News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: Icarus on October 04, 2022, 11:51:08 PMRecusants new picture of himself looks a lot like Isaac Asimov. One of my favorite authors, person of great imagination, and sometime raconteur.

As for the weather......There is another potential Hurricane brewing in the Windward Islands off the northern coast of South America.  We look suspiciously at such stuff at this time of year.

The death toll from the recent one has reached beyond 100. That storm was as evil as any in our experience.

Florida is a splendid place, but intermittent visitation by hurricanes reduces its attraction in my opinion.  :-\ 

It is Asimov. He was one of the central figures on my mental landscape when I was a youngster. One of his purported birthdays is October 4th--haven't yet got around to changing back to my usual Laughing Cavalier.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

We've suddenly had a few hot days after the freezing winter. It is expected to get to 32° where I live today.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bluenose

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 06, 2022, 07:26:32 AMWe've suddenly had a few hot days after the freezing winter. It is expected to get to 32° where I live today.

ENVY, we've only managed about 19-20° the last few days.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tom62

Quote from: Bluenose on October 07, 2022, 06:20:31 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on October 06, 2022, 07:26:32 AMWe've suddenly had a few hot days after the freezing winter. It is expected to get to 32° where I live today.

Same 19-20° temperatures here as well, but in Celsius.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Asmodean

Here, it's all wet and all the leaves are turning shades of brown and just falling off and all autumn-like. Also, it's wet. Wet and rainy. Probably good news for my electricity prices - probably equally bad news for my prospects of having a couple of nuclear plants in the grid for added stability. People remember to irrationally fear the becquerel when they no longer have to pay more than they earn to stay warm at night. :( 
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tom62 on October 07, 2022, 08:07:13 AM

We are metric, so my temperatures were actually Celsius. We are, at last, getting properly into summer now.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bluenose

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 07, 2022, 03:45:19 PM

We are metric, so my temperatures were actually Celsius. We are, at last, getting properly into summer now.

Took the words right out of my mouth.   :rofl:
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Quote from: Bluenose on October 07, 2022, 11:57:40 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth.  :rofl:

Is that called oral poachery?

I may be wrong, but isn't it the case that if a temperature is indicated without a C or F, it is assumed by everyone that the units are Celsius, since just about the whole world is metric?
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

not in america, hermes. we dont educate people in america in the metric system, and most people here do not understand it. no newtons, no centimeters, no celsius.

all temperatures in america are assumed to be fahrenheit.

younger people are better at it, but where i live the metric system is considered an unimportant foreign language. this is weird, because our money has been metric from the start.

i expected nothing but im still disappointed

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on October 08, 2022, 12:37:38 PMnot in america, hermes. we dont educate people in america in the metric system, and most people here do not understand it. no newtons, no centimeters, no celsius.

all temperatures in america are assumed to be fahrenheit.

younger people are better at it, but where i live the metric system is considered an unimportant foreign language. this is weird, because our money has been metric from the start.

That's quite strange, because the metric system is so easy to use. I have feelings of incomprehension and even unease when Americans talk about inches and feet in YouTube videos. I have to try and do quick mental conversions all the time.
― Charles Eames

Tom62

Quote from: Bluenose on October 07, 2022, 11:57:40 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth.  :rofl:

Oops...
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

ive had people tell me that ametica has no need for the metric system, and that the rest of the eorld should convert to what--in america-- is called the english system.

seriously, though, while all the weights and measures and joules and kcalories are all easier than in the american system, using fahrenheit makes a lot of sense for informal cultural reasons. it divides the typical range of western european weather more or less evenly into 100 degrees, and iirc tried ti use human body temperature of 100 F as a calibration point.

when i was in publishing the layout artists always used picas and ciceros

Icarus

Blame the Brits for the imperial system of measure. How in hell did we establish the length of a mile to be 5280 feet? What is a foot? Oh yeah,  I remember.  that is the distance from the ends of the toe to the heel of a certain king or some other fairy tale.

Never mind blaming the Brits, there were a lot of other measurement systems...like stadia, cubits, and such.

Truth to tell, the US has long been in the process of converting to the metric system. It is going slowly but we will arrive there sooner or later. Probably later.  Our medical industry uses mostly metric measure, all except body temp, pound weight, and inch height of a patient.  Medications are always in cubic centimeters, milliliters, milligrams or some other sensible unit of measure.

Our auto manufacturers are pretty much committed to the metric system. We need metric wrenches to work on our modern cars. For a long time we have had 5.6 engines. That means that the piston displacement is 5.6 liters. Some of our MAGA rednecks know that 5.6 liters is the same as 350 cubic inches.  Harley Davidson 61s have one liter of displacement. Other MAGA rednecks are thoroughly convinced that the metric system is part of the conspiracy driven by the new world order cartels.  You know, the ones with the space lasers.   

billy rubin

hey, i ride 40 and 45-inch motorcycles. plus 100cc, 250cc, 441cc, and 1203cc.

some are metric, some are SAE, and some are whitworth, british standard, cycle engineering, and british association. some are all at once.

six volt, twelve volt, and no volt.

i have to use it all.

Tank

It's getting wetter here in the North of England. It has been so dry this year we need this water.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.