News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Stone Monuments of Great Britain

Started by Recusant, December 31, 2014, 08:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

As somebody who has had the opportunity to indulge his fascination with Mesolithic and Neolithic stone monuments, barrows and dwellings, I've visited many of the famous and more obscure sites in Great Britain, Ireland and Brittany, and a few elsewhere. I simply can't get enough of them. I will always be grateful to my dear friend who has made this possible, and with whom I've shared the exploration of these places.

The first show in a new series on the BBC takes a look at several of the more important ones, including a place that I've never been to: Grimes Graves. It's hosted by Neil Oliver, whom folks in the UK will know from the great Coast series, as well as other projects. Oliver talks with various archaeologists about the theories they have regarding the reasons for the creation of these structures, and their possible uses. There is practically no fanciful speculation in the show, which I appreciate, though Oliver does appear to indulge himself a bit near the end.

For those in the UK, it's available for the next month on BBC iPlayer: "Sacred Wonders of Britain" Episode 1 Unfortunately, iPlayer is not available outside the UK, but it may be possible for others to view the show if they have a good connection with enough bandwidth for streaming video like youtube. If you really want to see it, PM me for details.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

I watched it; it's quite interesting.  For a non-Brit it would be even more informative, I'm sure.

Many years ago I visited Grimes Graves when one of the mineshafts was open to the public.  Maybe that was what got me started on caving.