News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Thank you Anne. You could be a travelogue star reporter. My house is not far from several of the locations that were shown in the vid.  I will tell about the Swans at Lake Morten at another time. The Queen of England was involved.

After all my mighty preparations for the damned storm, we had only 26 MPH winds. That is ridiculous.  Elsewhere,there were winds that reached 130 MPH. For some reason the storm headed pretty much straight for my general location, slowly it curved left by a few degrees and missed my location almost entirely.

The outcome was disasterous for some parts of the state in the north west. A little fishing village a hundred miles north of here was almost entirely destroyed. Cedar Key is a small island fishing community that has been there for 200 years. The problem with the high wind strength is serious, but the worst destruction is from storm surge. Cedar key is only about two meters above mean high water sea level. The storm surge sent as much as five meters of water over the ill fated village.  The storm surge also devastated other communities along the west coast.

Hurricanes are characterized by counterclockwise rotation of high winds....very high winds. When the position of the storm is near a coast line, usually within 50 miles more or less, the wind forces water ashore in colossal quantities.Imagine if your house or business was two meters above normal sea level and the sea forces the water level to five or even six meters in height. When the water begins to subside the trouble is only beginning. Among other things, the storm water can and does damage sewage systems. The receding water and its aftermath is then contaminated. Mother Nature is a mean and conniving bitch when she wants to be.

Vicious wind causes much destruction but the storm surge is the most destructive and is responsible for more than half the fatalities.

I live forty miles inland and storm surge is not one of my fears. My height above sea level is about 60 meters, so I am good to go on that count. 

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: Icarus on August 31, 2023, 03:04:48 AMFor some reason the storm headed pretty much straight for my general location, slowly it curved left by a few degrees and missed my location almost entirely.

Not for some reason, it was because of our prayers.

If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Marcusian Pudding on August 31, 2023, 07:22:16 AM
Quote from: Icarus on August 31, 2023, 03:04:48 AMFor some reason the storm headed pretty much straight for my general location, slowly it curved left by a few degrees and missed my location almost entirely.

Not for some reason, it was because of our prayers.

It was The Asmo. :smilenod: You see, them Left-leaning people displeased Him, so He was sending an divine message. He may or may not have turned an occasional sinner to salt as well, but for now, those just be some vicious and slanderous rumors.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on August 31, 2023, 03:04:48 AMThank you Anne. You could be a travelogue star reporter. My house is not far from several of the locations that were shown in the vid.  I will tell about the Swans at Lake Morten at another time. The Queen of England was involved.

After all my mighty preparations for the damned storm, we had only 26 MPH winds. That is ridiculous.  Elsewhere,there were winds that reached 130 MPH. For some reason the storm headed pretty much straight for my general location, slowly it curved left by a few degrees and missed my location almost entirely.

The outcome was disasterous for some parts of the state in the north west. A little fishing village a hundred miles north of here was almost entirely destroyed. Cedar Key is a small island fishing community that has been there for 200 years. The problem with the high wind strength is serious, but the worst destruction is from storm surge. Cedar key is only about two meters above mean high water sea level. The storm surge sent as much as five meters of water over the ill fated village.  The storm surge also devastated other communities along the west coast.

Hurricanes are characterized by counterclockwise rotation of high winds....very high winds. When the position of the storm is near a coast line, usually within 50 miles more or less, the wind forces water ashore in colossal quantities.Imagine if your house or business was two meters above normal sea level and the sea forces the water level to five or even six meters in height. When the water begins to subside the trouble is only beginning. Among other things, the storm water can and does damage sewage systems. The receding water and its aftermath is then contaminated. Mother Nature is a mean and conniving bitch when she wants to be.

Vicious wind causes much destruction but the storm surge is the most destructive and is responsible for more than half the fatalities.

I live forty miles inland and storm surge is not one of my fears. My height above sea level is about 60 meters, so I am good to go on that count. 

God obviously loves atheists as we are the only people that use the brains he gave us in the way He intended. :)

Good to see you're ok.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

25+ in London in October! Insanity!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Today, I had to melt the car windows before work. Frosty. Soon, will also get slippery. :sad sigh:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

We've got daisy's and dandelions popping up in the lawn! Other areas are reporting frogs mating!

Asmodean

You lucky Brits with your cozy tropical island! >:-(
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Tank

Wet, wet, wet. Not the pop group. It is getting seriously soggy here :(

Asmodean

Supposed to be full snow chaos tonight and tomorrow. In fact, I'm letting the car hang out in the garage at work and taking one of them there whatchamacallems... A bus.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

Lots of rain here and it is pretty cold (7°C)
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Asmodean

No snow chaos for The Asmo. He was cheated into riding a bus, He was. >:( Unacceptable! :rant1:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

The English Channel can't have been fun this morning with 100mph winds!

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on November 02, 2023, 10:15:03 AMNo snow chaos for The Asmo. He was cheated into riding a bus, He was. >:( Unacceptable! :rant1:

:rofl: That's weather forecasts for you. Slippery blighters!