News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

pretty cold in colorado today tho

at least where i was

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Harmonie

Stayed in the low 20s today. Chilly, but appropriately winter-like, so I'm happy.

Just wishing we would have a winter storm. But those are so darn rare down here now.  :(

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Bluenose

Melbourne is in the middle of a "mild heat wave"  Temperatures in the mid 30s (degreees C = mid 90s degees F) If it goes as forecast by Wednesday itwill be 7 days in a row above 30.  Staying out of the sun!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

snow and ice. park the truck in the driveway, get out and watch it slide ten feet down the drive until it finds s stopping place.

ice on the insides of the windows. snow drifted three feet on the road to town.

living in the downstairs and heating only one room.

winter sucks.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

its too stinking cold when you walk into the kitchen in the morning and there's ice on the cats water dish.

seriously.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on January 22, 2022, 11:37:04 PM
its too stinking cold when you walk into the kitchen in the morning and there's ice on the cats water dish.

seriously.

When I first left home I went to lodge with a little old lady near where I worked. The village was in a valley and when it got cold it stayed really cold. On a couple of occasions I woke up with frost from my breath on the bed covers. THAT WAS NOT GOOD!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on January 23, 2022, 09:32:09 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on January 22, 2022, 11:37:04 PM

seriously.

When I first left home I went to lodge with a little old lady near where I worked. The village was in a valley and when it got cold it stayed really cold. On a couple of occasions I woke up with frost from my breath on the bed covers. THAT WAS NOT GOOD!

Let's finish the story. The day after that you woke up, and the little old lady, her black cat, and the strange liquid in her pot on the stove were also frozen.  So you started looking for breakfast, and noticed there were bats, newts, and wolf bane in the fridge. You decided to hold an estate sale, pretending to be the old lady's son. Wolf bane was in short supply,  so you made a small fortune from the other little old ladies in town. You invested your profits in a solar energy company, made millions, and retired. Now, you stay warm all the time and you are an admin here as a hobby.

Icarus

Cold as a bitch in Central Florida. Temps have been in the forties F or(30 C).   Characteristic pattern is when it rains, cold weather is sure to follow. 

My perception of cold is not the same as some of you damned Yankees. Not even Yankees, Our woodwind lady, Harmonie, wishes to have really cold spells.  I like her, but I do think that she is a bit conflicted about pleasant weather.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Icarus on January 25, 2022, 05:34:14 AM
Cold as a bitch in Central Florida. Temps have been in the forties F or(30 C).   Characteristic pattern is when it rains, cold weather is sure to follow. 

My perception of cold is not the same as some of you damned Yankees. Not even Yankees, Our woodwind lady, Harmonie, wishes to have really cold spells.  I like her, but I do think that she is a bit conflicted about pleasant weather.

QuoteCelsius °C    Fahrenheit °F
-30 °C    -22 °F
-20 °C    -4.0 °F
-10 °C    14.0 °F
0 °C    32.0 °F
1 °C    33.8 °F
2 °C    35.6 °F
3 °C    37.4 °F
4 °C    39.2 °F
5 °C    41.0 °F
6 °C    42.8 °F
7 °C    44.6 °F
8 °C    46.4 °F
9 °C    48.2 °F
10 °C    50.0 °F
11 °C    51.8 °F
12 °C    53.6 °F
13 °C    55.4 °F
14 °C    57.2 °F
15 °C    59.0 °F
16 °C    60.8 °F
17 °C    62.6 °F
18 °C    64.4 °F
19 °C    66.2 °F
20 °C    68.0 °F
21 °C    69.8 °F
22 °C    71.6 °F
23 °C    73.4 °F
24 °C    75.2 °F
25 °C    77.0 °F
26 °C    78.8 °F
27 °C    80.6 °F
28 °C    82.4 °F
29 °C    84.2 °F
30 °C    86.0 °F
40 °C    104 °F
50 °C    122 °F

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Icarus

Good call BP. Thank you for paying attention to detail.   Shame on me for having read my conversion chart incorrectly. 30 centigrade would have put me in the middle of summer at something like 86F

In any case it is unpleasantly cool in the land of palms.

billy rubin

-40 C is the same as -40 F

just stick with that

Tank

On the BBC weather today they remarked on the low temperatures in Florida and that the Iguanas would be falling out of the trees!

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on January 27, 2022, 11:30:46 AM
On the BBC weather today they remarked on the low temperatures in Florida and that the Iguanas would be falling out of the trees!

Does insurance cover being hit by falling iguanas?

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 27, 2022, 04:01:33 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 27, 2022, 11:30:46 AM

Does insurance cover being hit by falling iguanas?

You're the American lawyer, you tell us!  :lol: