point to make it our business and we have to fight back.

Bill Maher is funny and right on point.

I can't wait to own this.  We were thinking of buying a few extra copies.  I might give one to the gal who gave me a DVD last spring which is a gal who went to school with Dawkins, refuting everything he's ever said in any of his books, all from a religious standpoint.  The lady who gave it to me said, "I hope this will open your eyes to the truth."  Maybe I'll give her "Religulous" for Christmas, with a card that says the same thing.

:pop:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Whitney

Quote from: "jrosebud"Question:  Those of you who saw the movie, do you think it *mocked* the religious?  There's quite a discussion going on one of the other boards I'm on (not an Atheistic board) about the movie and a good chunk are saying that they are boycotting the movie and think Maher's an ass because he's mocking people in this movie.  Was that your impression?

Of course it mocks religion.  The whole point of the movie is that religion is way too rediculous to be viewed seriously.

But, he's not mocking people...he's mocking beliefs.  He was actually just as respectful of the religious people he interviewed as he is of guests on his show.  He would ask them questions, explain why he disagres/doesn't understand, then thank them for their time [spoiler:jrmov4cq](expect for the rabbi holocaust denier...he walked out in frustration/disgust)[/spoiler:jrmov4cq].  I'm sure many of those people who are complaining would not hesitate to mock religions other than their own...Maher was trying to show that all religions are just as rediculous as the next.

Bill Maher is one of those people who is not afraid to tell you exactly what he thinks in a blunt yet humerous manner.  Those with thin skin will find him offensive no matter what the topic.

jrosebud

Quote from: "laetusatheos"
Quote from: "jrosebud"Question:  Those of you who saw the movie, do you think it *mocked* the religious?  There's quite a discussion going on one of the other boards I'm on (not an Atheistic board) about the movie and a good chunk are saying that they are boycotting the movie and think Maher's an ass because he's mocking people in this movie.  Was that your impression?

Of course it mocks religion.  The whole point of the movie is that religion is way too rediculous to be viewed seriously.

But, he's not mocking people...he's mocking beliefs.  He was actually just as respectful of the religious people he interviewed as he is of guests on his show.  He would ask them questions, explain why he disagres/doesn't understand, then thank them for their time [spoiler:309qkbze](expect for the rabbi holocaust denier...he walked out in frustration/disgust)[/spoiler:309qkbze].  I'm sure many of those people who are complaining would not hesitate to mock religions other than their own...Maher was trying to show that all religions are just as rediculous as the next.

Bill Maher is one of those people who is not afraid to tell you exactly what he thinks in a blunt yet humerous manner.  Those with thin skin will find him offensive no matter what the topic.

That's the point I'm trying to argue on my other board.  Religion as sacred, untouchable and that it's not disrespectful to challenge it or be amused by it.
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise

rlrose328

OMGawd, laetus... that spoiler... that was one of my favorite parts!  We were rolling...   :lol:

And you nailed it... he didn't mock religion.  He asked all the same questions we bat around on here.  He stated facts of their beliefs and asked why.  The CLIPS interspersed did mock religion quite a bit, but in his interviews, he was quite polite... much more polite that I would have been, quite frankly.

Love the Amsterdam footage as well.   :banna:
**Kerri**

MariaEvri

I havent seen this movie being advertised here at all. IM not surprised. But from what I saw online, It looks like a damn good movie. Ill see if I can download it from somewhere... or maybe someone has uploaded it on youtube...
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

rlrose328

It's still in the theaters, Maria...I doubt it's on YouTube yet.  I doubt Bill Maher would have a problem with it out there on the internet, but I'm sure the distributors will have objections.   :D
**Kerri**

MariaEvri

Quote from: "rlrose328"It's still in the theaters, Maria...I doubt it's on YouTube yet.  I doubt Bill Maher would have a problem with it out there on the internet, but I'm sure the distributors will have objections.   :D

well then
If its still in the tehaters in america, it should come here within the next half year or so
Ill keep my eeys open.
Although I dont think my friends will wnat to go see it heh
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

quizlixx

this is one of those times where i hate my age, but it'll come out on hbo in a year or so.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."