News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

The Association Football Thread

Started by Crow, October 17, 2015, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

As my thread disappeared and I am too impatient I am rebooting it.

A lot has happened in the mini drama that is football since the site went down. Most obvious is the excellence of Lewandowski of Bayern Munch smashing goal after goal in, especially the 5 goals in 9 mins and quickly rising to one of the best footballers of the moment. Though how long that will last remains to be seen (obviously) but pretty damn good for a guy who was going to become a signing for Blackburn Rovers but couldn't make his flight due to volcanic ash and missed the transfer window.

Manchester United went top of the league for the first time since Ferguson left the club even though it only lasted a week and Arsenal absolutely battered them (fantastic display from Arsenal and highly entertaining) which was the first decent club they had come against all season. Manchester City are still top of the league but going into this weekend with a lot of important injuries and have champions league then the derby the following weekend that could play into Arsenal and United hands who aren't close behind. Aguero smashed in 5 against Newcastle in a Premier League record then went and got injured in international duty, as did Silva :(. But on the positive side City have now become one of the top 6 earning clubs in profit from their own revenue but unlike the others have no debt and that is with a fine of 50 million by UEFA and caps. De Bruyne is quality though, the best signing since Silva.

Liverpool have now got Klopp as a manager so they should start to become a serious threat again in the next season, though he has a lot of work to do. I will end with a bunch of gifs of him because he is fun.

Retired member.

OldGit

Hereford United went bust but have been re-created under a slightly different name.

Tom62

And in the Netherlands they decided to skip the European Championship. All that hassle to play decent quality football, was just too much to ask for.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Crow

Quote from: Tom62 on October 18, 2015, 02:15:19 PM
And in the Netherlands they decided to skip the European Championship. All that hassle to play decent quality football, was just too much to ask for.

RVP with that own goal as well I watched a bit of it and knew the Dutch must have been fuming especially after their brilliant display in Brazil. England did similar in 2012, I enjoyed that tournament a bit more than usual and the papers were better reading during it.

It was the Manchester derby today and expectedly turgid due to the positions of the two teams. Neither team could afford the loss if they wanted to compete for the title and what you got was a very defensive game, one of those that aren't into football would hate. Overall I was happy City are top of the league and in a better position for the home game when Silva and Aguero will be back in action. I hadn't witnessed Pelligrini do the pick up points tactical game before and was happy that he knows how to do it, I now expect City to win the league due to that defensive performance. City almost caught out United with counter traps but they weren't playing pace in the correct areas nor were they pushing the back line, United pretty much changed tactics when that happened which was very impressive and shows they have good leadership in midfield to change approach so quickly.

United needed a win really with the current style of play but can't imagine they would be unhappy with a draw but slightly more worrying for them is they showed little to no ability to break through a side that were happy to let them attack who are normally an out and out attacking team. The only real chance for United came from a chip by Martial when Kolarov played it onside and the only real chance City had was when Toure had a clear shot on goal and spooned it (he really should have scored that as it was a sitter).
Retired member.

Claireliontamer

Okay, WTF has happened to Leicester?!?

Biggus Dickus

WTFx2 is the seeming recurring theme of Liverpool's dire season, and their propensity to concede goals far too easily?

How can you be up by two and draw?
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Crow

Quote from: Claireliontamer on February 06, 2016, 04:26:19 PM
Okay, WTF has happened to Leicester?!?

Not to discredit Leicester as they have had a fantastic run, their new owners and management have been excellent and many of the players have been very good (especially Mahrez) but the success of Leicester I personally feel is down to how poor clubs have been playing this season. Currently if the top four continue on the same form the winners will have a grand total of 78 points, that is usually a 4th position spot at best.
Retired member.

Crow

Thought I would dig this topic out of the archives. I wish football would catch up with the rest of the sporting world with the use of technology.

This is a table if video analysis was implemented:

http://i.imgur.com/pkjKwV3.jpg

That table looks far more exciting in terms of points, from 1st to 5th there would only be three points difference and it goes to show how big an impact an incorrect ref decision can change everything.
Retired member.

Biggus Dickus

Anyone going to be watching the big matchup this Sunday of Manchester United v Leicester City? More importantly anyone going to be at the game? Would love to have tickets to this one, if someone is going I will be envious indeed.

I know most think United will win, as doubters seem to still persist to the end, but I'm going to go ahead a pick Leicester to win.

If anyone cares to have a friendly wager with me over the winner please let me know.

8)

Crow

I think Leicester will win. I hope they win and manage to keep United out of the top four and tie up the league at Old Trafford. They have had the title pretty much since the new year and would be better if they could win it on their own terms rather than waiting for Tottenham to slip up.

I want Leicester to win, Tottenham to lose the next two games, Arsenal to lose the next two, City to win all their remaining games get the Champions League final against Atletico so it is a new name on the cup regardless. Newcastle to get relegated, Liverpool to come back and win the next game by enough it will take them through to the final. United to miss out on fourth and keep van Gaal for another year.
Retired member.

Biggus Dickus

Well I expected the many legions of United supporters we have here to rally around their team, but I think they know all too well when they are simply overmatched.

Sad, such fare-weather fans.

Claireliontamer

I watched the game, actually have upgraded my now TV to get the sports pass for the day so I could watch.  The first half was great but the second half was dull.  That's been my problem with united recently, honestly I'd rather they played the exciting game and lost more than this dullness (and still not winning all the time!). 

I do hope Leicester still win the league overall, it would be a fairytale season for them. However, there's a kid in one of my classes who is a massive Leicester fan (always has been, not just this year) and I'm not sure I could shut him up if they do win it!

Claireliontamer

Tank

Quote from: Claireliontamer on May 01, 2016, 06:01:08 PM
I watched the game, actually have upgraded my now TV to get the sports pass for the day so I could watch.  The first half was great but the second half was dull.  That's been my problem with united recently, honestly I'd rather they played the exciting game and lost more than this dullness (and still not winning all the time!). 

I do hope Leicester still win the league overall, it would be a fairytale season for them. However, there's a kid in one of my classes who is a massive Leicester fan (always has been, not just this year) and I'm not sure I could shut him up if they do win it!
What was the final score?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on May 01, 2016, 06:22:09 PM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on May 01, 2016, 06:01:08 PM

What was the final score?

Draw. 1-1

Quote from: Claireliontamer on May 01, 2016, 06:01:54 PM

Oh and my daughter is going to be adopted. She has declared herself a Liverpool fan.

Yeah Scamp!