News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on August 12, 2022, 01:13:39 PMBecause a part of what I do is onsite work, and being in construction industry, that entails outdoors networking in high hazard areas, hence reflective clothing, helmets, glasses, ear protection, steel toes - the works.

On the upside, I get to ride all sorts of self-propelled boom lifts and other such bright orange nonsense of heavy-duty steel and massive proportions.

Fascinating.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

It is indeed a really cool job.

In addition to ye-regular radio link/open area networking, I also do some secondary services, such as install, configure and maintain our fleet of cameras for time-lapse films of the construction process. Sometimes they also have to function for health and safety monitoring or area security as well.

My "pet project" of sorts is Wi-Fi coverage in low-signal, difficult to penetrate areas, such as tunnels, basements and underground parking garages during the building process. Basically, before there is any sort of electric or signal-bearing infrastructure. I'm in the late prototyping phase with that, and it does necessitate a good deal of on-site work, though that of mostly laptop variety in nice, cool, underground places. Still in full "disaster gear" though.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

We have actually had two days with rain. Not a lot but this is the first time in the last 7 weeks.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Magdalena

Today's high:
108° F/42.2°C
:desert:

Maybe it has something to do with today's solar flare.
:notsure:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Asmodean

Them doomers are of the opinion that it's the climate change, what hath come to kill us all. They also blame our current electricity prices on that. In the latter, at least, they are wrong. Electricity prices are our own damned fault for having put all our eggs in one renewable basket.

We rely too much on hydroelectric plants. They depend on precipitation to fill up the reservoirs. Precipitation varies with no concern for the consumers' power usage, which invariably increases. Up North, the reservoirs are pretty full and you almost get paid for using electricity. Down south, where we do not have a national connection to the North from, we import power through Sweden, where it is expensive and, as such, buy our own cheap-ass electricity back at a substantial markup.

Should burn some of that oil and gas we pump by a shitload - or better yet, have a nuclear power station or three, but no. Has to be all green and nasty. Oh well... They'll change their tune once rolling blackouts prevent them from charging their enviro-cars, see if they won't.

The Asmo wanders off, ranting.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

The Asmo is still ranting in the most dissatisfied way.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Mid day temp 90F, then rain, every damned day. Rain cools the atmosphere to about 75F. Tomorrow will repeat the same process and promote the rampant growth of weeds in my yard. Rain is good, weeds = pain in the ass. 

Icarus

My weather outlook has the distinct possibility of becoming dangerous. Damned Hurricane prospect making up off the coast of Venezuela.  Some of the spaghetti models have it smashing the hell out of central Florida.

This is not an unfamiliar situation for me and other Florida folk.  Hurricanes do not happen invariably every year but when they do, the storm can destroy every thing in its path.

I have to board up windows, batten down the hatches in every detail. Sure as hell my electric power will go down for whatever length of time it takes the utility company to repair the system, days even weeks.

I grudgingly bought a generator today.  Its purpose is to provide some power for lights, refrigerators, and other small demand electric things. I hope that the hurricanes will miss me and I will not have occasion to use it. Then I will have to store the damned thing until the next Hurricane comes along, at which time I pray that it still works.

Hurricane ferocity usually lasts only a few hours until the storm moves on to the next destructive path. Those hours are hellish, often terrifying.   

Tank

You had better be able to use some of that electricity to tell us you're ok!

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

It's no wonder there is a god of thunder in pretty well all mythologies.

Icarus

I hunkered down tonight 9n full expectation of the arrival of unapologetic hell.  The Hurricanes track is taking dead aim at my location. Before it touched land at or near a place called Sanibel, some 120 miles south of my location, the winds had velocities of 155 MPH and gusts up to 170 MPH.

The wind velocity is monstrously destructive.  That is not the worst of it for coastal communities.  These storms....storm is a damned poor description of a Hurricane....are huge air masses that rotate in a counter clockwise direction.

When near....near is within say 50 miles....the top of the storm tends to pull seawater out of the bays that comprise the shorelines.  A normal mid tidal water depth in a bay may have been 6 or 8 feet. Now it is a barren mudflat.  That is the relatively harmless part. When the onshore part of the rotating mass arrives, storm surge is the terrible fear.   The storm pushes seawater inland in such a way that coastal communities can be flooded.  Flooded indeed!  Storm surges of up to 15 to 18 feet, can and do happen when worst case scenarios occur. We are experiencing those worst case situations on west central Florida coast situations even as I write this. Can you imagine that your automobile is so far under water that you cannot see its roof. Shit happens and it is happening now.

I am some 75 miles or so from the coast so storm surge is not one of my problems. Vicious winds and torrential rains can be a problem. I spent all of Tuesday boarding up the windows of my house.  The drill is to cover the windows with plywood so that fling debris does not shatter your windows.  If the windows or other openings are breached, then the storm is inside your house and the roof will almost certainly be blown off.

Aside for all of that I am fine, and I wish all my HAF friends the best......and stay the hell away from Florida during the Hurricane season.

billy rubin

Tank