News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

It's good to hear you're fine, Icarus.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bluenose

Spring is finally doing its thing, it's warming up slightly.  Melbourne forecast for today is 19°C (66°F), little chance of rain in my part of town.

Has the hurricane left you in a good place, Icarus?
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

I wonder if Icarus has lost electricity and cannot communicate.

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 30, 2022, 08:47:12 AMI wonder if Icarus has lost electricity and cannot communicate.

That is a sad possibility. :-\

Hurricane Fiona has killed 16 people in Puerto Rico and they have no electricity. Hurricane Ian is going from Florida to South Carolina, North Carolina, and southern Virginia.
—Very sad.

Recusant

Well done battening down the hatches, Icarus!  Hope all is well and the plywood coming off now.  :thumbsup:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

we actually had some real rain overnight. The first for ages.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

The storm is over now.  The beast had some quirks about where it decided to make landfall. It hit my west coast about 90 miles south of my location. That area and much of its infrastructure is almost entirely destroyed near the shore and several miles inland.  The storm hit force 5 for a brief time.  That means that it had wind gusts of 170 MPH.

The worst of it was "storm surge". The hurricane rotates counterclockwise. When the storm approaches land from the left the wind is blowing offshore and the waters of the bay will be sucked out from bay depths as much as 8 feet or more. But when the back end hits the shoreline, we have a surge of water that can be unimaginably deep and destructive.. As much as 12 feet will come ashore, inundate and destroy buildings, houses and anything in its path.

The worst hit area is at a bay called Charlotte Harbor. The city of Fort Myers and Punta Gorda are on the bay. They suffered horribly, both from wind and storm surge. At this count the death toll is 81 and still counting.

The storm took a slight southerly turn after landfall. I had previously been directly in its path.  It had its cental path deflected some 50 miles south of me. The damage in my town was mild but real. Most of the city lost electric power but miaculously,I did not have a power failure. I did lose my land phone, TV, and Internet. Only today has that been restored. 

My front yard has a huge pile of tree branches that blew onto my yard from the church across the street.  I have some oak trees that did not suffer much at all.  They are called Live Oaks and they are very durable even in wicked storms.  The church has about a dozen Laurel oaks that are not as hardy. Their trees were beaten up pretty badly and lost much of their older growths. Their lot has colossal mounds of tree parts that the congregation collected.  They did not bother to cross the street to my place to collect  the detritus from their damned trees.

I may write in the philosophy section about my change of lifestyle while without TV, Internet, or land phone. Our cell phones were still able to make calls but all the apps were unworkable. CAsh was the only useful tender for a day or two. That is because without electric power, credit card readers could not function.  That four day period was like the olden days. I spent much of the downtime reading Mother Jones, The New Republic, and a few other left wing magazines.     

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

Recusant

Pleased to hear that the hurricane didn't make too much of a wreck of your place, Icarus, and thanks for the report.  :hey:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Icarus

Recusants new picture of himself looks a lot like Isaac Asimov. One of my favorite authors, person of great imagination, and sometime raconteur.

As for the weather......There is another potential Hurricane brewing in the Windward Islands off the northern coast of South America.  We look suspiciously at such stuff at this time of year.

The death toll from the recent one has reached beyond 100. That storm was as evil as any in our experience.