News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I don't ever remember things being so consistently wet before. Record rains over the summer with flooding that tore out roads and bridges has given way to a wet winter too. The driveway to our barn is a sloppy mess that can't be fixed until it dries out. That's not going to happen anytime soon.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Ecurb Noselrub

It hit 3 F this morning - that's the worst of it.  Now it will gradually start to warm up as the Polar Vortex recedes. At one point yesterday the whole state was below freezing during the day - quite unusual.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Much warmer here today. Jumper but no coat  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Randy

It's 26F/-3.33C here in Atlanta. That's pretty cold for Georgia but it usually drops down to that about two or three times during the winter.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Biggus Dickus

BREAKING NEWS!

In Texas a man was caught on camera threatening a Snowman with a gun. According to sources he has yet to be identified, but authorities are following up on some promising leads, and do hope to locate him.

According to the Snowman, who at this time has asked to remain anonymous, he was just out minding his own business, and enjoying the wonderful weather, when the man in question came at him very briskly, and in a threatening manner pointing his gun, "right at my freshly packed body", said the Snowman.
He said the man was yelling obsentities at him, and telling him to, "Git' back to where ya'll come from, as we don't want yer kind here'..."This is Merica', and I don't give a rats ass if it's yer' birthday!

The Snowman said he told the man that he was from there, and that he had every right to be there as he did!

A GoFundMe has been set up to replace the Snowman's carrot nose as apparently the man ate it.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

thaw!

i think it hit 33 F today for about an hour. the icicles on the frontporch are still three feet long, though.

i cranked out the one working four wheel drive, switched to two wheel and set out to see whether the road was passable. fishtailed up the first two hills, and then in the absolute worst place he could be was the mail carrier pulled over to the side of a one and a half truck-wide uphill section of ice, waiting for me. he was pointing down and could have crawled over into the snow on his side until i got past.

anyway i stopped alongside him because i couldn't get by and he gave me my mail. i waited until he gingerly started crawling down the ice and then switched into f5our wheel and went on up and out.

so the road is passable, and my lovely wife went to work for the firsttime since last week. her restaurant was so desparate they offered to put her up in a hotel in town if she couldn't get home, but i think she ll be fine.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Bluenose

Lovely weather here (Melbourne, Aus) - temperatures around 30°C (≈85°F).  Sorry, not sorry!  LOL
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Biggus Dickus

I went out for a walk last night here in Michigan, we've got a lot of snow this week, but also a lot of sunshine which has produced some awesome icicles. As a kid my friends and I had a blast playing with these. Either as swords, which shattered into a million, glistening pieces as we duels, or ice spears!

(It's hard to tell from the picture, but those are like 3 1/2 feet long!

(Or are these Ted Cruz's frozen tears after having to do his fucking job, and cancel his vacation while his state is ravaged by power outages and severe cold)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on February 19, 2021, 11:16:25 PM
I went out for a walk last night here in Michigan, we've got a lot of snow this week, but also a lot of sunshine which has produced some awesome icicles. As a kid my friends and I had a blast playing with these. Either as swords, which shattered into a million, glistening pieces as we duels, or ice spears!

(It's hard to tell from the picture, but those are like 3 1/2 feet long!

(Or are these Ted Cruz's frozen tears after having to do his fucking job, and cancel his vacation while his state is ravaged by power outages and severe cold)

I had some of those. I would rather imagine them as stakes driven into Senator Ted's heart. Sorry.  We are thawing out now, and I think that Ted will end up suffering more for this than we did, or at least I hope.

Randy

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on February 17, 2021, 04:25:04 PM
BREAKING NEWS!

In Texas a man was caught on camera threatening a Snowman with a gun. According to sources he has yet to be identified, but authorities are following up on some promising leads, and do hope to locate him.

According to the Snowman, who at this time has asked to remain anonymous, he was just out minding his own business, and enjoying the wonderful weather, when the man in question came at him very briskly, and in a threatening manner pointing his gun, "right at my freshly packed body", said the Snowman.
He said the man was yelling obsentities at him, and telling him to, "Git' back to where ya'll come from, as we don't want yer kind here'..."This is Merica', and I don't give a rats ass if it's yer' birthday!

The Snowman said he told the man that he was from there, and that he had every right to be there as he did!

A GoFundMe has been set up to replace the Snowman's carrot nose as apparently the man ate it.

What's the poor snowman's GoFundMe account? I'd like to contribute to his new nose.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

getting better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kdtac7YiZU&feature=youtu.be

supposed to be 16 C in a few days. when we get a good melt all the bridges down from us will go under serious water

billy rubin

thaw.

so the snow is melting and turning to mud. the high road to town is clear now, because all the snow has melted sand now the alternate road to town is under wataer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PTY-m9vFRw&feature=youtu.be

this is generally the shallow crossing, there are two otherss beyond it, and one is always worse than this. there used to be three more farther along, but the oil companys fixed those permanently . the three near us have been water crossingsfor the last 200 years or so

we have a third road farther downstream  but it will be under water too if this one is covered

there's an advantage to having three ways out of here

Randy

Quote from: billy rubin on February 24, 2021, 10:46:45 PM
thaw.

so the snow is melting and turning to mud. the high road to town is clear now, because all the snow has melted sand now the alternate road to town is under wataer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PTY-m9vFRw&feature=youtu.be

this is generally the shallow crossing, there are two otherss beyond it, and one is always worse than this. there used to be three more farther along, but the oil companys fixed those permanently . the three near us have been water crossingsfor the last 200 years or so

we have a third road farther downstream  but it will be under water too if this one is covered

there's an advantage to having three ways out of here
Many years ago it rained in buckets. There was only one road leading to the home. There was some kind of drainage ditch which had filled up with water making the road inaccessible. My wife called to tell me I'll need to find lodging elsewhere for the night. Two of the contract programmers invited me to their apartment. We went out to eat and then went to their home to have some Coronas. Corona isn't exactly my favorite beer but it was free.